New to board- Quest Superbird question.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainyday101

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post, but I have reading for months and soaking up all the great info. I am a BAR and build and fly rockets with my kids and their friends. The kids have an absolute blast when we shoot rockets, and so do I- so I guess that makes me a kid! We designed our own launch controller and launch stand because we thought we could do better than commercially available stuff. So far we have just shot Estes, Quest, and Custom rockets, but can't wait to try more.

My question pertains to a Quest Superbird that we purchased. I would like to stuff a D12-5 into it and get some real altitude. First off, am I asking for stability problems or will this be okay? Second Quest states the rocket OD as 1.38 (35mm) and the ID at 1.34. Quest sells a centering ring described as-
"CR2534 - Centering Ring - Laser cut centers T25 rocket body tube (24mm diameter engines) inside T35 rocket body tube. 0.050" Thick" Is this the correct ring to use along with a T25 body tube to make the motor mount? does anyone make a motor mount kit that will fit this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Just guessing, but I think you'll be fine on a D12. The Superbird is fairly long for the diameter, which is good news when it comes to stability. The extra weight of the D12 probably won't affect the stability much. You could swing test it with the D12 to be sure, but I doubt it's going to be an issue.

The centering ring and tube you mentioned are the correct parts that you need for the mod. I wouldn't bother buying a mount kit. The tube and rings will probably cheaper in the long run and the hook will already come with the Superbird kit...and I think Quest is the only one who has those rings as a stock item.

Last edited:
Those are the rings. The T25 is virtually identical to Estes BT-50 and will fit the D12 motors perfectly sicne they are 24mm diameter.

This is a fairly long rocket, correct? It should be quite stable with a D12 in it, but you can do a simple check yourself. Simply look over the "Classic Collection" listed in the sticky post at the top of the Beginners fourm.

And speaking of simple: why not build it stock and simply fly it with ValueRockets D10 or D21 motors? They are MORE POWERFUL than D12 motors sinc ethe D12 is not a "full" D.

Thanks for the tip on Value Rocket motors. I just checked their site out and think this is the way to go. The prices are really reasonable. The Superbird is about 30" long. What motor? I am thinking about the D10-5W.

What about the Aerotech RMS 18mm reloadable option? Would this be a financially feasible option. Of course, I guess if you loose the rocket you would really loose!

I have used the Quest Centering Rings and have found them to be thin.
They feel about half the normal thickness used in LPR kits.
I simply glued two together (laminated) to make a stronger ring.
You'll simply have to have four Quest centering rings for the engine mount. Two in the rear, two in the front.

Hope this helps!

Welcome aboard!
Glad you decided to stop lurking and talk to us.
;)

I second all the good advice given in this thread but cannot be held responsible for any bad advice.
:rolleyes:

Thanks Pem Tech, I am glad to be aboard. The amount of information found in the forums is enormous. I have spent many hours searching and reading old forum post. The one consistent thing I have noticed throughout the forums is how friendly and helpful everyone has been. Up until this post I didn't even now Value Rockets existed. Now I will be a new customer. I guess I am going to have to break down and get Roc Sim so I can test some of the crazy ideas that I have. Hopefully someday I will be contributing more and be able to answer a question or two!

rd101;

Glad you decided to hang out with us! Did you also see the "TRF 1.0 Archive" threads? Our server crashed on us last year and what you see here is pretty much starting over.

The archive site is

www.rocketryforumarchive.com

Keep us updated on your family rocketry adventures!

N

RangerStl,

Thanks for the url for the archive. I will definetly be reading through them. Our last family launch was last Saturday. We had my 2 kids and 4 other kids aging from 3-11 years old. We shot our rockets in a farmers field who was kind enough to let us use his field just by asking. We shot a Custom Fiesta 3 times with a streamer on c6-5's. This is a great little rocket and it flew perfect. Next we shot a Quest Astra 3 times on c6-5's with a 12" chute and a spill hole cut in it. This rocket also had 3 perfect flights. Next up was a Custom Venture, 3 flights on c6-5's with a 12" chute. Lost this one to the trees on it's last flight. We had a little wind shift and didn't notice until it was on it's way to the woods. Currently we are building a Quest Superbird, Estes Cosmic Cobra, Quest Brighthawk, and Sunward CFX. Looking to try Semroc, Fliskits (Dueces Wild!!!) and several others from different manufacturers. As a family we love this hobby. Building and flying with the kids is a blast. This is a great hobby where it's okay to think outside of the box and be creative, and this is exactly what I want the kids to do, instead of all the video games!

Back