New stuff posted at JimZ's

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW I noticed more new stuff up in the Estes section.
Of interest (to me) is the Vapor, Olympus, and for those who were looking to clone the MDRM, the instructions and scans are now up. Don't know about nose cone and tubing availability, but I'll let you guys do the legwork. After all, I can't do EVERYTHING! 😄
Laters.

You are most Welcome! :)). What I've been working on since last night and today to get this Blannkety-blank-blank new printer to talk to my computer so I can print out the Atlas rocket You put on this site, Kuririn.

Cheers!

My pleasure. And thank you for your service.
You're welcome Kuririn. Given Your experience, I tend to follow Your advice VERY carefully. That being said, I need to ask Your opinion:: What would You recommend for me to make the SRBs used in the cover drawing? and; Given the extra weight of the 3 SRBs, what size engine would You recommend for the 1st flight? Thanks in advance and I look forward to You advice! Cheers!!!!

I need to ask Your opinion:: What would You recommend for me to make the SRBs used in the cover drawing? and; Given the extra weight of the 3 SRBs, what size engine would You recommend for the 1st flight? Thanks in advance and I look forward to You advice!
Hard to say. Looking at the cover, maybe BT-20?
Engine choice would depend on the final weight.
Rocksim and ThrustCurve are useful tools.
Don't know if OR can do SRBs.
Rocksim for design stability and motor selection.
ThrustCurve for motor selection.
And the "string test" for stability.
Have fun!

Hard to say. Looking at the cover, maybe BT-20?
Engine choice would depend on the final weight.
Rocksim and ThrustCurve are useful tools.
Don't know if OR can do SRBs.
Rocksim for design stability and motor selection.
ThrustCurve for motor selection.
And the "string test" for stability.
Have fun!

Thank You for the advice, Kuririn! I'm admit that I'll probably have to have my oldest Grandson put the programs in my computer and run things for me. I must admit, though, that the old "Swing Test" has yet to let me down. Once built, I'll try it both ways.
Thanks again!

Trying PNG format. Most of the site content has already been JPG'd so switching to PNG is pretty useless but for virgin scans, I plan to use PNG going forward. The size is a bit larger so things might load slower. Please let me know if the trade-off is worth the quality.
https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/american_rocketeer_v04n01.htm

Trying PNG format. Most of the site content has already been JPG'd so switching to PNG is pretty useless but for virgin scans, I plan to use PNG going forward. The size is a bit larger so things might load slower. Please let me know if the trade-off is worth the quality.
https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/american_rocketeer_v04n01.htm
I don't know what software you are using to save as PNG, but make sure you choose 8-bit instead of 24 bit. That will make a huge difference in images size with no loss of quality. Also make sure to turn off 'transparency' so it doesn't try and save an alpha channel, which also increases file size with no benefit. (Unless of course the image has a transparent background.)

Tony

I don't know what software you are using to save as PNG, but make sure you choose 8-bit instead of 24 bit. That will make a huge difference in images size with no loss of quality. Also make sure to turn off 'transparency' so it doesn't try and save an alpha channel, which also increases file size with no benefit. (Unless of course the image has a transparent background.)

Tony
Excellent advice.

I helped my ex on a book project a number of years ago. I was taking old scans of newspaper articles and converting them into PDFs. I found out, much to my surprise, that making a PDF using TIFFs resulted in a small size file than if I used the same images in JPG format. I used Acrobat Pro and the only thing I could think of is that Acrobat Pro was designed to use TIFFs more efficiently than JPGs.

I helped my ex on a book project a number of years ago. I was taking old scans of newspaper articles and converting them into PDFs. I found out, much to my surprise, that making a PDF using TIFFs resulted in a small size file than if I used the same images in JPG format. I used Acrobat Pro and the only thing I could think of is that Acrobat Pro was designed to use TIFFs more efficiently than JPGs.
Interesting. Could it be that the jpg quality was set to very low compression (max quality), or that the tif files were saved with max compression?
At any rate, tif is a better format for photos as it's not a "lossy" format like jpgs.

TIFF and JPG use two very different methods to encode and compress data. TIFF is much more efficient for things like scanned documents that are large areas of similar color with sharp contrast between areas like black and white. JPG was designed to encode and compress continuous tone images, like photographs, where nearly every pixel is a slightly different color but the changes between colors are subtle and spread out.

While non-intuitive, you can compress a scanned page losslessly using TIFF and end up with a smaller file than using JPG, even though the JPG format is discarding information. However, the reverse is true for photos. A JPG set to max quality and minimal compression will still be smaller than a TIFF image.

Pick the right tool for the job:
TIFF for 'line art' - scanned text, solid color Powerpoint slides, plans, and the like
JPG for photos or images with gradients and other areas of continuously changing color

Tony

So in the PNG what are people using to convert? My scanner software doesn't do PNG, just Tiff and Jpg. I'm assuming I scan in TIFF, open up paint/gimp/adobe and convert to PNG? Just trying to get the best stuff to the site.

I usually redraw decals myself in SVG using Inkscape, but very useful to have the scans as a reference for “tracing” them. Sometimes little details can get lost, even the SEMROC printed decal sheet misses the thin clear line in the Excalibur sword decal, and the scanned decals when you print them might miss it too. But in the black and white instruction sheet you can see the detail of the sword in the name logo, for example:

https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/centuri/cen5008.pdf
That thin clear line just gives it that something extra, you know?
4D374410-77A7-4E19-859F-FF623147AAB5.png

So in the PNG what are people using to convert? My scanner software doesn't do PNG, just Tiff and Jpg. I'm assuming I scan in TIFF, open up paint/gimp/adobe and convert to PNG? Just trying to get the best stuff to the site.
Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator will export png files very adroitly. You can even specify a transparent background.

Back