New tracker range test result

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome to hear about these new developments! I can't wait to start playing with them. :) If I may make a suggestion here... an exponential back off might be an interesting idea to explore. Halve frequency of broadcasts after some amount of time, then halve them again after a block of time, then halve them again... etc. Maybe stop when you get out to some ridiculously long time between squaking... possibly make it user configurable what the slowest update frequency once the rocket is at rest will be? I know if I'm the only one at the club flying with your stuff I'd want a longer time than if there were dozens of others that could possibly see it while in the air. The longer it's been, the less likely that someone will be coming over the horizon *right now* looking for it. I'd even suggest powering down GPS once the tracker is "at rest" to save battery for broadcasting.

Oops, I forgot to replay to this a while ago. After a flight and landing, if the tracker doesn't hear from the ground station after 5 minutes, the tracker goes into lost rocket mode. In this mode, both the GPS and the main microcontroller go into a very low-power sleep mode in between transmissions, and the length of each sleep mode does increase as time goes on. The Bluetooth microcontroller, however, stays awake, so unfortunately improvements in battery life are somewhat limited. But as it is, a standard 400 mAhr single cell will keep the tracker running through the rest of the flight day. Later if I can get the Bluetooth microcontroller to also go to sleep then we should be able to extend the life of a 400 mAhr battery to days.

Oops, I forgot to reply to this a while ago. After a flight and landing, if the tracker doesn't hear from the ground station after 5 minutes, the tracker goes into lost rocket mode. In this mode, both the GPS and the main microcontroller go into a very low-power sleep mode in between transmissions, and the length of each sleep mode does increase as time goes on. The Bluetooth microcontroller, however, stays awake, so unfortunately improvements in battery life are somewhat limited. But as it is, a standard 400 mAhr single cell will keep the tracker running through the rest of the flight day. Later if I can get the Bluetooth microcontroller to also go to sleep then we should be able to extend the life of a 400 mAhr battery to days.

I should have known you were already on top of that. :)

We sometimes have a guy with a drone at our launches, they've occasionally flown it in a search pattern to find lost rockets out in the sage... I'd just want to send another tracker along with it instead... let it relay the lost rocket ping. Not that I've lost a rocket yet with a featherweight in it. ;) But I am about to step up to L2 flights this summer, so who knows what might happen.

You can set the two trackers to different frequencies, and then select between them using the selection wheel on the GPS page.

Hey Adrian,

I haven’t had any luck with this. For example,

Set GS to 905.00
Set tracker 1 to 906.00
Set track 2 to 904.00

No communication at all.

Set GS to 905.00
Set tracker 1 to 906.00
Set tracker 2 to 905.00

Only tracker 2 is able to connect.

Set them all the same and it’ll just let you see one (I think the first connected) and things can get weird.

Just thought I’d throw that out there. Not sure if I misunderstood what you were talking about or suggesting.

The frequencies need to match in order for the communication to happen, so with the 3 units set for 904, 905 and 906 MHz, no communication is the expected result. In your second case, the tracker 2 was in communication as expected. To switch between 2 trackers, you can set the trackers to different frequencies and then change the ground station to one or the other frequency, either by modifying the GS in the the My Devices tab, or by selecting a different tracker with the selection wheel at the bottom of the GPS tab. When you do that, it changes the GS frequency in the background to match the tracker you have selected.

Kevin Small has been an invaluable partner writing software for Featherweight Altimeters, starting with the Featherweight Interface Program for the Parrot altimeter almost 10 years ago, extending it to the Raven, and most recently writing the iOS phone app for the Featherweight GPS tracker, as well as the code for the Bluetooth module that the phone talks to. I have been fortunate to get his time and skill, which have made Featherweight Altimeters possible. But his responsibility and recognition in his day job have been increasing, so he has naturally had less time and energy available for Featherweight Altimeters. Going forward, I am looking for additional software development help, starting with making an Android version of the tracking app. One of the things that has made Kevin's work successful is his passion for rockets, providing insight into what our customers need and want that would be hard to explain to someone outside of the hobby, which is why I'm making this announcement here. Compensation will be in the form of profit-sharing royalties. If you're interested, or know of a good developer who would be interested, please send an email to [email protected].

To switch between 2 trackers, you can set the trackers to different frequencies and then change the ground station to one or the other frequency, either by modifying the GS in the the My Devices tab, or by selecting a different tracker with the selection wheel at the bottom of the GPS tab. When you do that, it changes the GS frequency in the background to match the tracker you have selected.

Okay cool. Thanks Adrian. I’ll play with this. Last time I did this (I think I did it like you are describing) it wouldn’t switch between the two. It was a situation where we put one in a booster and the other in the sustainer. I could never get it to show the coordinates or point to the sustainer. Even when I switched the wheel to sustainer tracker, it was still walking me to the booster. I tried to kill and reopens the app, etc but no such luck that day. I’ll try this again and do some experimenting.

Thanks for the response.

A couple of weeks ago, Kevin flew a new Raven4 altimeter together with a Featherweight GPS unit with the latest software, which performs 10 Hz data logging. We're still working on getting the logged data down through the phone, but in the meantime, here is data that was recorded and downloaded another way.

First up is altitude vs. time, which shows that we had good GPS data throughout the flight, and good accuracy performance from the Raven4's new accelerometer.

upload_2019-4-26_11-46-33.png
The difference between the accelerometer-based apogee altitude and the GPS AGL altitude was 1%, closer even closer than the baro-based altitude, which is about 2% low, due to flying in warmer conditions than the standard atmosphere model assumes.

The Featherweight GPS tracker only logs GPS points to the file when they pass the GPS receiver validity checks, so all of the points you see in the graph are valid data. 96% of the possible GPS measurements were valid in this flight. The next plot shows how many satellites had strong, good, and acceptable signal strength during the flight:

upload_2019-4-26_11-44-11.png
During the boost, the receiver lost lock on a few satellites, but still had enough for a solution throughout the flight.

The graph below shows that the new U-Blox 8th-generation receivers are great at velocity measurement as well:

upload_2019-4-26_11-47-16.png

There is excellent agreement between the Raven 4's acclerometer-derived velocity and the GPS velocity. The GPS provides the velocity in 3 dimensions relative to the ground, while the accelerometer only knows what the velocity is in the direction of the rocket, wherever it's pointing (assumed upward until apogee). This is potentially a big advantage for using GPS for measuring velocity, since it also can be used to calculate the flight angle, as shown above. You can see that during the boost the flight angle was around 3 degrees, and stayed under 10 degrees until 16 seconds into the flight. At apogee, the flight angle is 90 degrees (by definition) At some point I'm going to make a combined GPS tracker/altimeter that uses the GPS-based flight angle as a safety check for airstarts.

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-26_11-46-53.png
    upload_2019-4-26_11-46-53.png
    74.5 KB · Views: 62
Back