New RockSim V10.1

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The link takes you to the general Rocksim page. When you click on the link to get the new version, it takes you to the Rocksim trial page. When you "signup" for the trial version to get the email download link, you get an email with a link to the current (10.0.0) version, not the new one...

Flumoxxed...

The link takes you to the general Rocksim page. When you click on the link to get the new version, it takes you to the Rocksim trial page. When you "signup" for the trial version to get the email download link, you get an email with a link to the current (10.0.0) version, not the new one...

Flumoxxed...
Well, it's not February 18 yet...

Nice to know that!

Since by the time I bought RockSim V9 Apogee was still using the ".lif" activation system, I had to request a key in order to upgrade to V10. I'll try this release as soon as I get the new key.

Thank you aerostadt!

Well, it's not February 18 yet...
Well, the webpage describes the update's feature set and had a link "Download this version here." which led to the old version, so the link didn't take you to the new version. Just sayin'...

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Well, the webpage describes the update's feature set and had a link "Download this version here." which led to the old version, so the link didn't take you to the new version. Just sayin'...

View attachment 451208
Well, I just DL'd the trial version and I can confirm it is NOT ver 10.1.0 f161. The DL gives you rocksim_pc_prod_10.0.0f118.exe

I spoke with Apogee concerning the release of the update. Some last minute issues are being worked out, but the release is expected to be available for distribution by the end of today. To update your existing Rocksim 10 installation, you simply open Rocksim 10 and then go to the About tab and check for updates. If available, the update will then install (it may also ask to install the update on startup).

Apogee will be posting an actual banner announcement on their website when the update is actually available. I hope this is helpful.

I happen to be in the middle of a 30-day trial right now... can I upgrade to the new version and keep the trial going? Not sure how. The "Check for updates" menu item does nothing for me.

They have posted a workaround on the link I posted above cuz the Check for Updates button doesn't work.
You are supposed to download the trial version and update through that.
I'm doing that now, will let you know what happens.

Ok, performed the workaround, still getting "No updates available at this time".
Guess I'll wait till they work the bugs out.
Sheesh.

Request the trial version using the following link:

RockSim Trial Version

The program should update to the latest version. Your registration key will be automatically transferred.
Yup, that's where I requested the link, then they sent it to me via email.
Downloaded the .exe and ran it. Opened Rocksim again, clicked on "help" and "Check for Updates"..
No cigar. Same "No Updates are available at this time".
Left them a message via the contact form.

Last edited:
Yeah, there were a couple of pop ups from Defender but I chose "Keep anyway" instead of "Delete".
Will try disabling Defender and running again.
Apparently it is picking it up as a malicious program.
Sheesh.

OK figured out what the problem was.
I thought you had to download the trial version then run update from that.
Turns out when you run the trial it already is v. 10.1.
Doh.:facepalm:

Hmm, got my RockSim updated, and I think it worked better with my 4K monitor before!

Just a few of the issues so far:

I can't click on the "Rocket design attributes" tab directly, it can only be reached by tabbing to another tab and then using the arrow keys.

Manually shrinking the rocket view frame leaves you with the tabular frame above with tons of gray space above and below the tables. The tables (like "Flight simulations") don't grow to fill the space, even when they contain many rows.

Opening a second RKT from an active RKT sometimes crashes the program.

If I have a secondary (1080p) monitor attached, when I start the program the RockSim window is set to a width that is WAY wider than my 4K monitor. I have to manually move the window to the left several times until I can see the maximize icon and get it to fill the screen.

Double-clicking a component brings up the details window (finally!), but it's not centered on the screen (clear to the bottom right), and it's not always on the "General" tab, seems to often come up on "Database" or even "Mass override".

I've notices bugs as well, although I haven't had time to make notes of them all yet.

On a different note, I saw a reference somewhere to a "Cluster Wizard" that was supposedly in the previous version, but was and is nowhere to be found in the menus. Was that only a feature of Rocksim Pro?

On a different note, I saw a reference somewhere to a "Cluster Wizard" that was supposedly in the previous version, but was and is nowhere to be found in the menus. Was that only a feature of Rocksim Pro?

