New Titebond Glue

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCIGS30

Reaction score
So far I have used this new Aliphatic Resin glue from Titebond on one rocket, some furniture, a Guillows model and some test pieces. So far this glue is great, performs like Titebond original except it dries a lot faster. Best part, it dries clear and strong. I did some test pieces where I first sealed the balsa with Brodak balsa sealer, then glued it to another piece of sealed balsa. I added a small glue fillet and let it dry. The balsa broke apart before and the glue joint did not give. Also did a test on a bare body tube with sealed balsa with fillets, could not break the glue joint. So far this glue is working great. My next test will be on a large vintage RC balsa plane and maybe the Orbital Transporter. On the OT I will seal all the balsa first this time and then assemble, much easier than last time of building the rocket then applying the sealer. I will keep you updated on my glue trials.

Attachments

• DSC_0009.JPG
    DSC_0009.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC_0010.JPG
    DSC_0010.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 61
  • FF1242_TB_Speed_Set.pdf
    670.2 KB · Views: 14
So now there's an aliphatic resin WHITE glue?

It's better than that: that one is actually PVA. But good old yellow Titebond II is also PVA! As opposed to original Titebond which is aliphatic resin.

Got that?

Just going by what it says on the Titebond website...

Scigs - is there a shelf life on this? I’ve been checking this stuff out and it doesn’t appear to come in smaller containers. If it starts degrading before I get it all used I’d hate to waste it.

How does it dry? Does it hold its volume or shrink down?

So now there's an aliphatic resin WHITE glue?

Engineer's Rant on

Do you know how confusing it can be for a new person to get told "just use white glue" "Just use yellow glue"?
Do you know how many white and yellow glues there could be out there?

Be clear! Not everyone knows the things you know!

Rant off

After some study I’ve decided that the “yellow” and “aliphatic resin” do not always go together.
More or less...
At least today...
The jury’s still out...
I’M NOT A CHEMIST ! :)

Scigs, how about a little side hustle where you repackage this stuff in bite size pieces for us cheap bas... I mean frugal modelers ? ;)

Last edited:
Yes, the topic of white and yellow glues, PVA glues can be a little confusing even in the wood working shop. Technically all white and yellow glues are PVA. Typically Aliphatic is a PVA glue that has been modified but at the end of the day it is a PVA. Most aliphatics are white and yellow is added for marketing, don't know why, Titebond has said this many times. Titebond II is a PVA that is water resistant and water proof glues are Polyurethane, completely different than PVA like Titebond III. Yes this Speed set glue does shrink like all PVA glues but not as bad and original Titebond. For many years I used Elmers Glue All but was not too happy when they switched the formula back in 2010. At the end of the day we all use glues that work for us, and so far this glue has what I am looking for. I really enjoy the fact when building furniture, my clamp time is much shorter. If you want a PVA with minimal shrinking then you have to use a thick PVA like Titebond No drip formula. Personally I have never liked that glue but it works great when gluing on vertical surfaces since it does not drip much. Samb, if I end up liking this glue I will buy a 5 gallon jug for my wood working and I don't mind sending out small bottles. I don't need to make a profit, just pay for shipping and the small bottle. Just know Titebond already has the smaller consumer bottles for this glue, they just have not started selling it yet.

Attachments

• Titebond.jpg
    Titebond.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 19
Yes, the topic of white and yellow glues, PVA glues can be a little confusing even in the wood working shop. Technically all white and yellow glues are PVA. Typically Aliphatic is a PVA glue that has been modified but at the end of the day it is a PVA. Most aliphatics are white and yellow is added for marketing, don't know why, Titebond has said this many times. Titebond II is a PVA that is water resistant and water proof glues are Polyurethane, completely different than PVA like Titebond III. Yes this Speed set glue does shrink like all PVA glues but not as bad and original Titebond. For many years I used Elmers Glue All but was not too happy when they switched the formula back in 2010. At the end of the day we all use glues that work for us, and so far this glue has what I am looking for. I really enjoy the fact when building furniture, my clamp time is much shorter. If you want a PVA with minimal shrinking then you have to use a thick PVA like Titebond No drip formula. Personally I have never liked that glue but it works great when gluing on vertical surfaces since it does not drip much. Samb, if I end up liking this glue I will buy a 5 gallon jug for my wood working and I don't mind sending out small bottles. I don't need to make a profit, just pay for shipping and the small bottle. Just know Titebond already has the smaller consumer bottles for this glue, they just have not started selling it yet.
FWIW, I have used both Titebond II
and Titebond III on multiple rocket builds, I much prefer II to III
III may be more water proof, but it is runny and sets up more slowly
My rockets are not going swimming
Thanks for the heads up, I will definitely try this new glue when it comes out in sizes for hobbyists!

Back