New RockSim V10.1

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know if this software is independently QAd or if there has been any kind of UAT? Seems these issues should have been caught as the use case for each is quite basic and common.
No idea. I'm a retired IT guy, so I could definitely run it through it's paces as a UAT if asked. I expect there isn't a UAT at this point. The program is quite complex and it would be easy to break something when it's changed.

Tim (@Apogee Components) refers to a Pro version in his FB videos. I called and asked about the differences between 10.1 and Pro. In the past, the Pro version was $1000 and had controls for national security reasons. It was meant for universities and such. Tim is determining options for the new Pro. Sounds like I'll stick with the 10.1 version. She said she'll talk to Tim about clarification, particularly should I buy the 10.1 or wait for the Pro.

I use Mac OS and my RS 10.1 woes are:

1. opening a new rocket file while another rocket is open will sometimes crash the program. There is no workaround.

2. Selecting a component from the database by double clicking it will instead load the next component in the list (e.g., select the fourth component and the fifth one is loaded). However, selecting the component by clicking it once then clicking [OK] works as expected.

3. drawing custom fins and removing points does funky things to the drawing section on the screen yet the fin preview on the rocket looks correct. The workaround is to exit the wizard and then go back into it.

4. When entering custom fin points, via the coordinate list, will crash the program. This is seemingly random. It’s happened to me every entry and may also not happen at all. But, it happens more often than not. There is no workaround.

All of these issues are significant and need resolution. Does anyone know if this software is independently QAd or if there has been any kind of UAT? Seems these issues should have been caught as the use case for each is quite basic and common.
Thanks for sharing.

Those are useful things to know, and potentially important reasons for not upgrading now from RS 10.0 — that I’m already satisfied with.

4. When entering custom fin points, via the coordinate list, will crash the program. This is seemingly random. It’s happened to me every entry and may also not happen at all. But, it happens more often than not. There is no workaround.

I found how to avoid this issue. If you are designing fins and need to draw them out with 5 points (as an example), place five points in the design area and get a (really) rough lay out of how the fin is going to look. You cannot adjust a point once it is down quite yet. So place the point then move to the next. Then leave custom fin wizard once all the points are down. After that, you can go back into the fin and play with the points you've placed without issue.

I've only played a little bit with RS's new version. I have a previously working file that I can no longer add motors to to test simuated launches. No matter what type motor, the rocket won't launch. It worked pre-Rocksim 10. I suspect some change has broken some older RS files.

I had little success with RS 10's recommended motor feature. Many times it would crash before even doing its first sim.

I kind of wish I had stuck with RS v9.

What's with the C folders? I tend to store my sim files in many different directories, typically in folders dedicated to each rocket where I store other information pertinent to the rocket. When I want to look at or run simulations, I just double click the .rkt file to start RockSim (I use the Open with option to register RockSim with the file type.) Now is see a C folder in each of the rocket folders. Inside the C folder there is another folder, logs, and inside it is a text file named rocksim.log. It seems to contain information chronicling the start-up process, something that might have been useful during development.

Is there any way to turn this feature off. While it seems to cause no harm, the clutter is a little annoying.

What's with the C folders? I tend to store my sim files in many different directories, typically in folders dedicated to each rocket where I store other information pertinent to the rocket. When I want to look at or run simulations, I just double click the .rkt file to start RockSim (I use the Open with option to register RockSim with the file type.) Now is see a C folder in each of the rocket folders. Inside the C folder there is another folder, logs, and inside it is a text file named rocksim.log. It seems to contain information chronicling the start-up process, something that might have been useful during development.

Is there any way to turn this feature off. While it seems to cause no harm, the clutter is a little annoying.
Open Rocksim first and then open the file you want. I assume it places the C folder somewhere within it's folder structure in the Appdata subfolder. If you double click a .rkt file in the directory it is stored to open Rocksim, it creates the C folder in that directory. Weird.

