New Rocketey Club / New Event : Brainstorming Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshismycaptain

Reaction score
Goal : To create a rocketry club focusing on low to mid powered family friendly and affordable rocketry, featuring a unique Winter launch event on in Wahkon Bay on Mille Lacs Lake in central Minnesota.

Initial Thoughts : I enjoy being a coordinator of anything, as well as web building. The ability to oversee a small club, regardless of its size is an interest of mine. Having just purchased a cabin on Mille Lacs Lake, I am eager to bring my love of rocketry along with to the cabin. By avoiding high power (for the time being), I can focus on creating the club, which will initially consist of my own family of rocket enthusiasts, and hopefully spread to include locals around Mille Lacs and possibly the Twin Cities metro area. By creating a Winter event, I will convert one weekend of the off season into a fun rocketry outing for those who choose to participate. I don't foresee environmental limitations with low and mid powered rocketry on the lake as long as we leave no trace, but will research to be sure no laws are broken. I plan to be a member of Tripoli MN beginning in January of 2017, and will extend welcome to members who may wish to participate in a Winter event in Minnesota.

Please chime in with your thoughts, reactions, wisdom, recommendations and insight. I appreciate any help in creating a successful rocketry club my family can enjoy for years to come when at the cabin.

Josh

Contact the NAR and let them know you want to start a local section. You can get grant money, legitimate non-profit status, and get advertised in Sport Rocketry magazine. Being part of a national organization also gives you some pull with local hobby shops, like putting up signs and handing out fliers.

Contact the NAR and let them know you want to start a local section. You can get grant money, legitimate non-profit status, and get advertised in Sport Rocketry magazine. Being part of a national organization also gives you some pull with local hobby shops, like putting up signs and handing out fliers.

Awesome

Would it be appropriate to involve other local groups if my goal is to create my own?

Josh

I think so. Our hobby is relatively small, close-knit, and mostly very supportive. I'm guessing you may be drawing on the same pool of rocketeers as well. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them have already seen this thread. Would it be beneficial to you to observe group launch operations ? Discuss local regulatory conditions (if any) ?

Last edited:
No body will know more about how to run a club than people who have and are doing it.

Back