New stuff from Odd'l Rockets!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hcmbanjo

Reaction score
Hi gang,
Check out the new PIPELINE kit at the Odd'l rockets website:
www.oddlrockets.com

The PIPELINE is a tube-fin rocket with a twist. The PIPELINE combines tube-fin and spin stability in one rocket. As the rocket flies, the airstream flows through the PIPELINE's canted tubes making the rocket spin.

Recovery is by 12-inch parachute. Quality components include a long, precision-turned balsa nose cone, a quick change engine mount, and water slide decals.

While you're there, check out the WEDGIE! It's under development and flying great. Soon you'll be able to download and print custom "skins" to decorate the sides of the Tetrahedron. Christmas Trees, the NAR logo, the Classic POINT!, a brick wall and a blank skin for your own design or logo.

On the ACCESSORIES PAGE, check out the new XL EH. (Extra Long Engine Hook) It's designed to eliminate engine mount tubing tears resulting from today's stronger ejection charges.

As always, all the Odd'l Rockets products are available exclusively through:
www.jonrocket.com

Pipeline at ROCK 2.6.10.jpg

Wedgie at NEFAR.JPG

good unique products as always Chris,

Great looking kits, What rate of rotation do you get on the pipeline?

good unique products as always Chris,

Great looking kits, What rate of rotation do you get on the pipeline?

Matt,

I had the unique opportunity to aid Chris in testing the Pipeline design through it's development. The rate of spin is very fast, and I assume it would be difficult to calculate. It doesn't leave a corkscrew trail as you'd expect, but a straight, stable boost. It's a fun, challenging build as well. The mounting process for the tube fins is unique, in my limited experience.

My prototype was shorter than the production model, but here's what it looked like finished.

100_2743.JPG

Hey Gillard!
I have no idea how fast the PIPELINE spins. Very fast!

One prototype had too much angle on the tube/fins. The centrifugal force literally pulled it apart! Granted, the tubes were glued on after painting the main tube and there wasn't enough "tooth" in the glue joint to hold it together. I've since made the canted angle less and all is great now. Too much cant and there was a fast spin before the rocket reached the top of the rod - whip can occur. Templates are included with the kit to insure the right angle.
Watch Roger's video and you can see it spinning at the top of the video frame sequence.

If the canted tubes are painted a high contrast color (darker) next to the main body tube (lighter) you can easily see it spinning on the way up. This rocket really screamed on a C6-5!

And to John - thanks for your insights in the kit development!

I really like the NAR logo themed Wedgie! That's great! :clap:

Mark K.

I had a feeling the WEDGIE with the NAR logo would be a hit.
Today at 4:30 on YORF, the picture viewing hits show the NAR Wedgie ahead of the Pipeline 38 to 25!

Hi Donald,- when all is said and done, the Wedgie should retail for about $15.00
If all goes well with a few additional test flights it could come out next month. It could actually be released now, but I just want to be sure about everything.

Thanks for the positive feedback, it's good to know I'm on the right track!

Attachments

• wedgie_on_launcher.jpg
    wedgie_on_launcher.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 8
Wow ... people are excited about getting a Wedgie!

:)

-- Roger

I wasn't happy with the way the PIPELINE video looked on YouTube, so I deleted it and took the opportunity to fix a few things before re-uploading the video.

https://www.payloadbay.com/video-7985.html

Unfortunately, the new video still looks bad in YouTube, but there's a link on the above page to "Play this video using your computer's media player." Click it to play a better copy of the video (or right-click and "Save Target As" to save a copy to your computer).

-- Roger

Latest posts

Back