I'm having a problem with simulations in the updated Rocksim 10.1. The rocket has a streamer going at apogee and a parachute at 500' (Chute Release). The sim is having both ejected at apogee. Occasionally, the parachute will be noted at a different altitude than apogee, but not at 500'. Also, occasionally, the deployment altitude for the parachute, which had been set at 500', displays in a later run as 152.4 (which is 500' in meters). .rkt attached. Anybody else having issues with simulation results?

Attachments

• Long Burn 2.2.rkt
    69.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I had to go the free trial way, wouldn’t update in the old version 10 program itself.
i got updated but now my Engine Editor is not opening at all.

Well I haven't gotten to deep into Rocksim yet I'm still learning my way around. Last night I was working some sims for a LOC IV that's getting close to finishing and I noticed something in the recommended engines list. I was looking at using an Aerotech DMS I-140W-10 but according to the engine list it was not recommended because of recovery deployment problems. I ran the motor in the sim and the results were just fine. According to the details of the flight off the rail speed was around 89 mph, height at apogee was 2374 feet, and it landed safely. Fully loaded the rocket weight was 2267 grams a little heavy. It landed about 1500 feet from the pad (I was using moderated winds in the 8 to 14 mph range) It was well within the cone of safety for weather cocking. I'm sure it's something I did in the settings like I said upfront I'm brand new at this. 🙂

Now I did have trouble downloading the new version (still using windows 7) my computer just would not do updates. So I did the work around and reloaded the trial version from the Apogee site and everything worked fine.

I'm having a problem with simulations in the updated Rocksim 10.1. The rocket has a streamer going at apogee and a parachute at 500' (Chute Release). The sim is having both ejected at apogee. Occasionally, the parachute will be noted at a different altitude than apogee, but not at 500'. Also, occasionally, the deployment altitude for the parachute, which had been set at 500', displays in a later run as 152.4 (which is 500' in meters). .rkt attached. Anybody else having issues with simulation results?
I just ran into a similar issue in the last couple days. I found if I restarted from the launch window and rechecked the flight events , it would deploy the streamer and chute and the desired settings. I did notice something when looking over the display details that I'm unsure of--the decent speed at chute deployment was noted as 122 MPH. Does that sound correct when using a single deploy with a JLCR? I had to install a "phantom" chute in the rocket components in order to get RS to recognize the JLCR event. Is RS not realizing the rocket is "tumbling" from ejection to chute deployment?

Most definitely not! worth the update, caused my RS to crash repeatedly during sessions and I lost all my work, and still does, (Oh and its NOT my Computer) the updated parts are hardly worth the aggravation and time it took to finely getting it working the way RS 10 did, some pages open and are so big I can't get to the bottom of the page to hit OK? I have to X out and hope it asks if I want to save my changes and then! I can select yes... I literally begged!!! for v10 back and they flat out said no. I have no idea where they get their info or their priority's on what! to update as well?? How about a simple motor search so I can just punch in K550 and it brings up that motor?? No! I have to scroll through endless motors half of which are not even produced any longer to find what I'm looking for. Or how about where I can enter 54/1706 and it shows all the motors for said case??? Not everyone has every case so a simple search by the case size you DO! have would be a huge!! improvement. I can't even select Aerotech or CTI to narrow down the search as that function doesn't work either any longer, I have to select ALL now..... Anyway FWIW keep your v10 you'll be much happier.......

I wish I had just stayed with v9. I get crashes after I've saved a given rocket, and am opening up another file. I get errors saying crossed lines in fins, when they clearly are not (its purely random, no apparent pattern), can't color fins (admittedly minor issue). Not sure I trust the stability of my current design. It was about 1.6, then I changed a few minor things and now its 7+ (3.95 with a large E12 motor). WTF is that about? I doublechecked all masses, total mass looks about right, stability is out in cookoo-land.

...Or how about where I can enter 54/1706 and it shows all the motors for said case???...

