New Theory on Missing Flight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another Theory to think about...
It was hi-jacked, flown around to confuse radar.
Landed somewhere, passengers and crew eliminated.
Plane is being prepped for a major terrorist action.

There were a lot of such theories floating around when the plane went missing. But Occam's Razor suggests it's just lost in a big ocean. Here are a few reasons why we can at this point eliminate that it "landed somewhere" and will be used in the future for terrorist purposes:

1. The use of Doppler effect analysis on the satellite pings to confirm a southerly route (over water) versus a northern one (over land) was novel at the time of the crash, and considered speculative. However, in the months since the crash, the validity of the methodology has been proven, beyond any doubt. There is no chance whatsoever that the plane took the "northern route." It went south, over the Indian ocean, until the satellite pings ended. At the time the pings ended, the plane didn't have enough fuel to get anywhere it could land, and the last ping (which was partial, and at an unexpected time) was likely due to fuel starvation being detected and triggering the system to send out a burst.

2. Let's say that despite all the science and observation in #1, the plane actually landed somewhere. One of the "Stans" perhaps. Keep in mind this is one of the most technologically equipped planes in commercial aviation, chock full of special electronics and designed for remote diagnostics. If we're operating under the theory that savvy hijackers took over the plane (which is reasonably likely given the evidence), they still didn't know enough to turn off the satellite pings. At some point the plane would have re-established some sort of satellite communication. But, a year later, the plane is now not flyable. IT takes very specific expertise, equipment, supplies and so on to prep the plane for flight. By now, it's not flight worthy and short of a Boeing-trained crew, it ain't going nowhere.

3. Let's suspend that logic also. You're a terrorist organization, and you've got the 777. It's flightworthy in a hanger "somewhere" and you've muted all it's communications transponders and whatnot. You've even got a suicidal pilot ready for martyrdom. The minute you fly this thing into airspace anywhere near any place you want to attack, it will be recognized as not having proper transponder signals and will be intercepted. Particularly if you are planning to attack Israel, Western Europe, or the US after a VERY long over-water flight.

4. Still not debunked? OK, follow the money. You're a terrorist organization and want to replicate the 9-11 "flying gascan" attacks. There are thousands of aircraft that will do the job that are SO INCREDIBLY MUCH EASIER to get your hands on. Why do this thing with a 777 and park it for more than a year? It's a waste of resources. This isn't how terrorists capable of stealing the plane would operate.

After doing a lot of reading and watching of shows on the subject, my believe is that it was one of two things:
A. A hijacking gone wrong, almost certainly by folks other than the pilots, that ended up in the plane going on a long uncontrolled flight into the Indian Ocean.
B. A multiple systems failure that had progressively severe effects, probably exacerbated by unsuccessful attempts to correct the situation by the crew.

Until we find the plane, we'll never know for sure. But I sleep soundly at night not worried that the plane is out there being prepped for an attack.

Marc

Another Theory to think about...
It was hi-jacked, flown around to confuse radar.
Landed somewhere, passengers and crew eliminated.
Plane is being prepped for a major terrorist action.

Nope. See the post two above yours. Lots of people have airliner-sized personal planes. All the cost, effort, and people necessary to pull off something like that...no way. Buy a plane, buy an airline, bribe 2 guys at some 3rd world airline to look the other way while you do "maintenance" on one of their planes that will be flying near a world capital soon. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to get a plane much, much easier than squirreling away a Malaysian airlines flight and all those people.

There were a lot of such theories floating around when the plane went missing. But Occam's Razor suggests it's just lost in a big ocean. Here are a few reasons why we can at this point eliminate that it "landed somewhere" and will be used in the future for terrorist purposes:

1. The use of Doppler effect analysis on the satellite pings to confirm a southerly route (over water) versus a northern one (over land) was novel at the time of the crash, and considered speculative. However, in the months since the crash, the validity of the methodology has been proven, beyond any doubt. There is no chance whatsoever that the plane took the "northern route." It went south, over the Indian ocean, until the satellite pings ended. At the time the pings ended, the plane didn't have enough fuel to get anywhere it could land, and the last ping (which was partial, and at an unexpected time) was likely due to fuel starvation being detected and triggering the system to send out a burst.

