New Rocketry show on TV

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you stop the video at 29 seconds, one of the motors on a fin started way before the others. I seen the Phoenix too.

Hi Jeff,
I didn't notice that but if that rocket had been inherently stable I believe it wouldn't have done that initial curving flight path off the rail. I could see where the asymmetric thrust from two of the three fin motors would result in that corkscrewing that was seen later on in the boost in that unstable flight.
If the rocket was stable right off and there was an early ignition of one of the fin motors, I would have expected a little bit of a curve in the boost phase and not the erratic spiral flight seen in the later portion of the video.
There was a lot of motor weight in the butt end of that rocket. If there was adequate noseweight, I wouldn't have expected that type of flight.
Yeah that full sized Phoenix was quite the ship. I spent a lot of time in the flier's shop mixing motors in 25kg batches in a commercial mixer.
The rocket group helped make the N and O motors. We generally had great success with our research motors and the motor on the Phoenix crash performed nominally.
Later on, it was used in three more projects. On one flight, the two altimeters were dorked by Rf from the 2 watt Garmin GPS dog tracker and the rocket core sampled. Only the engine retainer was sticking out of the ground. That was like a 12 foot long rocket. Took a backhoe to get it out.
Next flight in a shorter rocket, the ebay wasn't sturdy enough and the main chute deployment tore apart the ebay and that rocket died.
Last flight was in a 12 foot tall 16 inch diameter rocket and that was it for the 6 inch diameter motor casing. Upon ignition, the aft end of the motor casing blew out. The rocket worked itself off the rail, with flaming grains falling out by gravity, tipped over and the motor grains consumed the rocket and the launch trailer. Fortunately the launch trailer was from our Peoria group and no QCRS hardware was destroyed! :)
The flier, Pat Hibbs, gave up on large diameter motors after that.
What I believe is the recurrent heat flux on the aft end of the motor caused the aluminum to lose strength and it eventually gave way. The end of the motor fractured. It had a threaded and pinned aft closure. That did not give way. The case fractured well above the the aft closure. The motor had a big full diameter graphite nozzle and I've notice in the research groups that fliers in the large diameter range many times use a phenolic carrier for the graphite nozzle. Phenolic is a better insulator than graphite.
Heat stress doomed the motor after like 6 firings.
Sorry to drift a bit OT on this thread but butt heavy rockets can do screwy things. Kurt

I watched an episode last night and was not impressed.

The host was annoying, and the contestants were boring, so from a ”reality TV” point of view, it didn’t have the basic crucial ingredient of a good cast. The one couple kept trying to make mild trash talk, but it came off like pissy passive-aggressive sniping. Blech.

The reaction shots were ridiculous, exaggerated and over the top, and not just the reactions to the flights — the contestants had the same overblown reactions to the host and his announcements. Lame. The “Santa voice” narration was terrible! I hated the Christmas sweaters. And the whole premise was to give the teams challenges guaranteed to be unworkable and have them solve it in an unreasonable amount of time so they could record the mishaps. Booo! This is too contrived and fake!

I like video of rocket mishaps. I’m fine with that! Get rid of the lame characters and bogus premises and be straightforward about it! Give me a show called ”Rocket Disasters” with quality video of skywriting, catos, lawn darts, etc., and I will watch that!

So how do non L3 people or L-anything, fly L3 motors and get away with it? Not to mention have the skills or experience to build anything to fly on those motors? I'm still trying to avoid watching it.

I just watched this last night and was floored to see that a member of one of my local clubs (BARC) is one of the contestants (Jessica, team Space Cats). She got her level 2 at BARC last year. I agree with the comments regarding the show but its still cool to see someone I know on there!

I think the short time frames and inappropriate materials are exactly what the script for these kinds of "stupid rocket trick" shows call for. That's my take anyway but I haven't watched this particular version yet.

Christmas tree lofting sounds like an old idea to me. I'll need to do some googling ...

Christmas tree lofting sounds like an old idea to me. I'll need to do some googling ...
I think a few Tripoli sections used to do this on an annual basis... then it got to be old. Oddrocs are fun when they're done on a very occasional basis... and by someone that knows what they're doing. Nobody wants to see a porta-potty pinwheeling down the range. Except maybe the guys on the Discovery Channel...

I watched the first episode. It was about what I expected, standard reality show competition fare. Almost nothing about rocketry per se, and everything about "throw junk together as hastily as possible to make it do something arbitrary and hopefully blow up". There would be, on some occasions, interesting analysis to understand why the "rockets" did what they did, but of course the show is not interested in exploring that in any sort of meaningful way. Because then it would actually be about rocketry, which is not the intent.

I didn't like the host... but I also know that he's doing pretty much what he is asked to do, so I probably can't blame him. On the other hand, the Santa voice describing what each team is building is monstrously annoying.

And yet I will probably keep watching, with my finger on the fast-forward button, just in case anything interesting happens.

