New Subforum Proposal

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Should there be a new Space Launch subforum?

• Yes

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • No

Votes: 14 53.8%

• Total voters

JCRL

Reaction score
People who have thought about a Space Shot for a long time and understand the challenges will not participate.
That seems like a bad position to take for progress and science. You'd think that if they are passionate about space, that they'd be interested in sharing their knowledge and democratizing space so that it's not just for ultra wealthy tourists.

jsdemar

Reaction score
That seems like a bad position to take for progress and science. You'd think that if they are passionate about space, that they'd be interested in sharing their knowledge and democratizing space so that it's not just for ultra wealthy tourists.
I agree, but you didn't quote the rest of that paragraph where I explained why. The person who could describe the technical details will be reluctant to risk federal prison (ITAR), or loss of employment (non-disclosure agreements), or their lead in the market (good old capitalism). Idealism takes a back seat to pragmatism. What they might be able to tell you is WHAT they are doing without explaining HOW. Even explaining the technical challenges without giving a solution could be a violation of ITAR.

JCRL

Reaction score
Do the reasons that you elaborated upon above prevent someone from sharing that information one-on-one in person, or only in a public venue like this forum? (I understand that there are national security concerns with guidance and such)

jqavins

Joseph Avins
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
As fas as employer NDAs and the law are concerned, disclosure is disclosure, whether to one person or to many. For one's own commercial interest, only the one with knowledge and commercial interest can say.

Richard Dierking

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks to all that have provided their thoughts on this so far. I'm having second thoughts on this because of what has been said (pro and con). Also, I've received some input outside the forum which has helped. I'm changing my opinion on this particular subject as presented and thinking more about my intentions. That is, what I would like to see and participate in.
I would like to see a high-altitude flight sub-topic. I was always more interested in the path to space anyway, and that's a long road.
I'm interested in the knowledge and research of experienced flyers who are taking the time to gain experience and advance in a logical fashion. Advancement in this case being higher altitude flights.
I wish there was another milestone that was widely recognized other than the Karman line. Like the Stratopause at about 50 Km. I think about 99.99% of the atmosphere is below you at that point. Who wouldn't think that was a great accomplishment.
Anyway, we have the Class 3 definition but that's a propulsion standard, although 50K' is also reviewed by the class 3 committee. So, I don't know how you would define high-altitude flight, but that's what I'm personally mostly interested in and I think others as well.
And, there's lots I don't know about the operation of the forum although I'm learning, perhaps my particular interest could be satisfied in another way.

mikec

Reaction score
For example -- there were 16 C-3 launches at Balls this year -- how many are documented?
All of them were, as required by the Class 3 process.

There may have been a few discussed here -- I know Jim Jarvis described his project a little. There has been some after-action discussion on the Tripoli forums. If I had wanted a discussion about any details of my flight, there are plenty of appropriate venues to do that both here and elsewhere.

Richard Dierking

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, 16 Class 3's at BALLS. And, I wonder how many at XPRS. I've seen completed Class 3 paperwork and it's extensive. Is a post-flight report encouraged? I know that the TRA Class 3 Committee has provided some summaries of Class 3 projects, maybe an annual report with very general data, but does anyone take a look at the specifics? Doesn't have to mention names of course, just the data and some conclusions.
Sorry if this seems OT. I don't think it's far OT myself.

mikec

Reaction score
HERE. PUBLICALLY, smarta**
How about a little civility, Fred?

You asked "how many are documented? How many are documented here?" in your original message. If you just wanted to know how many were documented here, you could have left the first part out.

I actually don't know if submissions to the FAA are public or not. There's always FOIA, I suppose. Many BALLS projects, while reviewed by the TRA Class 3 committee, are not technically Class 3 and are not sent to the FAA.

Joekeyo

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
At first I thought Space launch platform meant launching rockets from a platform in space ????!!!!!

Richard Dierking

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I agree. I think there might have been some incorrect assumptions going into this. However, the outcome is interesting. Even the votes are interesting and suggest something.
This was useful. It's given me some ideas for posts in the future. It's up to others how they wish to proceed, and I appreciate everyone's time and comments.