New Star Trek Movie

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjennings

Reaction score
No Spoilers in my post, I won't promise that for anyone after me

I saw the new Trek movie last night. I found it very fun and liked it. There will be some hard core fans who disagree but I think they did a good job of merging the current summer action pop corn flick in to the Trek universe. Charters were all very well done. And with all the up dating in effects it still felt like the TOS time period.

I have always loved "origin stories", and that raises my interest in this movie enough to overcome the "cringe factor" about putting young whippersnappers in those roles (think "Wesley Crusher" and "Happy Meal Action Figure").

Over time I realized that one of the things I liked the most about the original series was the sense that space travel _wasn't_ routine - that it really was an adventure in a ship full of equipment that just might not work properly. The "Next Generation" stuff was just too slick for it to feel like they were really "wagon train to the stars" pioneers like they did in TOS episodes like "Where No Man Has Gone Before". I have high hopes that this new film will capture that sense.

We plan on going to see it this weekend. as a warm up I dug out The wrath of Khan and watched it. My lids had never seen any of the "old" Star Trek.

I had to laugh, when they first find Khan on seti alfa 5 he says they had been stranded since "1996" funny how timelines work.

By the previews of the new movie, I really am anxious to see it!

Cant wait. Canon is not such a big deal as rough and ready adventure :)
Live long and prosper:cool:
Fred

saw it today. thought it was a great movie! Obviously it messes up the original time lines and story lines, but thats nothing new. One of the biggest shockers was when _________________________ and _______ was ___________ and had to ________________. Also Kirk _______________________ and was ___________________ and then ________________________,

Funny you mention Wrath of Khan. You will see something that reminded me of something from that movie and when I saw it I thought Wrath of Khan.

What I'd like to do for Mother's Day is see Star Trek and go out for Mexican food. What I'm doingis going to the family gathering where there will be carry-out chicken and spaghetti. :rolleyes:

I'm going to nab one of the kids and go see it sometime this weekend. I'm looking forward to it!

saw it today. thought it was a great movie! Obviously it messes up the original time lines and story lines, but thats nothing new. One of the biggest shockers was when _________________________ and _______ was ___________ and had to ________________. Also Kirk _______________________ and was ___________________ and then ________________________,

No. Duh! But I thought the best was when Scotty said _______ to the crew and then ________ at the bunch of 'em. I mean, REALLY! :D

Seriously, it was a very good movie. No "wesley crusher" moments, to be sure. Frankly, I think the best thing they did was an excellent job on casting and character development. The story was great, which provided a good movie even for folks not into ST, but (as one reviewer quipped) there were enough "easter eggs" in the movie to satisfy the most hard core trek fan (and I'm fairly hard core...)

I won't discuss anything that would qualify as a spoiler for a couple of weeks. If you haven't seen it by then well, too bad :)

All I could think of, after the movie, was SEQUEL, or a new series. Seriously, if the characters stay as true to form they've got a real winner here. Lots of fun!

well I'm pretty sure we'll see a sequel with this cast I think they did really good. New series with this cast, probably not, unless Heroes falls apart they won't give up Zachary Quintos (Sylar in Heroes / Spock in ST). He really did an excellent job as Spock. I did know what to expect I'm use to him being so evil in Heroes that I thought I might have a hard time seeing him as another character. As did the rest of the cast. And the when Scotty said _________ pretty much goes for all his lines.

I was hoping to see it today but got busy and noone wanted to go with me. My wife doesn't like the show at all (horror is her thing) and kids will not be seen with me at a show anymore - not cool.

Looks like next weekend is when I will go. I do keep hearing the show is not for the "star trek" fans but for the average viewer. Will see then.

All I could think of, after the movie, was SEQUEL, or a new series. Seriously, if the characters stay as true to form they've got a real winner here. Lots of fun!

I had the exact same thought Jim. Matter of fact, when it ended I was disappointed. I did not want to leave, I was so absorbed in it.

I will get this on bluray when it comes out :p

Oh, I thought that Spock looked a lot like Sylar!

quicksilverscreens already has a pirated copy.

:rolleyes:

Watched it last night, titles were in Russian.

