3D Printing New to 3d printing. Recommend printer.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been reading through. I'd really like to get into 3d printing. Most of what I want to utilize it for is Av bays, nose cone bays, battery containment, deployment charge holders, tracking lcd case and handles and other various components for my builds. Most the rockets I'm doing are minimum diameter 54mm up to 6" diameter. Not sure if that makes a difference on the size of printer I need. Self leveling sounds good. I'd like something that doesn't require a lot of screwing around with it. Isn't crazy noisy. Will print various filament. Reliable. No issue with spending $350 for a budget. What software platforms do most like to utilize or recommend for the first timer.

Appreciate all the help and input.

I bought an Ender 5 Pro. 250mm x 250mm x 300mm build size. Quiet mother board, cannot hear steppers. Not self leveling, but can level it in 60 seconds with just a piece of printer paper. Double Z axis. I used it for a 1/52nd scale Saturn V for my first print. .04 nozzle, buy extra, no matter what you get. I have printed fins, complete rockets, NCs, rocket parts. Was on sale and opened a Amazon store card for big bucks off price, was like 374.99 after all was said and done.. Now I have 2 of em :)

Attachments

• Ender 5 pro 001.JPG
    Ender 5 pro 001.JPG
    238.2 KB · Views: 60
  • spin rockets 002.JPG
    spin rockets 002.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 69
  • X 15 NC 002.JPG
    X 15 NC 002.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 63
I would look at a couple different things. First you mention that you are wanting it to print multiple different filaments. What filaments are they specifically (PLA, ABS, PETG, Nylons)? Each filament takes a different temperature on the hotend to print. If you are looking at nylons etc you are going to need an all metal hot end. Some of the less expensive printers do not have one with it although they are easily swapped out. Secondly, you comment that you don't want to fiddle around with it much. If you want something that is more plug and play you might consider looking at the Prusa line. They are more expensive but everyone that I know that has them loves them for the fact they just work without having to fiddle around with them. I have never used one though, I only know what I have been told by people I know that have them. I currently have a Creality Ender 5+. I love the size and I get very consistent prints out of it, but I have also spent some time upgrading some different parts of the printer. I think Creality does make some really good budget printers to get into 3d printing, they may just take a little messing around with to get setup to your liking. I actually think that is a good thing though because the more you know about how it works the better prints you can often get out of it.

I would look at a couple different things. First you mention that you are wanting it to print multiple different filaments. What filaments are they specifically (PLA, ABS, PETG, Nylons)? Each filament takes a different temperature on the hotend to print. If you are looking at nylons etc you are going to need an all metal hot end. Some of the less expensive printers do not have one with it although they are easily swapped out. Secondly, you comment that you don't want to fiddle around with it much. If you want something that is more plug and play you might consider looking at the Prusa line. They are more expensive but everyone that I know that has them loves them for the fact they just work without having to fiddle around with them. I have never used one though, I only know what I have been told by people I know that have them. I currently have a Creality Ender 5+. I love the size and I get very consistent prints out of it, but I have also spent some time upgrading some different parts of the printer. I think Creality does make some really good budget printers to get into 3d printing, they may just take a little messing around with to get setup to your liking. I actually think that is a good thing though because the more you know about how it works the better prints you can often get out of it.

I've got great mechanical and electrical skills as a master auto tech, I'm also a tech geek by hobby. I guess I should rephrase tinker with it some. I've got some friends that have 3d printers that seem to cuss them as they are always having to fix something that caused a print to go wrong or a failure. Could be older models that aren't as good as the newer stuff. I have no issues with changing, upgrading or modifying what needs to be. I just didn't want to buy something that is like in constant repair mode to get it to work.

In that case I really like the Creality line of printers, especially on a reasonable budget. Once you get them set up how you like them they are pretty good little workhorses, even in their default configurations they can really be a nice little budget friendly printer. As I said I did switch out a couple things since I do print some higher temp filaments and will probably build a chamber to control the temps a little better in the long run. I had one of the earlier kits and I use to have fits with it the newer ones are a lot easier to work with

In that case I really like the Creality line of printers, especially on a reasonable budget. Once you get them set up how you like them they are pretty good little workhorses, even in their default configurations they can really be a nice little budget friendly printer. As I said I did switch out a couple things since I do print some higher temp filaments and will probably build a chamber to control the temps a little better in the long run. I had one of the earlier kits and I use to have fits with it the newer ones are a lot easier to work with

What model would you recommend. I really would like to have one that will allow me to do those changes for different materials, as well as a large enough unit to build what I'd like. Still fit that criteria of not super noisy and possibly auto level

If buying a Creality get it from Tiny Machine 3D, they pre assemble and check the printer prior to shipping as well as making sure the firmware is up to date and if you order any upgrades like a BL Touch they install and verify it works properly. Yes I have a Creality CR-10V2 from them with the BL Touch and bowden Tough tube upgrade, no complaints.

