New to forum

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings

Just a note to introduce myself. My name is Will, I'm what you call a born again rocketeer. I've flown mainly low power rockets, D motors and below. because of the cost involved in high power birds,I plan to stay low power. My interest in rocketry was revived last week because of the Discovery Channel's "Rocket Challenge". Thanks to the links in flyrocktes.com I found this forum.

Originally posted by Nighteagle2001
Just a note to introduce myself. My name is Will

My interest in rocketry was revived last week because of the Discovery Channel's "Rocket Challenge". Thanks to the links in flyrocktes.com I found this forum.

Welcome Will!!!!,

We are glad you found us.........I think you have found the best "rocket place" on the planet......

Welcome back! This is a great place to hang out and learn from.

Don't give up on larger rockets just yet. There's a lot of fun to be had with E-G motors without getting into high power. Check out some of the kits from LOC-Precision. Depending on the vendor you'll find they're actually cheaper than some "modrocs" and they're tough as nails.

Good example: a LOC Weasel, capable of flying on everything from D through H motors can be picked up for under 30 bucks from Great Lakes Hobbies (www.greatlakeshobbies.com). Compare to an Estes Executioner, which is not as sturdy and is about $40 at Hobby Lobby - unless you wait for their infamous half-off rocket sales. Then it's a good deal! :D

Also check out Aerotech Arreauxs & Mustangs. Great rockets for under $40, but you have to look hard for the good deals. Another one that looks like fun is the LOC Starburst, which will fly on a 2 D or E cluster and I believe is under $40 too.

Motors at the E-G level aren't too terribly expensive, especially if you're willing to learn reloads.

And if you're staying with low-power stuff, I understand a certain Mr. JFlis here on the Forum may have some items of interest...:p

Welcome aboard Nighteagle!

Nothin wrong with low power stuff! There's great fun to be had with any level of rocketry.

...I've flown mainly low power rockets, D motors and below. because of the cost involved in high power birds,I plan to stay low power...
First, welcome to TRF. I think you will find lots of helpful advice and some good clean fun - I know I have.

Second, I was just like you a couple of years ago and then I ventured into mid-power and now I am into high power. It is not as expensive as you might think. But, then again, you can go overboard with any hobby - even the low power stuff if you are not careful. ;)

Welcome aboard Will!

Watch out for these guys talking about the mid-power and high-power stuff. This is how bankruptcy happens! ;)

Welcome to the forum bro. (High Power) You can launch anything you want. (High Power) Feel free to ask any question you want. (High Power) The only important thing to remember: (High Power) is take plenty of pictures. (High Power) People love pictures. :D

Subliminal messages are a myth. (High Power)

Greetings

Just a note to introduce myself. My name is Will, I'm what you call a born again rocketeer. I've flown mainly low power rockets, D motors and below. because of the cost involved in high power birds,I plan to stay low power. My interest in rocketry was revived last week because of the Discovery Channel's "Rocket Challenge". Thanks to the links in flyrocktes.com I found this forum.

There's a new company to the model rocketry scene (Deuce's Wild!) that currently caters specifically to low power fliers (Deuce's Wild!). Well, I should say that they also carry a mid-power equivalent rocket (Richter Recher), but one of their (Deuce's Wild!) coolest kits, the "Deuce's Wild!" is certainly one of the most innovative (Deuce's Wild!) designs I've ever built and flown. If you haven't heard about it (Deuce's Wild!), just do a search for "Deuce" and you'll see what all the (Deuce's Wild!) hype is all about. Or, pick up the latest Nov/Dec issue of Sport Rocketry Magazine and check out the front cover (Deuce's Wild!).

Welcome to the Forum, welcome back to rocketry, and check out www.FlisKits.com and get yourself a Deuce's Wild! You'll know what I mean once I you own one. ;)

(ok, subliminal advertising tactic. ;) I'm not an employee, somewhat affiliated now I suppose, but just an extremely satisfied FlisKits customer.)

Greetings and welcome Nighteagle.
Just for grins, I did as Eugene suggested and put the word "Deuce" in the search box. There are 201 threads with the word Deuce in them! :)

Hi nighteagle and a big welcome to the rocketry forum from the U.K...We need a certificate from the police and two from the health and safty authorities to be able to fly E motors and above so it's not just the cost which makes high power hard to enter into.Add to that the fact that all motors are far more expensive over here in the U.K.But i love flying low power and i get all the extra umph i need by using rockets which use cluster motor techniques...great:D Its interesting to note your motors were reignited by the "rocket challange",there has been some discussion on this forum as to how and if it will bring more people into the hobby and sport,lets hope you are one of many:D

Welcome aboard. There are many great vendors here. Rockethead rockets, Roachworks. Thrust arrow, The Squirrel Works, and Flis Kits. I think they have their web site address on here some where.

I to enjoy the low power for the same reasons. I have got into mid and high power a little. I just keep going back to the low power stuff. Just do what you like and have a great time doing it.

Nighteagle2001,

Bet'cha weren't ready for THIS sorta welcome, eh?? :D

This is but *one* of the many reasons this is the best forum for rockety on the net. Look no further.

Welcome and enjoy. And don't let all these HPR folks rag on you too much. I've been doing low power, non-stop for over 40 years and it *still* offers all the challenge and excitement it aways did.

Warm welcome. Ask questions, post successes and failures, learn and teach. That's why we're all here.

jim

Howdy,
I'm new to the forum as well. I was born again about 7 years ago and first started back in 1972 with an Estes Skyhook. I fly mod, mid and high power. I do have a love of modroc's though.
Lots of friendly people and help here! Welcome back...
:)

Welcome back Will,

Some of the old names (ESTES) are still out there, as are newer ones as well (Like Fliskits, and Thrustline) And there are even some old/new companies like Quest (They use the old early 1970's MPC molds).

I am a BAR myself after re-discovering my 25 yr old rockets in my Mom's attic two years ago. TRF is a great place to learn, and feel free to ask any questions, as you can see, you will get a whole dogpile of answers!!

Thanks for the warm welcome:)

As I bring my skills back up to date , I'm going to have plenty of questions for you guys....and plenty of photos too :)

Welcome Spaceclipper and Nighteagle,

If I had to summarize in one sentence what has changed the most in this hobby (compared to about 20-30 years ago), you no longer have one mega-company like Estes where you can go for all your major and minor model rocketry needs. Now you have to do a bit more work checking out who sells what, and you have to place orders in two or three places to get all your supplies and motors.

Nighteagle, I too am most enthusiastic about low power. But it's pretty easy to use the same skills for mid-power, and only a bit more expensive if you reload your motors. The bigger problem is getting past the purchase of the reloadable motor hardware, and finding a big field where it is OK to launch (and where you have a 99 percent chance of recovering your rocket)---getting harder to do around the neighborhood for most of us.

This forum is certainly the place to ask question, get help, pick up a lead on a cool website, and all the rest.

Low power is fun - particularly when you start modifying the original design for MORE POWER!:D

I am currently working on an Estes Fat Boy that will fly on a 3x18mm cluster or a 1x24mm (D & E) and an Estes Big Daddy that will fly on the same configuration including the Aerotech F21.

Back