Quantcast

New RockSim V10.1

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Mike Haberer

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this software is independently QAd or if there has been any kind of UAT? Seems these issues should have been caught as the use case for each is quite basic and common.
No idea. I'm a retired IT guy, so I could definitely run it through it's paces as a UAT if asked. I expect there isn't a UAT at this point. The program is quite complex and it would be easy to break something when it's changed.

rklapp

NAR# 109557
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Tim (@Apogee Components) refers to a Pro version in his FB videos. I called and asked about the differences between 10.1 and Pro. In the past, the Pro version was $1000 and had controls for national security reasons. It was meant for universities and such. Tim is determining options for the new Pro. Sounds like I'll stick with the 10.1 version. She said she'll talk to Tim about clarification, particularly should I buy the 10.1 or wait for the Pro.

Dan Griffing

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I use Mac OS and my RS 10.1 woes are:

1. opening a new rocket file while another rocket is open will sometimes crash the program. There is no workaround.

2. Selecting a component from the database by double clicking it will instead load the next component in the list (e.g., select the fourth component and the fifth one is loaded). However, selecting the component by clicking it once then clicking [OK] works as expected.

3. drawing custom fins and removing points does funky things to the drawing section on the screen yet the fin preview on the rocket looks correct. The workaround is to exit the wizard and then go back into it.

4. When entering custom fin points, via the coordinate list, will crash the program. This is seemingly random. It’s happened to me every entry and may also not happen at all. But, it happens more often than not. There is no workaround.

All of these issues are significant and need resolution. Does anyone know if this software is independently QAd or if there has been any kind of UAT? Seems these issues should have been caught as the use case for each is quite basic and common.
Thanks for sharing.

Those are useful things to know, and potentially important reasons for not upgrading now from RS 10.0 — that I’m already satisfied with.

Ian A Dalton

Reaction score
4. When entering custom fin points, via the coordinate list, will crash the program. This is seemingly random. It’s happened to me every entry and may also not happen at all. But, it happens more often than not. There is no workaround.
I found how to avoid this issue. If you are designing fins and need to draw them out with 5 points (as an example), place five points in the design area and get a (really) rough lay out of how the fin is going to look. You cannot adjust a point once it is down quite yet. So place the point then move to the next. Then leave custom fin wizard once all the points are down. After that, you can go back into the fin and play with the points you've placed without issue.

Bill S

Reaction score
I've only played a little bit with RS's new version. I have a previously working file that I can no longer add motors to to test simuated launches. No matter what type motor, the rocket won't launch. It worked pre-Rocksim 10. I suspect some change has broken some older RS files.

I had little success with RS 10's recommended motor feature. Many times it would crash before even doing its first sim.

I kind of wish I had stuck with RS v9.