• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

New Scan of Estes (K-52P) Parts List showing the black PNC-60AH nosecone.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Specifically, I'm looking for the same set of instructions that are seen on JimZ's website. His copy is grainy, and looks like it was done from an old photocopy. My copy suffered from yellowing.

I've added "UNCONFIRMED" to JimZ's image as I've got a question about his instructions. I've found numerous variations on the instructions, and his seem to show that the parts list showed a black PNC-60AH injection molded nosecone, while the instructions show the newer PNC-60AH blow-molded nosecone.

My scan (the yellowed one) came from a kit that had the injection molded nosecone on both the parts list and the instructions sheets.

I'd like to confirm whether or not his scans represent another variation that I've yet to confirm myself.

There is also the possibility that the kit may have shipped with a black blow-molded nosecone, but that is just a hypothesis, and still lacks confirmation in the form of a kit in a sealed bag, or reliable information from other sources.

K'Tesh

from my understanding there are 3 types of nose cones

Type 1 = balsa wood

type 2 = hard plastic with separate base in BLACK color

type 3 = hard plastic with separate base in WHITE color

I have a complete set of instructions, parts list & assembly directions but no fin pattern or decals
If you need a scan let me know

Bobby

K'Tesh

from my understanding there are 3 types of nose cones

Type 1 = balsa wood

type 2 = hard plastic with separate base in BLACK color

type 3 = hard plastic with separate base in WHITE color

I have a complete set of instructions, parts list & assembly directions but no fin pattern or decals
If you need a scan let me know

Bobby

There's a 4th confirmed nosecone...

type 4 = Blow molded (one-piece) plastic nosecone in WHITE

And a theoretical 5th which would be the same as the 4th except in black.

I'd love to see what set of instructions you've got. I'm hoping that it matches the one that JimZ has, and is in good shape. I'm good on the decals and fins though.

Last edited:
K'Tesh

Here is page 1 and 2 after I cleaned it up

I had to stitch together pages 3 & 4 and pages 5 & 6 gotta get a larger scanner to scan as 1 page

I purchased this kit in 1982

omega page 1.jpg

omega back side page 1.jpg

page 3 & 4.jpg

page 5 & 6.jpg

Last edited:
K'Tesh

Here is page 1 and 2 after I cleaned it up

I had to stitch together pages 3 & 4 and pages 5 & 6 gotta get a larger scanner to scan as 1 page

I purchased this kit in 1982

Thanks for the scans!

1982? Man that kit likey had been sitting around the shop for some time. I noticed the old checkerboard parachute... If I had to guess, that rocket was likely manufactured around 1971 or 1972. I'm still trying to pin down IDing years of manufacture by the parachutes, but I know the checkerboard versions were the old style.

K'Tesh

What would be really nice is to have some parachute vendor sew up a checkerboard pattern like Estes had but do it in nylon :)

Bobby

K'Tesh

What would be really nice is to have some parachute vendor sew up a checkerboard pattern like Estes had but do it in nylon :)

Bobby

I'm sure it could be done... At a cost. I think that it would be easier (and considerably cheaper) to print the pattern instead though.

I want to say thanks to LW Bercini for his scans of the plans. He emailed this to me.

Estes OMEGA (K-52P)(Late, Two-Piece (White) Nosecone) Parts List (LW).jpg

Estes OMEGA (K-52P)(Late, Two-Piece (White) Nosecone) Countdown Checklist (LW).jpg

I don't know what it is about this version that made it so hard to capture (other than age and rarity).

Last edited:
K'Tesh

Looking through my "clone Resource book " i found these 2 pages for the PNC-60AH
2 different nose cones both called PNC-60AH

Bobby

NC 1.jpg

NC 2.jpg

K'Tesh

Looking through my "clone Resource book " i found these 2 pages for the PNC-60AH
2 different nose cones both called PNC-60AH

Bobby

I'm aware of both the injection molded (two piece) and the blow molded (one piece) nosecone. The Estes OMEGA used both.

what was unusual was the 2 different nose cones were call the same thing PNC-60 AH

here is something else I found

K-52P Omega - Countdown Hang Tag, Blue Two Panel Facecard - Balsa Payload/Nose Cone 1970 $3.50 1 Original 1 167 - -

K-52 Omega - Yellow Double Oval Hang Tag, Yellow Two Panel Facecard - No Payload/Nose Cone 1971 $3.50 1 Original 6 157 452 55

K-52P/1252 Omega - Blue Skill Level Hang Tag, Blue Skill Level Facecard - Plastic Nose Cone 1972-1980 $5.00 1 Original / 1 Built 19 133 249 65 $100 (4-29-12). Vers3 $72 (10-10-12)

Thanks, I'm aware of that site...

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...-52P-1200)-Instructions&p=1508016#post1508016

I'm still on the hunt for more info. Please keep me posted on anything you find.

For what it's worth, I'm aware of 5 confirmed variants of the Omega, with a highly likely 6th (4 are K-52P/1200 variants, 1 is a K-52 (w/o payload), and the remaining one appears to be an intermediate step (and is what is found on JimZ's site)). There may be more K-52 variants that I'm unaware of, but I haven't been able to turn up a single clue on that line of research.

One thing to note: The K-52P/1200 variants all seem to use a SC-2 shock cord (my sample (taken from a 1200) was 22.5" long). The sole K-52's version that I've seen used a SC-1 shock cord. There may be other variations, but again, I've yet to turn up anything new on that line.

Last edited:
K'Tesh

Here is a link to a rocketreviews.com page posted by Manny Trotta reviewing the Estes Der Red Max kit
It shows the black PNC-60AH nose cone with the Der Red Max Kit
I wonder if Estes had a supply shortage of the white nose cone and just used the black nose cone until the white nose cone was available again ?

here is the link

https://www.rocketreviews.com/estes-der-red-max-7140.html

Bobby

The original Citation Der Red Max shipped with the black injection molded PNC-60AH. The current version uses the black blow molded PNC-60AH. I don't know about the other versions that shipped in the interrim. I'm also not in a position to research that at this time. I'm on a break at work.

Last edited:
Back