New This Summer From Estes!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rokitflite

Reaction score
Well,
I am here in Las Vegas at the 11th annual NRSHA show and got to see the new Estes products that will be comming out within the next few months! Here they are... Re-release of the Scissor Wing Transport, The Oracle aerial, digital video camera, The Eagle boost glider and the Astrocam 110 available WITHOUT the starter outfit. Additionally models of 8 of the 27 X-prize ships were shown as well. I will post pictures when I get back home next week!

Originally posted by rokitflite
I will post pictures when I get back home next week!

What?! I will have to wait until next week to see pictures!

AAAAARRRGGGHHH!!!! ;)

I can't believe it. I think the Earth's rotation is going to change directions. If what you saw pans out and makes it to the shelves, Estes is in for a massive REVIVAL! Scissor Wing Transport? Uh - I'll take 3 please! Hmm...digital camera rocket. It's about time some company developed one! A new boost glider too...wow...this is gonna hurt.

Yeah, I am going to get some of the Scissor Wings as well, The packaging says "new improved pivot mechanism", but upon close inspection of the display model I could see nothing different. Also, it is listed as a skill level 2. The Oracle is an E2X kit, the retail will be around $114.99, it will record 17 seconds of video that you download into a laptop or home computer and unfortunately it has no sound.

I hate to say this , but that Video cam price is well, ourageous.....I sure will not be buying one at that price... I have an Intel Play cam that cost me $29, its basically a plastic toy, it record both audio/video for 4 minutes...... Surely the Chinese can make one similar for the same price.......

I might add that all the Intel Play computer toys including this Cam became part of Digital Blue:

https://www.playdigitalblue.com/products/dmc/main

by the way..the original SWT was a Skill 3 kit.....

The Oracle is an E2X kit, the retail will be around $114.99, it will record 17 seconds of video that you download into a laptop or home computer and unfortunately it has no sound.

Scott,

Does the Oracle use a memory card/stick or must the user download it directly from the camera into the computer via firewire or USB?

Originally posted by shockwaveriderz
I hate to say this , but that Video cam price is well, ourageous.....I sure will not be buying one at that price... I have an Intel Play cam that cost me $29, its basically a plastic toy, it record both audio/video for 4 minutes...... Surely the Chinese can make one similar for the same price.......

by the way..the original SWT was a Skill 3 kit.....

i guess that depends on the resolution of the video output...

i'd buy one to put into a BIGGER rocket
:D

Yes,
I know the original SWT was skill level 3, and every bit a level three at that! I could not figure out where they made it any easier from looking at it. The recovery pod alone could be considered a skill 3 in this day and age! I hope they have not gone to a bunch of plastic pieces! As for the price of the camera, yeah its kinda steep, but you figure thats full retail, meaning wholesale is half of that. I expect you will see them on the internet for $65-$75.

Hey Bob,
I could not tell by the prototype, but I would guess it must be downloaded directly from the camera. There did not seem to be any hatches or anything on the outside. I could not get real close wearing a Quest shirt!!!

Not really Bob,
I will be going to Arizona tomorrow and I'll ask Bill about that and see what I can talk about on the forum!

I always wanted a SWT when I was a kid so now I am going to buy 2. and I want one of every X-Prize ship!!! woo hoo!

I designed something for Bill Stine last year, what new items did Quest have on display?

shrox

Scissor Wing Transport!!! Unbelieveable!!!

I cloned an SWT a while back, and it is IMO one of the most elegant rockets Estes ever made (and yes, the skill level 3 rating was an understatement). Of course, I've been terrified to launch it out of fear of having to build the thing again. Once I get my hands on a few of the re-releases, I'll finally get to see one fly!

I can't believe they're passing it off as a skill level 2 (unless plastic parts abound), I thought it was more of a challenge than the Orbital Transport. Can't wait to find out!

Originally posted by shockwaveriderz
elapid:
lets put it this way.....for a $29 cam.....its an excellent bargin and has execllent resolution considering now digitalblue sells the exact same thing for $99....

Here are its specs.....not bad for a $29 plastic toy

https://support.intel.com/support/intelplay/moviecreator/techspecs.htm
You would be better off making that digital blue camera work with a payload section and a mirror than paying $114. Those cams are going for 20 - 50 bucks on eBay!

Hey all,
Just remember that most of us here on the forum are creative folks who have learned at an early age to work with our hands. I would say that at least 80% of the model rocket buying public could never in a million years modify a comercially available digital movie camera to work with a model rocket! I don't care how easy you think it is to do, most people either can't, or are unwilling to do it themselves. Why do you think rocket kits are are so simplistic nowadays? I have worked both on the retail and manufacturing end of the model rocket industry for almost 20 years. I have watched the consumer become more and more helpless in terms of building things and willing to spend more and more money to have stuff done for them. I think that with a slightly discounted price the Oracle will be perfect for many rocketeers.

