New V2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stewart32

Reaction score
Upon returning home from work yesterday, I was pleased to be greeted by my wife and 3 year old boy, and discovered a that a package had arrived. A LOC V2 (4"). Of coarse I quickly opened the package to inspect and study the parts which are quite heavy compared to the low and mid power stuff for which I am familiar. But seems like it will make for a stout construction. The plans...
wow! One sheet of about a dozen short paragraphs. This will take several reads as well as dry fitttings. I will got to my favorite hardware/homeimprovement/superstore to find slow and fast setting epoxy. The build will be a challange.

Ok, I have notice on several kits (including this one) that blow molded NC "halfs" do not meet up squarely at the shoulder. Of course ridges on the surface proper can be sanded out. But what about the "gap". When inserted into the BT, there is just enough space when to to rub my anal personallity the wrong way.

Since I dont have precision tools, I think the only way to be rid of this gap is to "build up" the defficient side. But what to use, finishing epoxy.?
Suggestion for remidiation please?

Thanks for your suggestions.

...and BTW, I won this on ROL from DHC at a great price. The transaction (my second) was fulfilled in a timely manner without a hitch.

Originally posted by Stewart32
Ok, I have notice on several kits (including this one) that blow molded NC "halfs" do not meet up squarely at the shoulder. Of course ridges on the surface proper can be sanded out. But what about the "gap"?
I'm not sure how big the "gap" is your talking about but, on NC's that I have had this condition with, I usually just take my finishing sander and "transition" the raised area to blend with the lower surface next to it. Seems to be working well, so far. Again, it depends on how big the "gap" is.

If I was you I'd put the biggest motor tube you can in it:D
probably 54mm. oh yeah

I also have the 4inch LOC V-2. Mine was an early prototype version. I didn't have the 2 part nosecone. I filled the booster with expandable foam, but I didn't realize it added about 1 pound weight to the alreadybarely stable rocket so I have to add about a pound and a half to the nosecone to stabalize it. I painted mine in the black and white checkerboard scheme. Turned out great. If you over build yours, I recommend a 38mm mount beacuse a 29mm in mine will barely lift it (H210R or H232T). Pics later. Keep us posted and good luck!

jcrocket:

Is your suggestion for scale appearance or for secureing the nosewieght or both (I suppose)?

Thanks

your words are very much welcome...

so you ended up using the BT as a mold to compensate for the NC "gap".

What a great idea. Thanks

That does sound like a good idea. After all if what you do to fix it adds weight to the front of a V2 , that's better than removing material.

How much weight do they (LOC) reccomend for it's nosecone?

Back