New Rocket Software

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GL-P

Reaction score
I'm writing a free program that features many calculators such as:

1) Recovery system descent rates
2) Drift
3) Chute and streamer sizing
4) Nosecone drawing
5) BP sizing

This program has a nice user interface but needs more tools!

Any ideas for tools you'd like to see?

I'm going to add a logbook but would like to know what features you want to go with the logbook!

Thanks guys

A rocket weight/motor thrust calculator (ie is the avg thrust sufficient) with choices of units, a transition calculator with drawing/print capability, a impulse calculator where you could input odd mixed clusters and find the equivalent motor (would require a motors database). Thats what popped into mind without thinking much.

By logbook, you mean flight logs? date, time, location, event, wind, temp, rocket name, motor(s), recovery method, ejection (early, at apogee, late, etc) predicted /actual altitude, comments. I use EMRR and most likely wouldn't use a flight log notebook.

GLP,
Can you say what application you are using for this software? Is it going to be EXCEL- or Visual BASIC-based for PCs or are you going for something like FORTRAN?
Are you leaning toward software for high-power rockets (BP sizing) or tailored for low- and mid-power rockets?

Can you say what application you are using for this software? Is it going to be EXCEL- or Visual BASIC-based for PCs or are you going for something like FORTRAN?

This program is an executable (.exe) so it doesn't need any support programs
It's free standing.Don't know if it will run under a MAC. It was written in Turing (a learning language with some amazing abilities!)

It has some simple pull down menus for tool selection. I'll add some popup windows later.

Are you leaning toward software for high-power rockets (BP sizing) or tailored for low- and mid-power rockets?

Everything

A rocket weight/motor thrust calculator (ie is the avg thrust sufficient) with choices of units, a transition calculator with drawing/print capability, a impulse calculator where you could input odd mixed clusters and find the equivalent motor (would require a motors database). Thats what popped into mind without thinking much.

That shouldn't be too hard. The hard part is getting a print function without having to save a pic of the screen and then printing the pic (I'm not using C++ or anything similar that easily prints).

For a computer idiot like myself this sounds like a great program. can't wait to see it. Any idea on program disc space required for us using older machines.. window 98 and such;)

It might be nice to see if a rocket would attain the minimum velocity for reaching the end of the launch rod given specific mass/drag/impulse. I'm current wrestling with with a model that will attain nice altitudes once it reaches the end of the required 104-inch rod!

Got a lot of issues to work out like printing and such. I also have to fit this into my hmk schedule :(

Don't you just hate it when life gets in the way of rocketry :)

Back