New Vendor / Manufacturer starting up (possibly..)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

A few questions for the rocket masses, but mainly for the manufacturers and vendors..

I’m thinking of starting a part time business to manufacture and distribute a few of my own designs. I’m looking at the ‘D-E-F-G’ range of rockets.. Nothing overly fancy or complicated. Just a few ‘simplish’ designs… The plan is to produce one or two designs, see how that goes, then add more as time and money allow..

Does the industry need another rocket manufacturer? (24mm & 29mm motors)
Where do you get your tubes from?
Nose cones? Self designed and locally (custom) produced? Or is there a massive ‘nose cone’ manufacturer? (I know about ‘blow molding’ technology and if needed , will spend the $$ for the dies to produce them locally.. I assume that’s what everyone has done)

Those are really, the only two items that I’ll need to buy in bulk. Obviously, going to a manuf. is cheaper than getting a few from the already established rocket kitters.. (unless someone wants to make me an irresistible offer?!)

Also, this’ll give Canada another rocket manufacturer!!

Is there a market for a well built & ruggedized launch pad? (all metal, no plastic - for 1/8", 3/16", 1/4" rods)

Hi Dr. W!!!

I'm always interested in another kit manufacturer in Canada. There are a few custom tube manufacturers where you can get tons of tubes cheaply.

I would love a local place to get bulk balsa nosecones.

Good luck!!!

Wogz,
Is there anyone besides Estes that produces blow-molded NCs in true 'bulk' quantities?
I'm not sure if Apogee counts, I don't know if they produce anywhere near as many as Estes. I am not aware of anyone else that is in the plastic NC biz.
At the risk of sounding discouraging (which I DON'T want to be!), have you priced out what it might cost to set up production for these plastic NCs? I think it would be great if you could somehow get this going (I'll put in a vote for some clear plastic NC designs where you could install lights!).
Tubes are probably best obtained by ordering in bulk from one of the existing manufacturers. I think it would be hard to beat their quality, consistency, accuracy, and low cost.

Although I haven';t actually gottne a firm 'nose cone' die quite, I would bet it's in the $1000 range. Then to buy the minimums per production /set up run..

Nope, trying to find tubes at a reasonable price. That's my first step. 'Chutes second. Probably will get a seamstress out of school to help. Nosecones, will have to speak to an establised guy, and buy from him, or swallow the tooling costs...

Surprisingly, the most expencive parts are teh 'chute, then the NC, and finally the tubes.

I think there should always be room for another vendor. That's what keeps all of us on our toes! And, people are always looking out for "new" designs and kits. I like your idea of starting with one or two to start but you'll have to watch what happens over a long period of time. Buying trends change throughout the year so don't get discouraged if you run into a few dry spells.

Where do you get your tubes from?
Try the Euclid Company. I think if you are going to need them in quantity, having them made is alot cheaper than buying them from a middle source.

Nose cones? Self designed and locally (custom) produced?
Good question. But, in a pinch, you could always contact PML or similar vendor and see if they will give you a discount in quantity.

The more rocket companies the better!

Euclid is surely the best bet for tubes. As for plastic cones, I've checked on getting them made and it is pretty pricey.

Let us know when you're in procuction and ready to ship. JonRocket.com is always looking for something new to sell.

Best of luck to you,

John (not Jon) Arthur

www.JonRocket.com

Originally posted by Dr Wogz

I’m thinking of starting a part time business to manufacture and distribute a few of my own designs. I’m looking at the ‘D-E-F-G’ range of rockets.. Nothing overly fancy or complicated. Just a few ‘simplish’ designs… The plan is to produce one or two designs, see how that goes, then add more as time and money allow..

As for all things, there's a limit to what the market will take, but it seems to me that well designed, stylish products made from quality materials at an affordable price will always make room for themselves.

And that fine line.. low cost vs. high quality! which is sacrificed first?!

thanks for the tips!

Yeah, I hope I can get somethig going too!

love to see more manufactures but
better look into the blow molds a little more , 1,000 won't even scratch the surface.

I have a connection in the industry thaf works for Mef-co that designs molds including blow molds ,,I will call him and get some basic figures, I do know that it costs more per part to run blow molds than even injection molds.

I'll post his reply / basic quote, on a standard size cone.once I hear back.

I'd say take the quality side of things. Go for good quality kits. You'll probably have customers in no time.

Granted, I have done die costs for extrusions, adn injection molding. Figured it'll be along teh same lines. True, that a 5:1 Ogive cone for a 2 or 3" dia tube is .. big.

Looking forward to the costs from your freind!

Originally posted by Dr Wogz
And that fine line.. low cost vs. high quality! which is sacrificed first?!

thanks for the tips!

Yeah, I hope I can get somethig going too!

Standard rocketry answer? "It depends" ;)

For me, if you're doing standard 3fnc, then it has to be cheap,. If it's something more interesting, the price is less important, and quality of materials more important.

G-10 fins as standard considered 'a good thing'?
G-10 centering rings also considered 'a good thing'? (or do we prefer wood (ply)?)
Payload sections important?
Kevlar shock cords? 12' long?

G10 fins are good

I don't care for G10 centering rings. Just seem as kind of a waste where wood would be cheaper.

Payload sections are important on the higher altitude kits.

Kevlar shock cords are good IMHO

Gl-P,

you shoudl change your 'location' to "in Mr. Martins back pocket". You might then get teh $$$ ('sponsorship' funds) for your carbon cloth!!

:D:D

Back