New Shepard Launch Thursday 1/14/2021

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure what the purpose is here. They launch it and land it quite well, but it does....... nothing.

Not sure what the purpose is here. They launch it and land it quite well, but it does....... nothing.
I agree, mostly. I mean, I'm glad that they are succeeding at whatever it is they're doing, but there's very little sense of new accomplishment here, just doing the same thing over and over.

Also, lack of on-board video is perplexing.

New shephard has always just been a space tourist gig. Maybe a sideshow to generate funds for new glenn?

Edit: On the practical side, I can see it having played a role in testing the controlled landing logic and systems while building experience for their lunar lander.

New shephard has always just been a space tourist gig. Maybe a sideshow to generate funds for new glenn?

Edit: On the practical side, I can see it having played a role in testing the controlled landing logic and systems while building experience for their lunar lander.
Agree. But at this point, from a spectator excitement standpoint, there ain't much.

Between the two, I think Virgin Galactic seems like it would be a more interesting "ride" to the edge of space as a tourist.

So Blue Origin had yet *another* test of a non-orbit booster lifting off, going high, and landing again. Yawn! Call me when she pushes something into orbit and the booster tries to land after that.

I get that to do what they did today is really difficult, I couldn't do it, but I wish I knew why they keep doing what appears to be the same test over and over. This is something SpaceX did with their Grasshopper and wrapped that up back in 2013.

Back