New Site

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexM

Reaction score
I am trying to make a new site. I have Fortunecity ECommerce hosting package and microsoft frontpage extensions. I have made a site with frontpage, and tried to upload it. However, when I try to upload it, a screen comes uplload it, a screen comes up that says "Enter Publish Destination", and I am not sure what to put. I am sure one of you guys out there can help me.

The "publish destination" is most likely the host name/address. The information you got when you signed with Fortunecity should include that and it should be somewhere on their website (log on first) as well. I don't want to complicate things but in the long run you will be better off useing WS_FTP to upload your pages.
They should have step by step directions for using WS_FTP as many hosting companies do. They may or may not have directions for uploading with Frontpage and they might also have their own upload utillity. You'll also be better off useing something other than Frontpage to create the pages but thats just my opinion. :)

It costs 14 dollars to switch, so I am sticking with FrontPsge for now.

Originally posted by Tarc3
It costs 14 dollars to switch, so I am sticking with FrontPsge for now.
If you mean $14 to buy WS_FTP you can get a free Lite version ment for students on the web. Thats what I use couse TRF count's as being in school right? :D Anyway have you been able to upload your page to the server?

By 14 dollars, I meant that that is how much it would cost to switch my hosting package over to FTP.

So Fortunecity will only allow you to upload pages using Frontpage in your pricing plan? Thats strange. Do they have a utillity for uploading on their site? That would probably be the easiest way to go at first. Many storage companies also have "wizard" page creator utillities, they suck but you could use it just to make a "Hello World" page and upload it for the experience.

Can you post a link to Fortuncity? The page you use to access your account, but not your password of course.

No, the link wont work. But on my filemanagement screen, a bunch of folders come up and they go in this order."Bin ,ETC, Frontpage, Logs, opt, ss_data, ss_data.bak, ssl, tmp, usr, var, and web." All of those are folders that pop up.

Right now, I am making a temporary user for you. The username is temp, and the password is password.

Never give out even temp passwords in a forum. You could have PM'd it to me. I't doesn't really matter since I'm not going to manipulate your account for you. Delete that password. I can't upload your new web page since it's not stored on my machine anyway.
Since you've gotten as far as seeing the folders in your space then your close to being able to manipulate them. Their should be directions (or a help link) for account maintenance right on the page your looking at with the folders. Most of those folders seem to be system folders for Fortunecity so leave them all alone. There is probably a .html or .htm file named "index" in that directory. When you have a web page built it is usually best to name the first one "index" so it will replace the one thats there and any person going to your domain name will get steered to the "index" page first.

Ignore my last post since your'e there allready. :)
Have you uploaded the picture itself?

First of all, :kill:
Second of all, the files are supposedly embedded in my website.

"https://www.underdogrockets.com/cooltext11603183.jpg" is the name and address of the picture that I guess you want at the top of the page. If you haven't uploaded "cooltext11603183.jpg" to the same directory as your page then it won't show although the border for it is showing.

I appear to have been #000001. Did you actually pay for one? I only ask becouse I don't see the ad blurb at the bottom of the counter that free ones come with.

I looked at the html and saw it is indeed a Frontpage Webbot.
In other words it don't work and appears to be stuck at 000001.

It's just copy and paste code at the Museum of Counter Culture and they give pretty good directions. The only times that they haven't been accurate for me is when their server goes down or one of their machines goes down. Doesn't matter that much since their free anyway and you can customize the look to be cool on your page.

Now it works, but I bestow upon you the title of Honorary First Visitor

You know Zippy, while Im at it, I might as well ask you about meta tags...

I still use META tags on my sites. I'm not sure how much they help nowadays that their are so many bots crawling the web. I don't even bother to list my sites anymore since the bots find them quick and list them anyway without me doing anything.

Heres an example of META tags, they would go between the (HEAD) (/HEAD) tags of the html file.

(META NAME="description" CONTENT="My rockets and related stuff.")
(META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="model, rocket, estes, engine, mercury, redstone, pml, mini bbx, amraam, black brant, patriot, saturn v, iqsy, tomahawk, astrobee")

They need to bracketed in arrows instead of parenthases but they kept disapearing and working as code when I used arrows here.

I believe you can use up to 25 keywords but I don't actually remember. There are sites on the web that will check your META tags for you and make suggestions but I don't have any links to them right now.

Originally posted by Zippy
I still use META tags on my sites. I'm not sure how much they help nowadays that their are so many bots crawling the web. I don't even bother to list my sites anymore since the bots find them quick and list them anyway without me doing anything.

lately, bots will bypass the meta tags if you use more than 20 keywords

later
Jerryb

It depends if there's a bot in your neighborhood. It could be 2 hours or 2 weeks. 2 weeks would probably be on the far outside of the range lately though.

Back