new ThrustCurve.org is live

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been working on an update for ThrustCurve.org for several years, but not very actively. Most of the work was done in 2016, but I never deployed it because it wasn't quite finished. At any rate, last week the ISP hosting the old site disappeared and I was forced to deploy the new site.

The good news is, there are a lot of new features:
  • more modern web experience
  • responsive layout to work with phones and tablets
  • relevant links on each page
  • motor listing by popularity
  • ability to mark favorite motors
  • ability to compare motors
  • more explicit motor URLs are search engine friendly
The bad news is, there is still a lot missing.

As always, if you find a bug, let me know. If you want to discuss an existing feature or propose a new one, check the to-do list first, then create a post here on TRF to discuss it. The good news is that the new site is a lot easier to maintain and enhance.

FAQ

Q. Are the phone apps broken?

A. Yes, without the API, they are broken for now. However the new site is designed to work on all sizes of screens so give it a try from your phone or tablet. I will get around to the apps eventually, but I need to do major work to restore them so this won't happen soon.

Q. My old password doesn't work?

A. I migrated over accounts for anyone who entered motor data or created rockets. First try to reset your password and if that doesn't work, you'll have to create a new account. Note that the old site didn't check email addresses very well so some bogus emails weren't migrated.

Q. How can I change the units?

A. Like the old site you can choose your units if you login, under My Stuff/Preferences. In addition to choosing individual units, you can also chose a coordinated set by picking a "Unit Defaults" such as "inches & pounds".

Q. The new site has a different structure, won't that break old links?

A. The new site should handle old requests and redirect them to the new URL. If you have a broken link that was valid on the old site, let me know.

Q. Why isn't xxx working?

A. Either it moved slightly or I haven't gotten around to implementing it yet. You can see the to-do list here.
Hi, John. First, thanks for all the work. Next, what is the URL for the new site? Is it still the beta link? If so, I don't see anyway to login to the site, change password, etc. None of what looks like links in the top header (Motors, My Stuff, Info, Tools) go anywhere - is that a part of what isn't working (see below)? Also note the the link to Thrustcurve in the Rocketry Resources thread in the Watering Hole is still the old site link. TIA. Google searches still only bring up the old Thrustcurve site.
Untitled.jpg

Next, what is the URL for the new site? Is it still the beta link?
https://www.thrustcurve.org/

If so, I don't see anyway to login to the site, change password, etc.
You don't have to login, but you can if you want to save preferences or rockets. All the pages under "My Stuff" require a login; other pages don't.

None of what looks like links in the top header (Motors, My Stuff, Info, Tools) go anywhere - is that a part of what isn't working (see below)?
I'm not aware of anything broken. Those are drop-down menus. Do you have JavaScript disabled?

Also note the the link to Thrustcurve in the Rocketry Resources thread in the Watering Hole is still the old site link.
The URL should be the same as the old site (thrustcurve.org domain is redirected to Heroku now).

John,
I just wanted to publicly thank you for all you have done and continue to do for rocketry. I posted a copy of your FAQs and announcement for the repairs on the Tripoli Facebook group page and nearly everyone who commented expressed their appreciation for your work!
Steve
+1

https://www.thrustcurve.org/

You don't have to login, but you can if you want to save preferences or rockets. All the pages under "My Stuff" require a login; other pages don't.

I'm not aware of anything broken. Those are drop-down menus. Do you have JavaScript disabled?

The URL should be the same as the old site (thrustcurve.org domain is redirected to Heroku now).
OK, I figured out two things. One, I had setup a hosts files when the old site tanked and forgot to remove the entry (duh!). The other thing is I use privacy add-ins to manage website trackers (Privacy Possum and Privacy Badger). The add-ins kept the menus from working until I shut them off. Thanks again for all the hard work.

The other thing is I use privacy add-ins to manage website trackers (Privacy Possum and Privacy Badger). The add-ins kept the menus from working until I shut them off. Thanks again for all the hard work.
Interesting. That JavaScript is on many sites. (I'm using Bootstrap for the site framework in case it's not obvious.)
I wonder what those plugins objected to.

