New starter set purchased!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNoal

Reaction score
Ok,

I went to the local hobby shop and picked up an Estes starter set. Very little construction was needed as this is a RTF kit. I might have considered a kit that required more but this was the only starter set they had!

Tidal Wave™
Product ID: 1811

Length: 18" (45.7 cm)
Diameter: 1.35" (34.3 mm)
Weight: 2.7 oz (76 g)
Recovery: 12" (30 cm) parachute
Fins: Plastic molded
Maximum Altitude: 600 ft (183 m)
Recommended Engines: A8-3, B4-4, B6-4, C6-5. (Includes two engines)

(it came with 2x B6-4 engines)

I read all the instructions and don't really have any specific questions. Between the included paperwork and stuff detailed on this board I think I will be OK.

Just wondering if anyone had any tips for this type of kit?

Welcome to the forum :), and welcome to rocketry.

Here are a few tips for your Tidal Wave.

Shock Cord: The shock cord that comes with the Estes kit will not last very long. Get some kevlar cord (www.fliskits.com is a great source), and some thicker elastic cord from your favorite department store to replace it.

Parachute: Those made in China parachutes will fall apart on you. Place a dab of white glue on each not on the shroud line. This will prevent the knots from coming undone.

Wadding: Sheet wadding is hard to use. To prolong the life of your parachute, use Cellulose Insulation avaliable at Home Depot (the ones that rent equipment carry it). One bail costs $7, and it will last a life time. When packing the rocket, place 1 or two sheets of wadding in the rocket, followed by some insulation. This does a much better job protecting the parachute

Motors. A8-3 is a bad choice.... Trust Me. Stick with B's and C's.

Follow these few tips, and your Tidal Wave will live through many flights :)

Also, if you have not already done so, visit www.nar.org to find your local rocket club. Club launches are very rewarding, and gives you a chance to see what the hobby offers.

Have fun :)

Boy, and I was just about to recommend getting some A8-3 motors for the first few flights.

n3tjm, have you flown this thing with A motors? I am just curious why you seem so firm in your belief that Tidal Waves don't go with A motors?

DNoal, if you have a good (big, no trees or power lines) flying field, a B will probably do just fine. Have fun! Welcome to the fold!

I had the Estes Code Red a while back. It's pretty much the same except color scheme and name. I suggest go with what Doug says. Personally I had no problems without modifying it. I actually got 20 lauches on regular chute, cord, and C6-5s. I just got a little dumb and flew it on a gusty day. **** rocket-eating-trees!!! Anyway it can take a beating, I probably would've got many more flights if it weren't for the tree and stupidity.
I also like to mention: If your gonna purchase a starter set go to a retail store like Walmart I'll save you a little cash.
Here's a link to help you get to know your rocket before you know your rocket: https://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/kits/est_tidal_wave.html

I suggest checking EMRR before any purchase.

Aaaaah, my first rocket :)

Oh yeah, we like pictures :)
Phil

Originally posted by powderburner
n3tjm, have you flown this thing with A motors? I am just curious why you seem so firm in your belief that Tidal Waves don't go with A motors?

I've flown my Code Red model a few times on A8-3s now, the lift off is scarily slow and it will only clamber its way to 30 metres, not much of a flight really when for a bit more money you can put a B in it and get a much better flight.

Just my thoughts.

Originally posted by powderburner
DNoal, if you have a good (big, no trees or power lines) flying field, a B will probably do just fine. Have fun! Welcome to the fold!

I think this is the main reason some people buy a starter kit, and never get deeper into the hobby. The instructions in starter kits do not stress enough, the need for a large field, and the drift that can come with launching in a good wind. Flying from a site with the minimum dimensions should only be recommended for experienced flyers, who can judge the amount of launch angle needed to recover back in the launch site.

The only things I can think of is BUY MORE MOTORS before the first flight and upgrade the shock cord before it flies too many times. Even if you do not want to get kevlar at this point, getting a longer, thicker piece of elastic is a good idea. It can be found in the fabric section of WalMart or at JoAnn Fabrics. It is extremely inexpensive. I'd sugggest at least 1/4 inch wide and three times longer than the rocket.
You will note after a few flights that the shroud lines for the chute will began to tangle and can actually form a rather gordian knot. Also, until you get more experience with exactly how much wadding to use and what kind (Cellulose or sheets) you may scortch the chute a bit. When I go to the range, I take extra chutes. You don't need anything fancy for a spare. It could be made from a trash bag, thread and scotch tape. Many of us here tie the chute onto a fishing swivel and swap them in and out of different rockets as needed. This way you can take it off the rocket to untangle or replace. In this thread there are some photos of what I mean:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4468&highlight=swivel

Installing a new shock cord is not a major modification. I often glue kevlar leaders directly to the inside of the body tube with epoxy or polyurethane glue.