Last edited:
Saw it last night and was very impressed.

I wouldn't mind seeing several movies if they can keep that crew together. All of the castings were great.

Character development was great, you could tell the cast really worked well together. Loved the little "easter eggs". There's got to be a sequel. I didn't think it was "OMG that was awesome", but I did enjoy it.

Am not a Trekkie, by any stretch of the imagination, but look forward to seeing this one.

Character development was great, you could tell the cast really worked well together. Loved the little "easter eggs". There's got to be a sequel. I didn't think it was "OMG that was awesome", but I did enjoy it.

Just heard that the cast has already signed on for 2 sequels. Should be good.

My concern is that they may use an entire movie fixing what they broke in this one...

I was hoping to see it today but got busy and noone wanted to go with me. My wife doesn't like the show at all (horror is her thing) and kids will not be seen with me at a show anymore - not cool.

I've been the World's Most Embarrassing Mother for some time now. Lately my teens have taken to leaving empty seats in between us in public when they have to be in somewhat close proximity. :p

Everyone in the house turned me down except my daughter who due to her age I wouldn't take until I've seen it first. But when I was heading out the door to get tickets for tonight my oldest changed his mind so we're going at 7:30. I'm pretty sure it will be sold out so if anyone sees a pained looking teenage boy sitting next to his mother that would be us. :neener:

I loved it! It felt like George Lucas met Star Trek, but with better casting and dialogue. Seriously, I thought the casting was brilliant in that physically and in mannerisms they were very believable versions of their younger selves.

Great fun--I was sorry to see the film come to an end and that doesn't happen to me often.

No Spoilers in my post, I won't promise that for anyone after me

I saw the new Trek movie last night. I found it very fun and liked it. There will be some hard core fans who disagree but I think they did a good job of merging the current summer action pop corn flick in to the Trek universe. Charters were all very well done. And with all the up dating in effects it still felt like the TOS time period.

Agreed... it was well done...

My biggest fear was that they were going to do a BAD remake-- make it too "Gen Y" and totally divorced from the original 'flavor' of the series...

It pretty well captured the original flavor of the series while doing something a little different. Sorta the 'path less travelled' so to speak.

I said a long while back when I was following this film in development that if they did it right, they'd have a winner... remakes aren't NECESSARILY bad IF you keep the "classic" part of it alive and toss the 'fluff' and remain true to the premise and story...

Just like Daniel Craig and the new direction the Bond films have gone in has saved the franchise... after SO much hype and looking forward to Pierce Brosnan, his films became almost as much a parody of the original James Bond films as "Austin Powers", just not as funny...

Thank goodness they 'did it right'... OL JR :)

I thought it was a good movie. I've seen some reviews on the 'net calling it "the best science fiction movie ever." But, I wouldn't rank it as even the best Star Trek movie. I'd rank it maybe fifth among the Star Trek series

**** Spoiler Alert *****

Skip the rest of this message if you haven't already seen the film.

Although I really did enjoy the film and think it's a good start towards a new series, the film had some problems. The main plot isn't all that interesting, the villain isn't interesting at all, and the crew of the Enterprise don't do anything interesting to defeat the villain. There's no "His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking" moment where the crew figures out how to overcome the bad guy.

There's little interaction between the characters (expect for some french kissing and Kirk getting Spock angry much too easily).

A lot of the problems are probably because the new versions of each of the characters had to be introduced. So, it was kind of like a TV show pilot where they introduce the basic elements of the series, but it isn't a regular show.

Humor may have been used too often and I never got over the feeling that I was watching "Star Trek Babies." And the whole "alternate reality" thing to explain the alternate reality seemed like cheating.

But, this was definitely a better film than the first Star Trek movie (and many of the others). So that's a good sign for the future of the series.

-- Roger

I hope it makes me forget Keanu Reeves in the remake of "The DayThe Earth Stood Still".

That just stunk bigtime!:mad:

I'm a long time Trekkie, and thought the movie was great.

Finally a starship that can rapid fire its weapons.

The Enterprise D had special anti Borg rapid fire phasers in the Lucutis 2 parter. Although I did like the torpedo rooms.

Back