I decided to watch it. The over theatrical reactions or responses make it hard, I'm about 11 minutes in....its all for show and entertainment and serve that purpose. Its fine I guess. But just a bummer for those in actual rocketry to get the chance to see our technical recreation presented to the world like this. Onwards.

The Zip tie Oversight Committee reports its findings.
20201206_123632.jpg
20201206_124010.jpg
20201206_124454.jpg

20201206_124326.jpg

Expert level fillets
20201206_123843.jpg

One teams success speech and flight
"Sticking to the fundamental of rocketry helped us maintain stability longer than others and make our rocket go higher."
20201206_130318.jpg

Last edited:
The host was annoying,

I think he is some "famous" YouTube "celebrity" known for doing asinine "science" stunts.

I like video of rocket mishaps. I’m fine with that! Get rid of the lame characters and bogus premises and be straightforward about it! Give me a show called ”Rocket Disasters” with quality video of skywriting, catos, lawn darts, etc., and I will watch that!

Sign me up...

I watched the first episode with the Xmas trees. I did better that all of them with an I210, three hose clamps, and a 4' pink plastic fake tree.

I'll use as filler when nothing else is on. Hey my DVR will hold 2,000 hours of TV, this can take up a small bit.

I truly hope no one involved in the hobby was a part of it. If so they should be severly censured.
I noticed that one woman contestant explained that she did fly LPR and HPR so presumably that means she is a NAR or TRA member. That was this past Thursday.
I probably will not watch again because of the sensational intent and the over abundance of commercials.

I noticed that one woman contestant explained that she did fly LPR and HPR so presumably that means she is a NAR or TRA member. That was this past Thursday.
I probably will not watch again because of the sensational intent and the over abundance of commercials.

Yeah, I did notice that time between segments was around 4 minutes. Used to be around 3ish. Might be the same for all networks tho... Gotta make that coin.

5 4 3 2 1, cut to pushing the button, cut to the YouTuber overacting "OOOOH!", cut to three minutes of commercials. Lather, rinse, repeat. Yeah, it didn't take long for the formula to get annoying.

So how do non L3 people or L-anything, fly L3 motors and get away with it? Not to mention have the skills or experience to build anything to fly on those motors? I'm still trying to avoid watching it.

No L3 motors were flown.

L-Anything then?

People who are using them in some professional capacity (including making TV shows) can buy them without certification. The Mythbusters bought 40-some I motors to test the Chinese emperor flying to the moon myth. They also had L3 and L2 people on hand as consultants.

People who are using them in some professional capacity (including making TV shows) can buy them without certification. The Mythbusters bought 40-some I motors to test the Chinese emperor flying to the moon myth. They also had L3 and L2 people on hand as consultants.

they also did it at FAR, didn't they?! (And I seem to remember them saying they have experienced rocketeers with them / as consultants while these did their 'rocketry' bits..)

Wasn't there an episode of some 'Storage container' show where they got a storage unit full of HPR rockets?!

Incidentally, there was a rocket build episode of Junkyard Wars. As I recall, the teams did good, safe builds that worked well. The teams "found" pristine Aeretech cases. There was always some planting of key items in the "junkyard" on that show, but those cases were really blatant.

I was thinking about that Junkyard Wars episode as I was reading the entries above this one. I thought that show did pretty well. Experienced guys on each team. Not too much power. Standard (more or less) configuration vs. a sufficiently "odd-ball" design. Of course, like all "reality" shows, it appears the parts and motors in the junkyard were seeded to lean toward those two configurations (i.e. it was scripted). But again, not so bad.

There were no "L3" motors on the show . . .

If you want to see "L3 - Stupidity", you need to watch "The Rocket Challenge" ( 2003 ) that aired on the Discovery Channel . . . Watch for "Our Stinkin' Rocket" , a Port-A-Potty, flown by Ky Michaelson on TWO Aerotech M1419 motors.

Dave F.

There were no "L3" motors on the show . . .

If you want to see "L3 - Stupidity", you need to watch "The Rocket Challenge" ( 2003 ) that aired on the Discovery Channel . . . Watch for "Our Stinkin' Rocket" , a Port-A-Potty, flown by Ky Michaelson on TWO Aerotech M1419 motors.

Dave F.

Rocket Challenge is otherwise pretty good (it actually got me into high power) but I have always found the porta-potty flight irksome. Especially when it crashes and they cheer and say they couldn't have planned it better. I figure either Discovery staged that though or it's just a matter of "one in every crowd."

L-Anything then?
They said that it put out 60# for 1.1 secs, so that would make it about an H293. AT doesn't have a DMS motor like that, the closest is an H283 but that's a pretty short 38mm motor and the ones they had looked longer. They may have been I205's. Silly details like that aren't nearly as important as getting a good close-up on the 20 zip ties on the motor mount... that didn't hold.

Back