Have fun and good luck!!

Come to think about it I do remember flying on a A8-3, I didn't fly too well. I must've just blocked it out of my mind due to disappointment. I think I got about 30'.

Although I usually fly and recommend A8-3s for smaller balsa and paper model rockets, the RTF platic jobbies are rather heavier. I would stick with a B6-2 or B6-4.

Use Cs and you may lose the rocket. We have all learned this the hard way at one time or another. Just 'cause an engine fits in the rocket does not mean you will get the rocket back!! Cs are for big fields, or larger model rockets like the Big Bertha.

Recomendations? The above shock chord and parachute mods are both good advice. I buy my elastic at Joanne's Sewing/Craft stores. (1/8" wide for smaller rockets, and 3/16" for D/E/F powered birds.) Joannes usually has a '50% off any one item' coupon in Sunday's paper. Go ahead and buy as much or as little as you want, remembering that each rocket will take 18"- 24" of elastic. Since I do a lot of rocket building, I bought a whole roll of each, and they cost about $15.00 for the roll after using the coupon. This should last me a number of years.

If you have a nearby Michael's craft store, take the 40% off coupon and buy an ESTES 'Blast Off flight pack' of 24 motors. This will give you a good selection of 24 motors for a decent discounted price. Also check Toys R Us.... they often have the Blast Off Flight pack for $29.99 at this time of year.

Have fun!!

I'm with Rocketmanic on this one .... Have fun! :D

...... and let us know how you get on - theres bonus points for any pictures you post!

I flown my Tidal Wave on A8-3's, and if the dealy favors the long side... ejection can come close to the deck.

The first launch went well. The rocket did drift far on the first flight, so for the second I cut out a small hole in the 'chute. This reduced drift to less than half of the previous flight under the same wind (5-10 mph).

Here is a video of the launch: (DIVX AVI, 1.8 MB) users.adelphia.net/~sepperoni/tidalwave.avi and an attached picture of the rocket on the pad.

I did not notice any problem with the chute burning or melting, but there is a bit of charring on the shock cord. I will probably replace this and purchase an extra chute before the next launch.

Cool Video. That rocket is very nice. I used to have the yellow and green Tidal Wave... at first I did not like the colors... but it quickly grew on me. What motor did you fly it on?

I have a suggestion:

Get a new rod for it. My 2pc rod got bent after a few launches. The 1pc rods are MUCH cheaper and last longer.

Congradulations DNoal!
You didn't lurk long before you got your feet wet.
Now as someone said you need to buy a Blast Off Flight pack of motors & just go have fun.
Definetly go with the bail(it's about 18"x18"x24") of cellulose insulation for wadding. I use it succesfully without any wadding sheets. You'll see it referred to here as "Dog Barf".
For the price of two Estes packages of sheets you have enough for a lifetime. Save the sheets from the Blast Off pack for emergencies or sell them to someone for 25% of retail to get your dog barf paid for.
Next start on a couple of simple rockets. My favotites are the Big Bertha & Baby Bertha. Build easy, & fly great. You'll need to start them soon so you'll have something to fly if (when) you loose the one that came with the kit. Also because it's just plain fun & keeps interest up between launches.
Enjoy.
Vance in AK.

I like the idea of spare rockets and all but I gonna expand to that suggestion a little. Not only getting spare kits is cool, but personally I try to get different genres of kits to not only keep me interest but to expand my interest. This method of thinking has caused this hobby to become obsessive.

Two new kits I suggest you get is the FlisKits Deuce's Wild, and the ACME Spitfire. As you can see, those kits are extreamly popular on this forum... and when the Tres comes out....

:D

I agree whole heartedly mkmilion.
I just finished up a Gemini DC. Can't get much further from a Bertha in design than that.
Just something about the design of the Berthas that makes them the "old standby" for me.
I have a Super Big Bertha that's about half way done that's modified for "E" power.
Looking forward to playing with it. But the Gemini DC is so sleek I want to go play with it too.
Then I have to get the Comanchee Three built. Oh, & I need to get started on the 4" V2.
It's going to be a good winter.:)
And I believe I finally hit my 100th post:D :D :D
No big deal for some, but I've been looking forward to it!
Vance in AK.

Oh I like that. " Veteran Member".
I feel important now!
Anyone need any advise?;)
Vance in AK.

Back