It depends on what you are looking for. I have a lot of 3D printers. I own 2 Creality, 2 Anycubic, 1 BIQU, and 7 Prusas. If you want a printer that just plain works, Prusa is the way to go. It works will all filament types and can be modified to printer ultra-high-temperature filaments. It took me over a year to get one of my two Creality printers to work reliably and have read plenty of stories that are similar.

My suggestions:
  1. Prusa Mini - Priced at about $350-400. It is a flex plate and things are exceptionally easy to remove. It is not the largest build volume but it prints 99% of what I need it to print. Needs much less tinkering. No power interrupt detect at this time but has a filament sensor for $20. This one comes as built or as a kit. The kit will teach you how to build and repair it.
  2. Creality Ender V2 - Better build volume, but the build plate is glass. Not a great surface for ABS or higher temp filaments such as PC Blend. I pulled the surface off with PC Blend. Good quality prints but be prepared to tinker with it. Included power interrupt but no filament run-out sensor.
  3. BIQU BX - Due to be released in January. I have a pre-released and love it. It is an Ender-2 with a color touch screen, the ability to include a raspberry pi, a run-out sensor, and a flex plate. It does not have a power interrupt feature. This is probably the number 2 printer I own. Should be open to public sale in January to February.
  4. Anycubic Mega Pro - Great starter printer. It works right out of the box and needs very little tinkering. Due back in stock from XMAS in February.
Also, if buying a Creality, buy it from Amazon so you get a guarantee.

I personally prefer to have the extra space and not need it so I like the 5+, the CR10 is another one with ample bed space. I know the CR10 also has a direct drive version (I think its the V3) if you were were interested in printing flexible filaments at some point. Both the 5+ and CR10 are $5-600, the ender 3 is a very capable little printer for considerable less. The Ender 3 only has a bed size of 220x220 (8.6x8.6) so when printing bigger things you may push it for space. It just depends on your overall goals. One thing I do like about the 5+ is the BLTouch is already there but you can also add it to the other printers.

It depends on what you are looking for. I have a lot of 3D printers. I own 2 Creality, 2 Anycubic, 1 BIQU, and 7 Prusas. If you want a printer that just plain works, Prusa is the way to go. It works will all filament types and can be modified to printer ultra-high-temperature filaments. It took me over a year to get one of my two Creality printers to work reliably and have read plenty of stories that are similar.

My suggestions:
  1. Prusa Mini - Priced at about $350-400. It is a flex plate and things are exceptionally easy to remove. It is not the largest build volume but it prints 99% of what I need it to print. Needs much less tinkering. No power interrupt detect at this time but has a filament sensor for $20. This one comes as built or as a kit. The kit will teach you how to build and repair it.
  2. Creality Ender V2 - Better build volume, but the build plate is glass. Not a great surface for ABS or higher temp filaments such as PC Blend. I pulled the surface off with PC Blend. Good quality prints but be prepared to tinker with it. Included power interrupt but no filament run-out sensor.
  3. BIQU BX - Due to be released in January. I have a pre-released and love it. It is an Ender-2 with a color touch screen, the ability to include a raspberry pi, a run-out sensor, and a flex plate. It does not have a power interrupt feature. This is probably the number 2 printer I own. Should be open to public sale in January to February.
  4. Anycubic Mega Pro - Great starter printer. It works right out of the box and needs very little tinkering. Due back in stock from XMAS in February.

Very good breakdown right here.

If you have any references or builds of people modifying for the ultra-high temp I would love to see them. I have been trying to watch how people were attempting this and have been tossing around the idea of attempting this. Not necessarily because I really need to just because I think it would be a great challenge. I know the paper on the Cerberus was published last year and did look interesting.

Very good breakdown right here.

If you have any references or builds of people modifying for the ultra-high temp I would love to see them. I have been trying to watch how people were attempting this and have been tossing around the idea of attempting this. Not necessarily because I really need to just because I think it would be a great challenge. I know the paper on the Cerberus was published last year and did look interesting.

I will try to find one this week. The start of 3D printing is figuring what you plan to print. Keep in mind, don't rush to print complex materials till you are good with the less complex. You may want to print PEI and PEEK, but rush to print them will be a rush to failure.

My suggestions:

How large does the Prusa mini print? Capable of doing things the size of eBay sleds 7 to 8 inches long? Housing to install tracking lcd screens and components? Tubes for eBay adaptors? Nose cone parts? Tracker sleds and components? These currently will be the largest things im printing at this time. It doesn't look like these will be available for a little while?

The Creality Ender3 v2 same sizes of print or larger than the Prusa? I hear arguments for some tinker some don't. There is a sizable cost difference.

