New to the Neighborhood...Hello All

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, that Jag looks like its moving while standing still. Nice paint job!! Your little boy (handsome little lad) looks like hes just a little older than my boy (turned 4 in May).

When am I going to start my first build. Good Question. My closing date for our first home is July 28-30th. Our apt managers didn't like me turning our balcony into a paint shop. Also, just not enough room for a big kit, the little ones are ok for the kitchen table. I will have the garage and basement in our new home and will be able to leave the kit out so the boy doesn't trash it. I might order my kit early but then me not wanting to play with it is another story. I figure this will give me the time to really get a rock(et) solid understanding of what I want to do and how to approach it. Sadly, I haven't even downloaded a single Rocksim. I am better with hands on stuff over computers. I bought my computers for hard strategy games and flight combat sims. Want a "conquer the galaxy" game which will last for months, try Master of Orion 3. Lot of fun...But now I want to build ships for real :D

Hello, went to the NIRA meeting, pretty cool, lot of nice folks.
One gent ( the NIRA VP) actually foamed a fin can of a 3" BBX at the meeting. Speaking of that, I earlier wrote that I wanted to both polyurethane glue and foam a fin can. Well, come to find out, the glue expands as well. Oops. Stick to a CA for fillets and then foam. Also, it seems tough to find launch areas close that allow launching rockets above the 3.3 lb. wt. limit and using G motors. Tripoli of DuPage looks like they might go to areas around here for larger rockets. NIRA goes up to southern WI for their H & up launches. Kinda far for where we are moving to. And the info search continues.... Take Care Guys, Betzbug

One gent ( the NIRA VP) actually foamed a fin can of a 3" BBX at the meeting

Hi Betzbug, just a quick correction, I'm not the NIRA VP. Adam, is the VP, I'm just a regular member at large. Great to meet you at the meeting.

nOrM

Hey Norm, sorry about that. We are planning on going to the Father's Day launch and I hope to see you there. I will check the distances to see which club is the closest. Moving out to Rockford area.
In other news, I took the family out to the park today and my rocket met with a RET. Had the rod angled for wind that was no longer there. We can see it but no way to climb up enough to get it, my wife tried. She's cool that way. The kids rockets flew fine and they built them solid. Gee, I guess I gotta get a new bird to work on. Take Care, Betzbug

No biggie, just didn't want to take credit where none was due. Sorry about the RET. What model was it? How high up is it?

I once got a rocket down with one of those branch trimmer poles... Other people have used telescoping poles to retrieve models. Looks like no rain tomorrow in the area so that's good.

Also, you'd be surprised how far some people drive to be in the club they like. There's a family that lives in the Bloomington/Normal area that likes to fly with WOOSH in Wisconsin so they drive there. I think part of this is that WOOSH is more active in competitions then NIRA is right now so that could be a big factor for them.

Hopefully out around rockford you'll find more open fields than here around Chicago.

Right now I"m still on for the 20th. My 5 yr. should be there too :) We'll see how he does.

nOrM

Howdy, My RET victim was a Quest Superbird. flew it with a C6-5. I had glued the payload section to the lower body tube and had just one of the two 12' parachutes so it would come down a little faster for easier retrieval. Had the ejection not been late I would have been fine. I went there today to try to get it down but it was too high up and I can't climb trees anymore. I even made 2 foot batons with some thicker sticks laying around and hit the bird 3 times to the point of only having a couple of parachute lines holding it up there. Well, I'd rather make my mistakes with the $10 kits. Did the paint up though....
I realized that it'll be a drive to any one of the clubs and it looks like both NIRA and WOOSH use the Bong Area for HPR launches. The Tripoli Quad Cities launches out in Iowa. The mindset for the HPR hobbyist must be that launches are weekend getaways. I can dig that.
Before going to the Friday NIRA meeting, I had taken the 20th off and wanted the launch event to be my father's day gift to myself and spend the day with the family launching our birds. I thinks the kids will really like seeing that there's actually a lot of other rocket loving kids out there.
We went out to look at how the house was coming along and this time we were looking for areas we might be able to launch from as well. I plan to visit the local hobby stores out there and get the skinny as to any local launch gatherings. Take Care, Betzbug

Back