Display models are not necessarily the new versions. in other words, they may have pulled an old SWT out of the closet to put on display. The new version may very well have a new pivot.

For example, I have 3 models that have the color display cards sealed inside from the new Operation iraqi Freedom line, but inside behind the display dards are the parts and instructions from 'regular' kits. Looks like they were used for display purposes at a trade show. They were donated to our local club for a fund-raiser (or for building and flying) after they were no longer needed.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3191239551

And I've also been told that if you like what you've been seeing (the E motors, big models and re-vival of classics) you can thank the businessman in charge - Barry Tunick. Yes, he has made decisions in the (now distant) past that some of us did not like, but he has certainly made a lot of decisions that people DO like for the last several years. There is also input from folks in the distribution chain who actually know a thing or two about Model Rockets and who have to make a profit to stay in business. Rotating those classics back into the line-up is a very good idea.

Yeah, I am going to get some of the Scissor Wings as well, The packaging says "new improved pivot mechanism", but upon close inspection of the display model I could see nothing different. Also, it is listed as a skill level 2. The Oracle is an E2X kit, the retail will be around $114.99, it will record 17 seconds of video that you download into a laptop or home computer and unfortunately it has no sound.

Believe it or not Estes is listening!

Yes, some of the "guests" lurking in the forum are Estes higher ups popping in to see what WE really want.

About the projected prices...well, that's retail...from what I've read in this forum almost nobody HERE pays retail...if they can avoid it.

Gotta love those 40% off coupons!

sandman

Originally posted by sandman
Believe it or not Estes is listening!

Yes, some of the "guests" lurking in the forum are Estes higher ups popping in to see what WE really want.

Naw, is Estes listened, they would triple their shock cord lengths..

BTW, kudos to Estes on the SWT, I had one as a kid, very nice kit.

Naw, is Estes listened, they would triple their shock cord lengths..

I opened one of my Orbital Transport kits, the latest release, and the shock cord was over 40" long!!!

sandman

Which X-Prize vehicles? I'd love to see a stretched V2 in Canadian Arrow colors.

Hey Chilly,
Yes, the Canadian Streched v-2 IS one of the kits. Like I said, I have some pictures of the booth, but I can't get them up until I get home Sunday night and they were a little far away since I was wearing a competitors shirt. The names of the other X-prize kits are as follows: Rubicon-Saturn 1-B looking with a large conical nose, D-powered, Gauchito-Little Joe without the escape tower looking, mini engine powered, Thunderstar-tall thin rocket with a smaller rocket up top, I guess if you took a Jupiter-C and added alpha fins then stretched it out so it was real skinny with a pointed nose you might be close in appearance, 2-18mm cluster (YES CLUSTER!), Lonestar-A sleek shuttle orbiter looking craft. It looks a great deal like the old North Coast Avatar, D-powered boost glider, Lucky Seven-Kinda ugly like you sharpened a pencil down to the eraser then added fins, mini engine powered, Canadian Arrow-exactly the same as the BT-80 v-2 with a slightly longer body tube, D-powered, Eagle-the only point of reference that even comes close is a new age SPEV, single 18mm powered and lastly it looks like they are going to do the one that looks like an old Centuri Hummingbird, I don't know the name and they just called it top secret but Micromister has already built one of them for micro engines so maybe he will post a picture. The Estes one is an 18mm motor kit.

Thunderstar-tall thin rocket with a smaller rocket up top, I guess if you took a Jupiter-C and added alpha fins then stretched it out so it was real skinny with a pointed nose you might be close in appearance
Thunderstar is the new X-Prize entry from the Brit Team Starchaser, replacing their original Thunderbird design. Theres a conceptual drawing of the rocket here.

Don't think its going to win X-Prize-wise. :(

Good to see Estes bringing out a British design .... a Rapier kit would be cool too (hint-hint!) ;)

Well now, that sounds like fun! I was going to get a maxi V2 and scratch build a Canadian Arrow but I'll be happy to let them do the hard work for me.

It is really good to see Estes putting out some interesting kits again. For any of their R&D types that may be snooping around the Forum, I only have two words:

MARS LANDER

:p

replacing their original Thunderbird design

Awww... I liked the Thunderbird desing MUCH better. Though the new one looks a bit more up to date!

Phil

How about a re-release of Der Red Max, and my all time favorite the Sprint.

Back