New "Toy"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Reaction score
My Magnum glassing project is almost done, so I decided to buy an AMW 54/1050 motor. So I sold some RC loads I had, and used the money to purchase this :)

Asses_Installed_smaller.jpg

The external finish on the outside is rough, some places just plain UGLY... you can see the machine marks clear as day. However, the internal finish is beautiful :). As long as it works, I don't care.

I also payed for two loads... so I will have something to fly my Magnum with at the next two CMASS launches. I think Oct 2nd I will go with A J357 White Wolf :).

1050_motor.jpg

thats some nice hardware Doug:)
don't forget to take a pic of the flight on a J357 WW

Originally posted by Donaldsrockets
Cool motor Doug.

Can I borrow it???:D

Um... sure... If you happen to be at the same launch as I (and you clean it :D).

I decided to throw in a couple G64's into the Magnum launch with the J357.

I wish I knew. I showed the case to my Dad and he said they ran a scour pad over it. I don't know... Looks like sloppy work to me...

All AMW stuff doesn't show the original machining pattern, they tend to sand it or something. I believe it's so the Anodizing adheres better, I could be wrong.

the case looks fine to me.....100% like any other case....I dont know what the problem is.

if you are talking about the lines that go back and forth over the entire case that is what all AMW looks like, it is the mil spec hardcoat anodization

Originally posted by Ryan S.
if you are talking about the lines that go back and forth over the entire case that is what all AMW looks like, it is the mil spec hardcoat anodization

Um, I don't think it's that... AeroPack retainers are finished with "mil-spec hardcoat anodization" (Type II), and they aren't all grooved up like that. Besides, the process of anodizing simply builds up an extra-thick layer of Aluminum Oxide on the outside of the case, making it virtually impervious to the elements. Just don't smear Mercury on it... the case will rust into pieces ;)

I personally think the spiral pattern is cool looking!

I like the color blue myself. Fire up a J480 in that bad boy, Doug!

I showed it to my Dad again. He says there is no sign of anodizing on it. I don't know... If the finish is clear, would it look like this?

Question: Is the eye-bolt designed for anchoring your recovery system, or not? I know you use it to pull out the for. closure, but i have heard people say things that make it sound as it you can put the cord to it... Thanks..:)

I would not attach the recovery system to it... I would however, use it as a back up to motor retention... just in case type of thing...

Its mostly used to pull the forward closure out :).

Here's a picture of what it looks like with and with out Doug.
The nozzle has been anodized.

Originally posted by n3tjm
I showed it to my Dad again. He says there is no sign of anodizing on it. I don't know... If the finish is clear, would it look like this?

Here's a way to check and see if it was anodized or not... I learned this trick from someone a while back to see if the anodizing was worn off a Dr. Rocket case I had.

Take out your DVM. Every good rocketeer has one. Measure and see if you get continuity on the surface of the aluminum. If you do, it's not anodized.

The AMW cases are a very dark grey in color. I think they are anodized, simply because aluminum isn't naturally that color.

Maybe they're using some sort of secret metal for their cases... hmmm...

Doug,

The outside finish shouldn't matter that much. I know that 54mm tubing is hard to come by so some people use Schedule 80 2" 6061-T6 pipe and turn it down to the correct size. The ID is okay though. The outside finish really doesn't matter that much does it? I bet they just run a pad over it to get it to the proper finish OD. Looks fine to me though and from the pics it looks anodized.

Edward

Originally posted by Justin Horne
Question: Is the eye-bolt designed for anchoring your recovery system, or not? I know you use it to pull out the for. closure, but i have heard people say things that make it sound as it you can put the cord to it... Thanks..:)

Yup. It is the strongest part of your rocket! It is the perfect place for recovery attachment. The only thing I would do would be to put in some thread lock so the eyebolt does not unscrew itself if your shock cord is really spinning.

P.S. Works very, very well in minimum diamter rockets.

I just got my new toy today.....a 38mm 16" Loki case with a .437" nozzle........it looks mean!

Back