A feature request is to add a column to the motor guide results with manufacturer name, it helps when there are so many same and similar motor designations.
I just added motor diameter to the guide results. It shows up on the summary only if there is more than one, but always shows up in the details and spreadsheet.

Note that because this app is responsive, there may be more than what fits on your screen when viewing on the phone. Try turning your phone sideways to get more width for the tables.
For example, the tables on the motor guide results include the manufacturer, diameter and more flight stats, but they won't fit on a phone screen in portrait mode.

Another thing to note, you can change the acceleration units to "G"s if you prefer to see them formatted that way. (Under My Stuff / Preferences.)

On the new site, how can we do a bulk download? Is that feature still available?

I suggest when opening the detail for a motor, display by default the most recent thrustcurve for it below the data.

I would also love to be able to overlay the thrustcurves from multiple motors on one graph.

Thanks again for doing this.

I would also love to be able to overlay the thrustcurves from multiple motors on one graph.
You can do that.

When browsing motors, the site remembers the most recent ones you've viewed. You can get back to them with the "Recently Viewed" link on the right. That page shows you a table where you can select two or more of the motors and compare them.

Maybe it's a PC/Desktop thing, I don't see it on two different mobile devices. Anyway, I would like it in the motor guide. Thanks again.

I cannot get the “Acceleration” column to show on my iPads or iPhone but it shows up clearly on my PC.

Maybe it’s a Safari browser thing.

Maybe it's a PC/Desktop thing, I don't see it on two different mobile devices. Anyway, I would like it in the motor guide.
That right, the right side goes away on small screens. I'll add a link to the top menu (under Motors).

Here's what the comparison looks like on a phone:

compare-motors.png

The idea of comparing the motor guide results is an interesting one. Let me think about it. (My first response is there are so many that it would just be spaghetti, but let me try it.)

I cannot get the “Acceleration” column to show on my iPads or iPhone but it shows up clearly on my PC.
Yes, columns are different on different devices. You will see more columns if you rotate your phone. I adjusted the columns that show up for the motor guide a bit. Here's how it looks on a phone now:
guide-portrait.pngguide-landscape.png

Of course, which columns are most important is debatable.

FYI, UI is not my forte, so if anyone is knowledgeable about Bootstrap, I'd love some help.

I hacked the styles a bit so there should be less whitespace on the phone.

Last edited:
That right, the right side goes away on small screens. I'll add a link to the top menu (under Motors).

Here's what the comparison looks like on a phone:

View attachment 431408

The idea of comparing the motor guide results is an interesting one. Let me think about it. (My first response is there are so many that it would just be spaghetti, but let me try it.)

I think you would have a compare check box column on the results and a compare button below the guide list. Probably limit to number of motors that can be compared. That is a really nice compare!

I think you would have a compare check box column on the results and a compare button below the guide list. Probably limit to number of motors that can be compared. That is a really nice compare!

Thats similar to how stock/etf trackers compare, and the interface is helpful.

If John can set it up that way, that's great! If its way too complicated, maybe no-graph is better than spaghetti-graph

I just implemented the "Outbox" feature. Note that now you can get a combined ENG/RSE file rather than just a ZIP to make it easier to load multiple files into your simulator.

Yes, columns are different on different devices. You will see more columns if you rotate your phone. I adjusted the columns that show up for the motor guide a bit. Here's how it looks on a phone now:
View attachment 431410View attachment 431409

Of course, which columns are most important is debatable.
I am able to get the ”acceleration” column to display on my iPad if I turn the device to portrait orientation as that suppresses the the right side menu.

I can live with that.

Thanks, John.

Very nice website, thanks for putting in the work to make such a fantastic resource. It is really quite impressive. For example, I wondered what the highest impulse "G" motor was, and that was easy to do using the attribute search. Just awesome, browsing motors is so much fun.

This sort of "responsive" site behavior is quite tricky to get right on the wide variety of devices out there. Maybe someone with more experience with this sort of thing can help out.
No promises, but I'm willing to take a look. Is there a behavior you want that you're not getting? From my looks it seem like everything is behaving in a reasonable responsive way; it's unclear to me from previous comments in this thread exactly what the problem is.

Back