Is there something Creality makes that is better than the Ender3 v2? Heard someone raving about the 6 and its self leveling and other features? Or is there something else?

Do I need higher temp printing for what I want? Would the higher temps allow for stronger materials? Would this make any differences in the parts im looking to print?

I know I see alot of manufacturers that make these products but I see things I want more from it. An added this or that. So I've decided to either modify and print my own or try to design and build my own.

How large does the Prusa mini print? Capable of doing things the size of eBay sleds 7 to 8 inches long? Housing to install tracking lcd screens and components? Tubes for eBay adaptors? Nose cone parts? Tracker sleds and components? These currently will be the largest things im printing at this time. It doesn't look like these will be available for a little while?

The Prusa mini is capable of 180mm cubes or a little over 7 inches. Anything larger needs two pieces. The Creality is 220 x 220 x 250 mm. The difference between the two is that the Prusa has auto-leveling that is true auto. You tune it in and it only needs adjusting when the bed to filaments are changed. To get semi-auto-leveling on the Ender-3, you will need a modification. My ender-3 works like a Prusa Mk3S now, but it took about $300 dollars to get there and I would have been better off spending 799 on the Prusa Mk3S. It is a much more powerful and reliable machine.

Been reading through. I'd really like to get into 3d printing. Most of what I want to utilize it for is Av bays, nose cone bays, battery containment, deployment charge holders, tracking lcd case and handles and other various components for my builds. Most the rockets I'm doing are minimum diameter 54mm up to 6" diameter. Not sure if that makes a difference on the size of printer I need. Self leveling sounds good. I'd like something that doesn't require a lot of screwing around with it. Isn't crazy noisy. Will print various filament. Reliable. No issue with spending $350 for a budget. What software platforms do most like to utilize or recommend for the first timer.

Appreciate all the help and input.
Prusa MK3s+ is the way to roll. I have a Prusa and an Ender 5+, and the Prusa is way less work to keep printing correctly. I wouldn't go with the Prusa mini even though it's a great printer, because you'll regret the small build area soon. It would be a great second printer though. No matter what you decide on, you're going to enjoy learning a new hobby.

I bought an Ender 5 Pro. 250mm x 250mm x 300mm build size. Quiet mother board, cannot hear steppers. Not self leveling, but can level it in 60 seconds with just a piece of printer paper. Double Z axis. I used it for a 1/52nd scale Saturn V for my first print. .04 nozzle, buy extra, no matter what you get. I have printed fins, complete rockets, NCs, rocket parts. Was on sale and opened a Amazon store card for big bucks off price, was like 374.99 after all was said and done.. Now I have 2 of em :)

You have any issues with PETG with your Ender 5? I have one and am struggling with it. PLA prints wonderful.

Hi Brent, I have not tried PETG. I have printed PLA, PRO PLA and ABS. My printers have been great. The only thing I have changed is the hot end. Replaced with original parts. And of course nozzles. Is yours the Pro model? Both of mine are. They came with upgrades already installed. All metal extruder, all metal hot end, quiet mother board. Capricorn tubing. The only help I can give is if yours does not have one of those items, maybe take a look at them. Mine have been great, my first one printed for 2 months straight on a build. Only thing I did was change the nozzles. And I thought having 2 of them was over kill, but CW has like 15 of em. Maybe he can give you better advice about PETG than I can. Good luck, Dave.

My experience is that the more exotic filaments can be a big pain to deal with. Best to stick with one type and be done with it. For rocket stuff, PLA+ is the way to go. It prints easily and is more temperature resistant than regular PLA. PETG is a real bitch to print with, it is temperamental, prone to nozzle clogs and is very stringy. I have had Excellent results with eSun PLA+ it is reasonably priced and consistent. I would highly recommend the Creality CR-6 SE $399.95 on sale right now, get it from Tiny Machines (They are out of stock on the Ender 3 Pro and the Ender 3 V2), they will give you live tech support if needed via direct video chat on your computer. You get a warranty too. You also need to get a PEI Flex sheet, just get it regardless of printer you end up with. It offers the best bed adhesion and since you can peel it off the printer after its done, you don't jar the printer from trying to get stuck parts off a glass bed (The worst possible idea.) You also should bite the bullet and get Simplify3D slicing software. ($150, discounted thru Tiny Machines) It is absolutely the best and you get support from them whereas with the free ones you don't get support. The free ones are difficult at best to use. (Cura, Slic3r, Prusaslicer (A clone of Slic3r, etc)

My printer: Ender 3 Pro - modified. upgraded to EZRStruder, PEI Flex Bed, Single start Z-Axis lead screw for 4x accuracy, 32 Bit MKS Gen v1.4 Controller, connected by Raspberry Pi 3B+ over ethernet. Using Octoprint.