Keep in mind that the motor file formats (.eng and .rse) do not include the case size, so Rocksim has no way to know that information. Only recently did Thrustcurve include case as a search criteria.

All these 10.1 issues being reported are really weird. I can't imagine Apogee would release such a buggy version. v10.1 may be the first one by the new developer guy, and he is trying to do things HIS way, and it is isn't working as expected.

uggh

couldn't get a good launch on 10, upgraded to 10.1 and I can't get a rocket off a pad, even when I put my P motor in a estes rocket!

What am I doing wrong?

Is there any way to UPGRADE to Rocksim 9? At least that works well.

Its a joke! v10.1 ruined a perfectly good version, and don't bother asking for v10 back because the'yll give you some ridicule's reason that they don't have v10 anymore........................... yeah OK!!! ..........

1)Change the launch even to deploy at apogee
2)Delete the NC Coupler and see it it fly they then, Yeah I know its stupid but try it.
3) Delete 1 item at a time and see if it'll fly after deleting each item you might find what's holding it up by proses of elimination

I found out long ago if you have a version that is working well, fits your needs, don't fricken do the upgrades. Seems the upgrades just screw everything up.

Keep in mind that the motor file formats (.eng and .rse) do not include the case size, so Rocksim has no way to know that information. Only recently did Thrustcurve include case as a search criteria.

All these 10.1 issues being reported are really weird. I can't imagine Apogee would release such a buggy version. v10.1 may be the first one by the new developer guy, and he is trying to do things HIS way, and it is isn't working as expected.

Well imagine it because V10.1 is a joke! and as far as adding case size???? In this day and age its Childs play.... hell my cell phone has 100x the the power v10.1 has, what was updated was useless nonsensical garbage that helps MAYBE 2% of the people using the system. adding in that case search feature is again childs play and would be one of the most useful add ons they ever did!................ Do us ALL! a favor next time you think of doing an upgrade???? ...............DON'T!!!!!!!

well, they really screwed up one of the best rocket programs. I'm shocked that they didn't appear to do ANY beta testing. This is unacceptable for shareware and is inexcusable for a program you pay for.

Rick I complained for 3 days and they did NOTHING!!!!! I sais ALL I wanted was my 10 back and even that they said NO! to....... I siad I'd walk away quiet and that I'd of figured they would want! to do it just to SHUT ME UP! but nope they left it like crap! now mine crashes once a day and I still have to select ALL to sellect a motor, cant do just AT or just CTI other wise nothing will show motor wise, then then had the gall to say it was on my end lolol.....

I just ran into a similar issue in the last couple days. I found if I restarted from the launch window and rechecked the flight events , it would deploy the streamer and chute and the desired settings. I did notice something when looking over the display details that I'm unsure of--the decent speed at chute deployment was noted as 122 MPH. Does that sound correct when using a single deploy with a JLCR? I had to install a "phantom" chute in the rocket components in order to get RS to recognize the JLCR event. Is RS not realizing the rocket is "tumbling" from ejection to chute deployment?
I always deploy a phantom apogee/max delay event with a dummy parachute or streamer when I am using a JLCR. Rocksim has no idea what a JLCR is. My assumption has been that if you have only a main and tell it to deploy at 500 feet that the software will assumes a ballistic return to that altitude. How would it know any different? Doing this worked fine in V10. It's screwed up in V10.1.

I suspect they won't let people back-level to V10 because their software management software is hideously primitive and would get screwed up if they did. Add to that a new programmer that probably is not a rocketry guy and you have a perfect storm of software updates and inadequate testing. They should be having a user group doing Beta testing with a defined test plan (hell, I'm sure I could create a decent one in a week), but they don't. I suggested it, heard nothing back.

Apogee needs to get their **** together...

I'm seeing some of the issues as I just upgraded from Version 7. A lot of the motor files would not work and had to be tweaked to prevent errors while compiling. Version 10.1 is definitely better for what I use it for. Hopefully, they will push out an update to fix the bugs.

Back