There's been some incarnation of a cluster ability/wizard in Rocksim for quite some time. At least version 7, and likely earlier.

Hmm, got my RockSim updated, and I think it worked better with my 4K monitor before!

I can't click on the "Rocket design attributes" tab directly, it can only be reached by tabbing to another tab and then using the arrow keys.
The words "Rocket" and "design" are not active(?). The word "attributes" is active because the tab is highlighted when the cursor is placed on it. It's not consistent however works more often than not.

Last edited:
I've notices bugs as well, although I haven't had time to make notes of them all yet.

Watch yesterday's 10.1 Facebook Live video on YouTube. Tim shows the cluster wizard.

Also interesting in the video is the effort to eventually put everything RockSim on The Cloud. Hmm, I wonder if cloud-based computing will enable CFD simulation with Rocksim.

Watch yesterday's 10.1 Facebook Live video on YouTube. Tim shows the cluster wizard.

Also interesting in the video is the effort to eventually put everything RockSim on The Cloud. Hmm, I wonder if cloud-based computing will enable CFD simulation with Rocksim.
I didn't watch the Facebook video, but I did watch the Apogee video on installing version 10.1, which I would recommend watching.

I kept downloading a link to 10.0.01 f118, which just got me the old version. I sent a message to Tim and got a reply this morning giving me a link to download 10.1.0 f173. Executing this link worked like a charm! I did follow the video's recommendation and dragged the old designs file to the desktop and then installed everything else.

Not interested in the Cloud. Unusable at a lot of launch sites. Plus I refuse to buy a Starlink subscription. I'm also an astronomer and the satellites are ruining the night sky for astronomy...

Manually shrinking the rocket view frame leaves you with the tabular frame above with tons of gray space above and below the tables. The tables (like "Flight simulations") don't grow to fill the space, even when they contain many rows.

Opening a second RKT from an active RKT sometimes crashes the program.

If I have a secondary (1080p) monitor attached, when I start the program the RockSim window is set to a width that is WAY wider than my 4K monitor. I have to manually move the window to the left several times until I can see the maximize icon and get it to fill the screen.

Double-clicking a component brings up the details window (finally!), but it's not centered on the screen (clear to the bottom right), and it's not always on the "General" tab, seems to often come up on "Database" or even "Mass override".
Additional observations....

1. In the simulation view, plugged engines show up as 0 delay engines despite picking Plugged on the engine selection scene. See pic below. Used to and should be designated as Plugged, since 0 delay has special meaning for Estes BP engines (booster engines, which are NOT plugged).

Untitled.jpg
2. I have subassemblies I created in the previous version. Now these subassemblies throw error messages any time I run a simulation. I even re-saved the subassembly - still get the same error messages.

Untitled2.jpg

3. I have a similar issue with the Rocket design attributes tab, but it is erratic.

4. For the previous version, I had to change compatibility mode for Engedit.exe to Windows 8. It stopped working in the new version and required removing the compatibility mode to default to Windows 10 to get it to run again.

Is anyone having trouble printing from the new update? No matter what printer I select I just get a message "printing to C:/Program Files (x86)/RockSim 10/pdf_prints Except that folder doesn't exist. And I get it when I try to print to my actual printer, not save to a pdf.

I use Mac OS and my RS 10.1 woes are:

1. opening a new rocket file while another rocket is open will sometimes crash the program. There is no workaround.

2. Selecting a component from the database by double clicking it will instead load the next component in the list (e.g., select the fourth component and the fifth one is loaded). However, selecting the component by clicking it once then clicking [OK] works as expected.

3. drawing custom fins and removing points does funky things to the drawing section on the screen yet the fin preview on the rocket looks correct. The workaround is to exit the wizard and then go back into it.

4. When entering custom fin points, via the coordinate list, will crash the program. This is seemingly random. It’s happened to me every entry and may also not happen at all. But, it happens more often than not. There is no workaround.

All of these issues are significant and need resolution. Does anyone know if this software is independently QAd or if there has been any kind of UAT? Seems these issues should have been caught as the use case for each is quite basic and common.

Back