I'm pretty happy with my Creality Ender 5. If I was doing it again, I'd consider upgrading to the 5+ to get a bigger build volume. There are so many Creality printers out there, so there are tons of tutorial and groups to help you if you have issues. For the price, they are hard to beat.

Plus you can upgrade them as you go. I have had my Ender 5 for 1.5 years now. I bought a BL Touch (auto leveling) and a PEI buildplate last year, and I just bought a Micro Swiss all metal hot end/direct drive extruder. This will let me print almost any filament on the market. My printer worked great out of the box, but tinkering/upgrading is half of the allure.

I checked with a 3dPrint expert, https://www.youtube.com/c/nerys71
He has a couple that are very good. Excellent printer. Auto Levelling, better built than the Ender. Get from Tiny machines and upgrade to the steel flexplate and PEI sheet. Works great right out of the box.

After looking at video reviews online and others. The Cr6 Se has way to many issues for my liking.
Malfunctioning power switch.
Run out sensor that fails even when not out of material.
Motherboards catching fire and burning up
Self leveling that doesn't work right and causes the head to crash and gouge the print surface.
Plus more.

And all the while creality seems to be sidesteppingthese issues. really makes my trust in a manufacturer low.

I do have a concern I'm seeing upon the Creality products. Lots of online support groups. Facebook pages. These are actually where Creality directs people towards to solve their issues. I guess for me I have some concerns over this. I'm going to spend my hard earned money I want things handled on the manufacturers end. I shouldn't have to get nor should anyone get second hand support from other users on how to correct, fix and repair faults that the manufacturer should be resolving on a brand new purchase. Maybe it's my own feeling of this correct me if I'm wrong?

After looking at video reviews online and others. The Cr6 Se has way to many issues for my liking.
Malfunctioning power switch.
Run out sensor that fails even when not out of material.
Motherboards catching fire and burning up
Self leveling that doesn't work right and causes the head to crash and gouge the print surface.
Plus more.

And all the while creality seems to be sidesteppingthese issues. really makes my trust in a manufacturer low.

I do have a concern I'm seeing upon the Creality products. Lots of online support groups. Facebook pages. These are actually where Creality directs people towards to solve their issues. I guess for me I have some concerns over this. I'm going to spend my hard earned money I want things handled on the manufacturers end. I shouldn't have to get nor should anyone get second hand support from other users on how to correct, fix and repair faults that the manufacturer should be resolving on a brand new purchase. Maybe it's my own feeling of this correct me if I'm wrong?

That is why you should get one from Tiny Machines. They stand behind what they sell. They build the machine and fully test it before shipping it to you. You get a warranty and lifetime support from them. Warranty from any of these Chinese manufacturers is impossible to deal with anyway.

Tiny Machines, replaces the power switch. Go to their site and read about what they provide... Those issues you state are false. The CR6-SE has a better power supply, 32bit silent board the levelling works great. Contact Chris Taylor at todays3dprint.com. He has several of these and has had no issues.

Last edited:
That is why you should get one from Tiny Machines. They stand behind what they sell. They build the machine and fully test it before shipping it to you. You get a warranty and lifetime support from them. Warranty from any of these Chinese manufacturers is impossible to deal with anyway.

Tiny Machines, replaces the power switch. Go to their site and read about what they provide... Those issues you state are false. The CR6-SE has a better power supply, 32bit silent board the levelling works great. Contact Chris Taylor at todays3dprint.com. He has several of these and has had no issues.

I'm not sure they are false issues. Took me very little time to find complaints and videos with pictures of motherboards showing burnt up areas on the board. This guy managed to have failures on his uses right out of the box. Including power switch. Self leveling, the run out sensor. He has links to github for issues on the motherboard.

I checked on tiny machines site. The new cr6 does not come with any of the upgrades the Ender 5 pro does. They are all extra money. Good luck with what ever you buy.

Do your research in addition to asking other's input. Take your time.

I chose the Prusa MK3 for my first printer. Now each one of mine is upgraded to the MK3S and soon MK3S+. I chose them because they have been the top-rated printer under $1000 (799 as a kit) for 4 years and running and they have the best support team on the net. All of mine have been printing with less than a weekend of downtime combined spread over 3 years. It may not be the right one for you so do your research.

Last edited:
As you can see,lots of people have big opinions about this. But most of the printers in the discussion (including my comments about the Ender 5) are out of your price range.

The first comment about getting an Ender 3 is probably the most appropriate. That machine is the Estes Pro Series II of 3D printers. It’s fun, pretty easy to use, and a gateway to the bigger stuff.

I have a Formbot Raptor, which is about $1,000. I like the large size, but I have been recommending the Ender 3 for people just getting into 3D Printing. The Ender 3 is a better deal, and there is a ton of information out there about it, which really comes in handy when you are first figuring stuff out.

Back