New To The Sport :)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgcgold

Reaction score
Scorpion; Notice the inverted wing tips...

IMAG0932_zpsrnrxvby5.jpg

IMAG0933_zpscdtrowov.jpg

A supberb rendition! Shows excellent modelling skills! Plus, a perfect introductory pic! Welcome to the smoke my friend! Your life will become richer while your wallet...not so much. Straight smoke and good chutes.

Alien Invader; This was my first attempt into the sport a couple weeks ago, and I may do this one again to round the edges and straighten the surfaces...

IMAG0947_zpshs5qyz0x.jpg

WOW!! Nice job. I suspect you have some previous building skills.---H

Not with rockets, but I did build thousands of cars growing up... :cool:

These are new and very cool. There is so much room for challenges and perfection that is sucking me in! lol

A supberb rendition! Shows excellent modelling skills! Plus, a perfect introductory pic! Welcome to the smoke my friend! Your life will become richer while your wallet...not so much. Straight smoke and good chutes.

Ha, I'm a newby, but I'm learning with each one!!!!

Glad to be aboard!

Not with rockets, but I did build thousands of cars growing up... :cool:

These are new and very cool. There is so much room for challenges and perfection that is sucking me in! lol[/QUOTE

Give it time you will be crazy like the rest of us. Late nights building and sniffing dope sealer...ah yeah!

I've got to remember to put lids on spray cans! Do you leave the paper around the can, or do you just inspect the hole to determine color! :facepalm:

lol... That and I probably should find a better place to spray, behind the bar isn't working out, maybe the wife will never look back there...lol

Last edited:
That and I probably should find a better place to spray, behind the bar isn't working out,

Finding a place to paint was an issue for me too. I've got an apartment, so I settle for the balcony. Both my lungs and landlord appreciate it.

Nope, I kind of took liberties and weighted the nose cone to allow for separation of it separately from the body.

IMAG0954_zpsskesckdk.jpg

Interesting design, let us know how well it works, and whether the NC drag separates or if it separates and deploys after apogee.

Almost too pretty to fly, huh?

lol... My boy and I are learning as we go. Our first shot went into outer space, so the astronauts get to play with that one... He's 5... :rolleyes:

The cobra burned on the pad, so either our lugs are off, or paint build up kept it in place, or the angle of launch (it was a little windy, so we adjusted) or the way our launch pad is set up, as a plastic pin comes up and didn't allow the rear booster to sit all the way down and kind of wedged it... So the booster cone took some heat, but with every launch we learn a little more and that's half of the fun it seems... :)

And how about this, we shot a Show Stopper with a D12-5 and it traveled higher then we expected (imagine that...lol). Now it deployed and glided down, but a little further out then we expected as well. It landed about a hundred yards from the launch sight, and as it was coming down a young man saw it, drove right up to it, grabbed it and drove off... That's the kind of world we live in. So there was a lesson in the kind of people we want to be in life, with me and my boy as we walked back...

Interesting design, let us know how well it works, and whether the NC drag separates or if it separates and deploys after apogee.

I most certainly will, but you know, as I look at it, I think I may go with a 6" shoot instead in the payload because, the 12" is tight and probably too big. It may be a smarter bet, to allow easier separation...

I most certainly will, but you know, as I look at it, I think I may go with a 6" shoot instead in the payload because, the 12" is tight and probably too big. It may be a smarter bet, to allow easier separation...

Thats probably a good idea going with a smaller chute for the NC, is easy for them to catch a thermal and then slowly float away....

Makes me feel less guilty about not hitting the gym.

I say no doubt that the sport of rocketeering is real. The mental stamina from build to recovery takes fortitude, and how many people can lay a 5 inch waterslide decal that's only 4 milometers wide, straight and without folding or braking!?! lol...

Good point...

I lost the sustainer of one of my favorite scratch builds (a S-125/SA-3 Pechora/Goa two stage) to a brain cramp and used a 18" chute when I should have used the 12" with a 2" or 3" spill hole in it. It was last seen heading for Idaho from Eastern WA.

kgc, Welcome to TRF! Nice builds!
You will find a lot of good folks on this forum and a TON of information. A lot of the posters here are what we call 'BARs' That's Born Again Rocketeers. These are folks that were involved in the hobby back in the earlier days, had put it down for many years, and are now back. I count myself among the BAR ranks.
Don't hesitate to ask questions. Lots of collective experience covering all aspects of rocketry, from MicroMaxx through HPR. Look forward to seeing more of your builds... and flight experiences.

Even a 6" chute on the nose cone will probably be too big; that cone doesn't weigh much. If it were me, I'd cut a hole in the center of a 6" chute. Well, actually, I wouldn't the cone separate. No need to go chasing after extra parts, but that's just me...

kgc, Welcome to TRF! Nice builds!
You will find a lot of good folks on this forum and a TON of information. A lot of the posters here are what we call 'BARs' That's Born Again Rocketeers. These are folks that were involved in the hobby back in the earlier days, had put it down for many years, and are now back. I count myself among the BAR ranks.
Don't hesitate to ask questions. Lots of collective experience covering all aspects of rocketry, from MicroMaxx through HPR. Look forward to seeing more of your builds... and flight experiences.

Thank you for the welcome...

I look forward to the collective knowledge here...

Like here's my first question. What is the best way to smooth out the balsa surface? Sanding and paint doesn't always flatten the surface completely so that no wood grain shows. Any suggestions?

I'm also considering wet sanding between clear coats, any experience with that process?

Last edited:
Back