New to the Rocketry Forum. Just Sayin Hello.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Friends,

There is something irresistible about this "hobby" we all enjoy. Not sure I completely understand it yet. I love to be outside, walking and figuring the best flights.

I will visit Tripoli MN in May with the intention of joining the club.

Seems like there is some really good peeps hanging out in this forum.

It is very hard to figure out the appeal, isn't it? It's not cheap, that's for sure. It's great to be outside, but one could always take up golf.

Why do kids throw paper airplanes? Why do they toss parachute men off of the roof? I think there is something in us that wants to fly, and this is a close approximation. We get the fun of planning, buying, building, simulating, launching and recovering. And it is a skill that most people in the world do not have.

Hi Rick,
I'm a recent BAR myself. Being almost 50, my only regret is that I didn't re-discover this sooner! Speaking of Tripoli MN, I just had some email correspondence with them recently--very friendly! I'm planning on getting up there at their first launch. I also joined the club/paid membership dues. If you're thinking of joining, you should reach out to them as they may still have an early-bird membership special going on.
Best,
Tim

Thanks to our ridiculously early spring (lack of winter) here in Minnesota, I have already been out flying five times. I went out twice last weekend even though it was a bit windy. I learned that small rockets with A engines can be good fun when it is windy so I ordered a couple more. I have already added roughly a dozen rockets to my fleet.

I experimented with spill holes. I am encouraged with what I saw. Last night I ordered another batch of rockets and I included two small boys that come with streamer recovery so I will try that out as soon as possible. If I like it, I will convert some of my existing rockets to streamers.

I lost a rocket last Friday. I had five great flights and I felt a bit cocky so I decided to try a B engine in Power Patrol (small rocket). The wind had changed direction but I was lazy and I did not move my launch position. The B engine and not changing my launch position proved fatal. The wind caught the rocket right off of the launcher and turned it hard down wind. The wind then caught the parachute right as it opened so I knew the rocket was lost. At one point as the rocket was decending it appeared to be moving faster sideways than it was coming down. It landed so far to the west of where I was aiming for that there was no reason to look for it but I did anyways. A spill hole may have helped but I believe the rocket would have been lost regardless. RIP Power Patrol...LOL

I have every intention of being at the first Tripoli, MN meeting. I work every other Saturday so I need to make sure I can align my work schedule with the Tripoli meetings. But I plan to be there!!!

Rick

New for 2017.jpg

Back