New RockSim V10.1

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoa! I just noticed that I have an copy of Rocksim 9 and its key on a backup USB drive I have. I am very tempted to delete Rocksim 10.1 and go back to 9. Has anyone tried this, and if so, did it work properly?

***edit, tried it on another computer, installed okay, won't activate - I guess Apogee deactivated the Rocksim 9 codes or something. Ugh, stuck with this piece of buggy software.

Last edited:
I emailed them with a request to upgrade from RS 10.1 to 9, because it worked. That was yesterday. No response yet.

I sent a rather nasty support message yesterday and got a direct response back from Tim. My main message was he needed to read TRF as a lot of complaints go there because people aren't happy with Rocksim support. He listened and read the recent posts. He got back and said that a bug fix release 10.2 is in the works which addresses most of the issues he read about in TRF and will be along "very soon" (days away). Progress...

I emailed them with a request to upgrade from RS 10.1 to 9, because it worked. That was yesterday. No response yet.

I tried to leave a bad review of RS 10 on Apogee's website, guess what, never got posted after review. Wonder why...

Glad I've been lazy and not upgraded! I only use RS occasionally (more lately as planning Gemini Titan and Mercury Atlas scratch builds). I'll wait for the 10.2 patch.

And now it's friday night and I still don't have RS 9.

TVM was pretty clear a year ago. If you upgrade to v10, there was no going back. You probably have a better chance, if any, at reverting from v10.1 to v10.0. However, the likely scenario is v10.2 as Mike Haberer mentioned above. I am not saying it is the proper approach by Apogee to take with its customers, but it is the reality of the situation.

TVM was pretty clear a year ago. If you upgrade to v10, there was no going back. You probably have a better chance, if any, at reverting from v10.1 to v10.0. However, the likely scenario is v10.2 as Mike Haberer mentioned above. I am not saying it is the proper approach by Apogee to take with its customers, but it is the reality of the situation.

Be as it may, I won't be buying anything else from them. Customer lost.

V10.2 is available. All of the issues I have noted before are fixed. A couple of things are wonky still, but that is due to the underlying controls they use that they can't affect. TVM reached out to me directly and let me know it was available and I kicked the tires, gave feedback and got a response to my remaining questions, all in the last few hours.

You can upgrade via the Help menu, Check for updates option. You have to select the Full download, there is no Update option available for V10.2.

V10.2 is available. All of the issues I have noted before are fixed. A couple of things are wonky still, but that is due to the underlying controls they use that they can't affect. TVM reached out to me directly and let me know it was available and I kicked the tires, gave feedback and got a response to my remaining questions, all in the last few hours.

You can upgrade via the Help menu, Check for updates option. You have to select the Full download, there is no Update option available for V10.2.
Mike, Thanks for all the effort on your part to press for the v10.2 fixes - I had been holding back from upgrading my V10.0 instance until the consensus was that Apogee now has a stable release.

What is your assessment since your March 24th post - are you still satisfied (with the exception of the 'wonky' items)?

Still junk for me - I can choose a motor. load it and it's won't take off! I even tried one of LOC's standard rocksim files

Mike, Thanks for all the effort on your part to press for the v10.2 fixes - I had been holding back from upgrading my V10.0 instance until the consensus was that Apogee now has a stable release.

What is your assessment since your March 24th post - are you still satisfied (with the exception of the 'wonky' items)?
I haven't had any issues with the latest update. I have some fairly complex designs and they all seem to be working. I was at a launch this weekend and ran lots of sims with no issues.

I waited until v10.2 to update and have been satisfied so far. I'm in the process of building a SBR "Bullet" rocket in RS now, and while it is pushing the limits of my abilities and knowledge of RS to get the transitions correct, the only issues I have run into so far have been my mistakes, not the programs.

Since retiring I've had more time for the hobbies.
I was inactive in HPR for awhile, after years not using my version 8 - I just upgraded to RockSim Version 10.2.0f37
My antivirus program made for some activation issues, but I got a lot of assistance from Michelle at Apogee and its working fine.
I'm surprised how much recall I have when using it.

Question...anyone notice if the design file is missing a lot of older kits and or parts...PML, etc?
Any suggestions for building up the design database for parts and kits?

Since retiring I've had more time for the hobbies.
I was inactive in HPR for awhile, after years not using my version 8 - I just upgraded to RockSim Version 10.2.0f37
My antivirus program made for some activation issues, but I got a lot of assistance from Michelle at Apogee and its working fine.
I'm surprised how much recall I have when using it.

Question...anyone notice if the design file is missing a lot of older kits and or parts...PML, etc?
Any suggestions for building up the design database for parts and kits?
For the parts database (files, really), if I find a part missing that I want in the program I just edit the CSV file directly and then make a backup in another folder in case it gets overwritten by an upgrade.

For kits, I never realized they were actually a part of the program install until I saw it in the last couple of days in the install folder. For old kits, I go to https://www.rocketreviews.com/site-features.html which has both Openrocket and Rocksim libraries. If it's not there then the other option is to ask in the forum if someone has a plan in their personal inventory.

Back