New to Open Rocket and sims

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsmmiller

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am a complete beginner with Open Rocket and have just messed with how it works.
I recently purchased the Wildman Lance Beta and decided I wanted to use head end deployment as well as learn OR for the build.
Since I had all of the parts I weighed every componant except the 22 in motor mount (out of stock)
I spent the better part of two weeks looking at how everything would fit together, laid it out dry and went to work with OR.
This is what I ended up with. Bear in mind I have no idea on motors at this time and just threw a bunch in to see what the stability would do with various size motors.
Again, this is the very first sim I have done so any critique will be appreciated. Right, wrong, why did you?
Thanks

Attachments

• LANCE BETA HEAD END TRYOUT.ork
    516.1 KB · Views: 6
First impression... Not bad. It looks like you reverse engineered a .rkt file (due to the default blue 3D appearance). I've been known to begin a sim project with that (usually for downscales). Reverse engineering helped me learn what I needed to know on getting started with OR. I often find that 3D viewing can help find errors, and it makes for pretty pictures when you take time to do the visual work (completely unnecessary, but looks cool).

On the Aluminum tip, you can "override" the mass, and get rid of the blob on the point of the nosecone (or reduce the Mass object's diameter to zero). Same with the nose/stability weight and the parachute.

First impression... Not bad. It looks like you reverse engineered a .rkt file (due to the default blue 3D appearance). I've been known to begin a sim project with that (usually for downscales). Reverse engineering helped me learn what I needed to know on getting started with OR. I often find that 3D viewing can help find errors, and it makes for pretty pictures when you take time to do the visual work (completely unnecessary, but looks cool).

On the Aluminum tip, you can "override" the mass, and get rid of the blob on the point of the nosecone (or reduce the Mass object's diameter to zero). Same with the nose/stability weight and the parachute.
Reverse engineering to start, just because I had no clue where to start!
It took me forever to figure out the tail cone was just a transition. The rest was just looking at what I had and where it was going, moving the number to make it read what I thought looked good.
I'll go in and reduce those three items diameter to "0" and see how it looks.
Edit:
I changed those values to zero, it looks much better now, I also found the Photo Studio for the 3D rendering. I was looking for something to appear in the same window as the model with the drop down menu on the upper left of the model viewing box.
I also changed the colors so it is much more "visible"
The reworked ORK file below.

Attachments

• LANCE BETA HEAD END TRYOUT.ork
    516.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Hmmm, I wonder what I am doing wrong, that is exactly where I was looking. Expecting to see what your screen grab shows. What I get is.....a white screen.
I'm at work now or I would take a screen grab of what I see.

Back