2. Let's say that despite all the science and observation in #1, the plane actually landed somewhere. One of the "Stans" perhaps. Keep in mind this is one of the most technologically equipped planes in commercial aviation, chock full of special electronics and designed for remote diagnostics. If we're operating under the theory that savvy hijackers took over the plane (which is reasonably likely given the evidence), they still didn't know enough to turn off the satellite pings. At some point the plane would have re-established some sort of satellite communication. But, a year later, the plane is now not flyable. IT takes very specific expertise, equipment, supplies and so on to prep the plane for flight. By now, it's not flight worthy and short of a Boeing-trained crew, it ain't going nowhere.

3. Let's suspend that logic also. You're a terrorist organization, and you've got the 777. It's flightworthy in a hanger "somewhere" and you've muted all it's communications transponders and whatnot. You've even got a suicidal pilot ready for martyrdom. The minute you fly this thing into airspace anywhere near any place you want to attack, it will be recognized as not having proper transponder signals and will be intercepted. Particularly if you are planning to attack Israel, Western Europe, or the US after a VERY long over-water flight.

4. Still not debunked? OK, follow the money. You're a terrorist organization and want to replicate the 9-11 "flying gascan" attacks. There are thousands of aircraft that will do the job that are SO INCREDIBLY MUCH EASIER to get your hands on. Why do this thing with a 777 and park it for more than a year? It's a waste of resources. This isn't how terrorists capable of stealing the plane would operate.

After doing a lot of reading and watching of shows on the subject, my believe is that it was one of two things:
A. A hijacking gone wrong, almost certainly by folks other than the pilots, that ended up in the plane going on a long uncontrolled flight into the Indian Ocean.
B. A multiple systems failure that had progressively severe effects, probably exacerbated by unsuccessful attempts to correct the situation by the crew.

Until we find the plane, we'll never know for sure. But I sleep soundly at night not worried that the plane is out there being prepped for an attack.

Marc

Bingo.

If a jet liner went into a nose down dive; would the wings even stay on during the dive?Much less when it struck the water at near Mach speeds.It would be kind of like that joke as to what the last thing to go through a bugs mind was when it hits a car’s windshield at 70mph?What with the way sound travels through water it surprises me that the impact wasn’t recorded by someone’s sub’s sonar.
Australia hydrophones picked up a large sound that could be caused by a plane crashing into the water. It was not however consistent with the flight crashing into the SE Indian ocean search area so this was discounted. I'm skeptical that the satalite data can reliably detect the actual location, it was not designed to do it and I'm sure there are many possible scenarios under which it may give misleading data. If the flight did go down vertically in the search zone then they would have still found it. In my mind the Maldives theory makes the most amount of sense to date.

Australia hydrophones picked up a large sound that could be caused by a plane crashing into the water. It was not however consistent with the flight crashing into the SE Indian ocean search area so this was discounted. I'm skeptical that the satalite data can reliably detect the actual location, it was not designed to do it and I'm sure there are many possible scenarios under which it may give misleading data. If the flight did go down vertically in the search zone then they would have still found it. In my mind the Maldives theory makes the most amount of sense to date.

The satellite ping Doppler effect analysis can't detect location. It CAN distinguish between the two proposed routes, however, and the data line up squarely with what was predicted for the southerly route. See here, specifically the measured vs predicted graph:

https://theaviationist.com/2014/03/27/inmarsat-helps-finding-route/

This was from shortly after they figured out how to do it (so, now it's over a year old), but what is shown here has since been rechecked and confirmed through observations using planes flying along the various routes and having their ping dopplers scrutinized in real time. The plane went south, unless one subscribes to conspiracy theory about the data being monkeyed with at a level that's really unimaginable.

Whatever happened, RIP MH370.

Marc

The pilot was an agent of SPECTRE and after putting himself on a separate air-supply he poisoned the passengers and the remainder of the crew.
He then ditched the plane in the shallows where an underwater landing site had been prepared.
A group of scuba divers staging out of Emilio Largo’s yacht then pulled a camouflage netting. . .

Wait. . .I’m thinking about the movie “Thunderball”

Never mind.

Swissair Flight 111 crashed just off Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia on Sept 2, 1998. The experts believe that the descent was near vertical and it left a massive debris field.

I think MH370 had a slow descent and sunk to the bottom relatively intact. It will be found someday.

I though something would eventually wash up out of the Indian Ocean over time, assuming the part proves to be from MH 370.

