New to MMX

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kullas

Reaction score
Well i went and did it. i just got a email saying my shipment from quest is being shipped $68 for MMX :eyepop: . i got the starter set to get the launch setup and motors to get the hang of firing these little things. and a bunch of tubes nosecones and motor tubes. i think this is going to be fun

I'd suggest ordering some of the Q2 MMX igniters either from Quest or from Fliskits (actually, Flis would be good cause you could also order a couple of his great MMX kits too). These are standard type igniters with no pyro on them so they fit into the MMX nozzle. Plug with a bit of toothpick or a very little piece of wadding and you can fire it with a regular launch system and regular clips.

MMX motors (including the starter set) come with Q2s now.

But I second the motion for sending a little money Jim Flis' way. :)

MMX motors (including the starter set) come with Q2s now.

But I second the motion for sending a little money Jim Flis' way. :)
I have been looking at Jim's site alot ;) its just that i can only spend what i have in paypal on rockets and the next 60 i get is going to joining NAR but after that i plan on hitting his site up for some great rockets

To tide you over until you can buy some kits, download and build some FREE MicroMaxx designs!

Art Applewhite has plans for a version of his Bic Stic rocket and a page of carstock MicroMaxx Qubits here. (Click on "I Accept" on the Limited Liability page, and then scroll down to the bottom of the next page to find the links to those plans.) Also click on the link for a MicroMaxx version of his Six rocket, a 3FNC rocket with a difference, built entirely out of cardstock.

FlisKits has free plans for MicroMaxx versions of their now-OOP Triple Threat saucers here. Again, scroll down to the bottom of the page to find links to micro versions of Persephone, Athena and Odysseus.

All of these plans produce great little rockets that are a blast to fly. Just pick up some 110 lb. cardstock at Walmart (a ream of Georgia-Pacific cardstock is just over $5, and you can make A LOT of cardstock rockets with it.)

Don't hesitate to check out the other free cardstock plans at both sites, too. You can make MMX versions of them by just printing them at 33%-34% scale (for rockets that are designed for 18mm motors) and at 48%-50% scale (for rockets designed for 13mm motors).

You can launch the Qubits and the Triple Threat saucers in your backyard. For the MMX Six, find a small field to launch it in.

MarkII

Welcome to the world of MMX. I got hooked about a year ago and been going full throttle since. Gives me my "rocket" fix right in the yard between regular club launches.

Once you build a couple and see how well they actually fly....your in.

Make sure you get a couple of Flis MMx kits... they build and fly super!

Over at Yahoo groups there is a Micro forum with over 100 down loadable Pdf's for Micro's, since you already have some tubes etc.

Thanks for the links Mark. I have some card stock i just have to take it to work so i can print on it :)

blackjack, I love being able to fly in my yard i made a spool i fly on a C6 here in the yard so i know i will like these. well if i can keep up with them i hate losing a rocket :) I did join the yahoo group there is a lot of info there

Another aid in downscaling models is a Scaling Calculator we published for micromaxx tube sizes.

Check it out :)

jim

I seen that on your web site i have a rocket i have had for a long time a Estes Spitfire. Its one of my favorite rockets that one is going to be the first one i scale down. I cant wait until i get my parts in the mail

I just got my package in from Quest. The starter set with launch pad. 25 micro motors, 8 LPB's

also in the box was a bunch of small tubes NC'c and motor mounts and CR's

next on my list is 2 or 3 MMX from Jim *just made a order cant wait until it gets here :) *

Last edited:
I went out and flew my new MMX this evening and had a blast :)
I started out with the LPB flying saucer to get the hang of what these things was like. it went up about 30ft i was kinda disappointed it didnt go farther. next up was my Cherokee i built and wow what a difference close to 100ft or better was dang near out of sight the streamer kinda popped out and a safe recovery. next was the Darkstar not as high but perfect recovery i used teflon tape it works so much better. easy to pack and comes out better. next was the LPB shuttle it took off straight and then angled about 45degrees and the streamer never popped

Was a great evening flying all except my quest controller :mad:

here is some pics of them on the pad. I wasnt fast enough to get one in the air

Back