New to the UK - Seeking Others Interested in Liquid Fuel

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennifer Edwards

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am new to the UK and am seeking a group or other individuals, hopefully in the East Yorkshire area, who are interested in liquid fuel engine design. I relocated to this area from western Florida about three years ago. During this time I have been busy assembling my model engineering shop and building scale model steam and internal combustion engines from blueprints.

What I am looking for is other individuals or groups that are interested in designing, buiding, testing and eventually flying liquid fueled amateur rocket engines.

I would also appreciate any direction I can get on the legal implications of a project like this. Are there restrictions on amateur rocketry in the UK and etc.

Thank you!
Jennifer

What I am looking for is other individuals or groups that are interested in designing, buiding, testing and eventually flying liquid fueled amateur rocket engines.

I would also appreciate any direction I can get on the legal implications of a project like this. Are there restrictions on amateur rocketry in the UK and etc.

Thank you!
Jennifer

Welcome to the forum!

Your questions may be better located in the United Kingdom Rocketry forum section further down the main page if you want to attract the attention of those nearer to you.

Also, this forum's focus is primarily on model (low to mid-power) and sport (referred to as high-power) rocketry using commercially available (and personal research) solid and hybrid rocket motors with under 40,960 N-s total impulse.
If you do start such a project, I'm sure folks around here will be interested in updates, but the discussion of certain topics like high performance motor construction or propellant formulations are restricted on the open forum in order to make sure ITAR is complied with.

Feel free to keep posting here, but you may also want to join the Amateur Experimental Rocketry group on Facebook. Lots of international teams post there, and several of them are working on liquid-fuel projects.

[T]he discussion of certain topics like high performance motor construction or propellant formulations are restricted on the open forum in order to make sure ITAR is complied with.
And, unfortunately, since ITAR is the reason for restricting those discussions and you are outside the USA, you will probably not be able to join in. But stay around the rest of the forum by all means. For things like the rocket hobby in general, rocket design and flight basics from low power to high, and the design of your rocket around the liquid fuel motor you'll find plenty of help. Just probably not with the motor itself.

And, unfortunately, since ITAR is the reason for restricting those discussions and you are outside the USA, you will probably not be able to join in. But stay around the rest of the forum by all means. For things like the rocket hobby in general, rocket design and flight basics from low power to high, and the design of your rocket around the liquid fuel motor you'll find plenty of help. Just probably not with the motor itself.

Thank you Joe,

I will certainly "stay Tuned" to this forum. Fortunately i was just contacted by a member of a small group of physics students and post grads who are actively working towards building a somewhat larger engine than I am planning that have offered to share many of their resources and reserch with me, which is great.

Back in the late 1960' i became quite active in amateur rocketry. I designed, built,tested, and flew quite a few of various sizes. I began at first with commercially available model rocket components, eventually moving on to amateur rocketry on the solid fule side of the hobby. I am probably one of the few people who actully loved the mathematics involved.

I found that the the combination of physics, chemstry, metalurgy, and aerodynamics involved in engineering a scratch built rocket quite stimulating. I was active for about ten or so years until i finished mymasters in computer science and entered the workforce which, unfortunately, greatly curtailed and finally ended my participation in the field.

Now that I have retired I have the time, the means, and an understanding spouse so I may once again pursue this facinating hobby.

Thanks again to you and the others that have responded to me so far,
Jennifer

Back