I saw somewhere that a conspiracy fan was already claiming that this part is a planted item to draw attention away from what is really going....sigh.:facepalm:

Last edited:
What else would a jetliner do if it ran out of fuel? Hard to imagine a scenario where it gently glided in...
Quite likely to glide. Dihedral gives roll stability, autopilot does the best it can with the sink rate of the glider.

I hope I live long enough to see something from that aircraft land on some shore somewhere...
If it indeed crashed into the ocean.
Plenty of parts washed up on east coast of Africa and Madagascar I think:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37820122
https://www.theguardian.com/world/n...al-guide-to-the-parts-and-debris-found-so-far

Things are washing up 7 years later?
I don’t think I was recently….
The piece was discovered in a fisherman’s backyard and was found washed ashore on the Antsiraka Peninsula South Beach in Madagascar in March 2017 after tropical storm Fernando had passed by.
The finder just kept it in his back yard not knowing what I was.

I don’t think I was recently….
The piece was discovered in a fisherman’s backyard and was found washed ashore on the Antsiraka Peninsula South Beach in Madagascar in March 2017 after tropical storm Fernando had passed by.
The finder just kept it in his back yard not knowing what I was.
And reportedly it had barnacles on it

Netflix has released a three part series "MH370: The Plane that Disappeared." I watched it this afternoon while doing other stuff. While there's only so much that can be done with what facts there are, I think they gave too much credence to the "government actors" and conspiracy type theories. Several of the scenarios posited are properly presented as "what if this happened?" scenarios that open the door to critical analysis to rule things out. But in the third installment they really go through the looking glass for a while before bringing in a few people to refute it.

In whole, it's a bit sensationalistic. While they covered the data, and investigative processes, I would have liked it if they stuck closer to this part of it and spent less time digging into the conspiracy theories. I did like that they interviewed survivor families. Truly these victims of whatever happened have suffered so much and continue to do so. My heart goes out to them!

So the story narrowed down to a search area with a radius of 30km, which is a little over 30,000,000,000 square feet
The 777 is about 64m long with a wingspread of about 61m. Roughly converting to feet and approximating the aircraft as a circle with a radius of 80' (yes, this is a weird engineering way to approximate something), the aircraft has a surface area of 20,000 sq ft. You could fit over 1,500,000 aircraft in the search area. The aircraft is about 0.000066% of the search area size
Still a non-trivial search...

So the story narrowed down to a search area with a radius of 30km, which is a little over 30,000,000,000 square feet
The 777 is about 64m long with a wingspread of about 61m. Roughly converting to feet and approximating the aircraft as a circle with a radius of 80' (yes, this is a weird engineering way to approximate something), the aircraft has a surface area of 20,000 sq ft. You could fit over 1,500,000 aircraft in the search area. The aircraft is about 0.000066% of the search area size
Still a non-trivial search...

Like most humans, I struggle a bit with scale when I'm not trying to hunt a rabbit, evade a tiger, or do something else I'm evolved to be good at.

The above math is a great demonstration of just how big the ocean is.

I'll never forget this one video: A lecture on the asteroid from 66M years ago, it was recorded with an actual audience (I think from a college) and the lecturer had a 4-foot diameter globe of earth on the floor, and a table with "asteroids" of various sizes ranging from softballs to golf balls to gravel to peas to salt grains to flour particles on a table. First, a volunteer was brought up to the stage, and given a rock to hold as a placeholder. He was stationed about 12 feet away from the globe and asked to act out how fast (to scale) he felt the asteroid was moving. He took off at a run towards the globe, wielding the asteroid rock like a club. The lecturer stopped him quickly, to great amusement of the audience. He was now positioned about four feet away from the globe. The lecturer told him he could take a 1 foot step toward the globe every minute, and handed him a stopwatch. That would be to approximate scale. Next, the audience was asked to pick the right size, to scale given the size of the globe, of the Chicxulube impactor. Most kids thought it was either gravel or golf ball, a few thought "pea" was more like it. Actually to this scale it was a grain of sugar or salt; I forget which. Meanwhile the "asteroid" was ever so slowly creeping up on the 4-foot earth, to audience titters every time the guy inched his feet closer. The documentaries make it seem "so much faster" and the asteroid so much bigger. But, to scale, it was a grain of sugar, creeping at 1 foot per minute.

I hope they eventually recover what's left of the plane and learn the story.

Back