New technology for motor propulsion

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would say it looks like the same thing as the rotation detonation engine idea, although I guess it could be a variant that does not rotate. Rotating detonation is also gaining traction in the jet propulsion arena for aircraft use. Many successful experiments have been performed.

The 1st stage of that is obviously a metalised solid. The brief report doesn't really provide much detail as to what stage the new (what I also assume is pulse det) tech is or how many stages there are - probably safe to assume 2, but it's very vague.

TP

Seems working on a controlled detonation managed by a strategic pulsed timing of fuel/oxidizer could be exciting.

One problem with Orion that nobody had an answer for was; what happens if the high-explosive implosion charge detonates but it doesn't result in a nuclear explosion?

You now have a bunch of high velocity shrapnel, as apposed to a plasma wave front, tearing into the "Pusher plate" which could damage the ablative materiel rendering it susceptible to the follow-on nuke explosions.

One problem with Orion that nobody had an answer for was; what happens if the high-explosive implosion charge detonates but it doesn't result in a nuclear explosion?

You now have a bunch of high velocity shrapnel, as apposed to a plasma wave front, tearing into the "Pusher plate" which could damage the ablative materiel rendering it susceptible to the follow-on nuke explosions.

Somewhere, I recall reading that an Orion could miss a nuclear propellant explosion at any time except for the second, or perhaps third, if taking off from the ground.

The propulsion plate that I have seen written about is so massively thick and strong that the shrapnel you speak of is insignificant by comparison.

Back