new ThrustCurve.org is live

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No promises, but I'm willing to take a look. Is there a behavior you want that you're not getting? From my looks it seem like everything is behaving in a reasonable responsive way; it's unclear to me from previous comments in this thread exactly what the problem is.
One task would be to upgrade to Bootstrap 4 (currently it's v3.4.1).

Another would be reconsider the site layout and responsive element breakpoints. As old_dude pointed out, there are some anomalies with the current design. For example, if he rotates the iPad to portrait, he actually sees more columns in tables because the right links column disappears which leaves more space for the main columns. Maybe there are some standard rules of layout I don't know about?

And for everyone: if you see a table that has a lot of wasted space or is too crowded on the phone, let me know and I can adjust which/when the columns appear and disappear.

The code is on GitHub.

Awesome, I hope you can find someone who can help with all this.

Another would be reconsider the site layout and responsive element breakpoints. As old_dude pointed out, there are some anomalies with the current design. For example, if he rotates the iPad to portrait, he actually sees more columns in tables because the right links column disappears which leaves more space for the main columns. Maybe there are some standard rules of layout I don't know about?
That is a quirk or responsive layouts that I would consider... well, if not a "feature" per se, then certainly not a bug.

If there is a desire to show more columns in the landscape view, then it could be addressed by putting a show/hide control on the right links table. I haven't looked at it yet to see what would be a nice way to implement that, will do so as time permits.

Have you considered embedding search parameters in the URL, so you can share searches? Right now there is no obvious way to do it; you just get a generic /search URL.

It's possible no one cares about this but me, and it's not a big deal either way, but I greatly appreciate the ability to share search results on any website.

how about putting the expected velocity back and g forces.
I just fixed a bug where too few columns were showing up in the motor guide results on desktop widths. Thanks for letting me know.

Acceleration units are a preferences (My Stuff / Preferences).

John, it used to be that if you clicked on a thrust curve, you could click on newtons or pounds, now I have to log in and set my preferences to determine what I see and can't toggle between the two, I also used to see the thrustcurve on the main page when a motor pulls up, now I see the bar charts of comparisons to all motors in class when I don't find very useful, is there a way to change that?

I appreciate all you do by the way, just asking.

John, it used to be that if you clicked on a thrust curve, you could click on newtons or pounds, now I have to log in and set my preferences to determine what I see and can't toggle between the two, I also used to see the thrustcurve on the main page when a motor pulls up, now I see the bar charts of comparisons to all motors in class when I don't find very useful, is there a way to change that?
Putting a thrust curve on the motor page should be doable as long as there is at least one data file.

Funny, I thought it was better that the charts all obeyed your preferences rather than having to switch each time, but it's clearly not "one size fits all."

Note that logins should be sticky (the browser should do it automatically for you) since the site uses modern authentication. At least assuming you let your browser remember your password.

The thrust curve for the most recent data file (any format) now shows up on the motor page. I guess I have to do that for the site to live up to its name, eh?

First, the new site is fantastic!

I wonder if something recently broke, usually I can go to "Recently Viewed" and select motors to compare. But now I just get text as placeholders for the plots that used to show up.

I wonder if something recently broke, usually I can go to "Recently Viewed" and select motors to compare. But now I just get text as placeholders for the plots that used to show up.
Yep, I broke that when I added the other graph, but it should be fixed now.

Good morning John. Thanks for all your work. When I go to print the Motor Guide Results, if there are more than two pages, that is all that shows up. The 3rd, 4th, etc. pages are blank. You print a blank page, no info. Greg Olson

Good morning John. Thanks for all your work. When I go to print the Motor Guide Results, if there are more than two pages, that is all that shows up. The 3rd, 4th, etc. pages are blank. You print a blank page, no info. Greg Olson
Interesting. I probably have to add a custom stylesheet for printing. That's something I haven't explored before, but I'll take a look.

Thanks John. Could you add the weight of the rocket, with each motor to the list. Old form would show the total weight of each different motor you could possibly use. Greg Olson

Also I have now found that if you run the program for the same exact rocket, two or three times, the results are all different. Some motors are on the 1st run, not on the 2nd or 3rd run. Thanks Greg Olson

OK, misc. small improvements as requested here:
  • unit toggle on thrust curves
  • style sheets for printing
  • disable table pagination when printing
  • more consistent motor guide results
  • added liftoff weight to detailed guide results

Looks great thank you very much!

OK, misc. small improvements as requested here:
  • unit toggle on thrust curves
  • style sheets for printing
  • disable table pagination when printing
  • more consistent motor guide results
  • added liftoff weight to detailed guide results

This is my go-to site now, thanks again.

I would like to request that manufacturer and motor type be user preferences for the simulations. I uncheck kilma, scr and hybrid every time, so it would be nice to permanently do that

Back