new rocket pics

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Reaction score
This is the reason I was asking the stuffer tube questions. It's a made up comercial space payloader. It's not named yet. I was thinking Red Delta 1. I havn't scratchbuilt anything this big before. Hope it works. It gets a test flight tomarrow.

I made to run on 24mm E's & D's, but it has a 18mm adapter, and the side pods have thrust rings for 18mm motors. The clustering will be tested much later. Gotta get it off the ground first. Wish me luck fellas..

Sorry for the teese. I can't get the the photos to work. I'll repost when I figure out how to get them small enough.

It worked!
Here's a close up of some doo dads I put on the nose.

This gets its test flight tomarrow. These (on my last few posts) pictures were to accompany my origional post, but I had to download Graphic Converter and resize for the forum. The origionals were much clearer. Here she is primed and ready for her boiler plate flight. If all goes well I'll post the paint job pics next week.

Justin...great job man...those are some very cool photos! Hope you launch goes well.

Good luck,

Carl

Alien Skulls Found On Mars? So that is where my Venus Probe went... I must of pointed it in the wrong direction ;)

nt3jm-
It's funny you should post that. I have have a estes venus probe that has never gone where it's supposed to. It's been smashed, treed and rained on , stomped, and crashed. It's still alive though. The alien is the only thing never damaged...kinda creepy....

Man, I have a couple of those Venus Probes...I open the box , look in , see all those sticks and say..."no, not today".

I swear one of these days I will build it and can only hope it is as resiliant as yours, Justin.

Carl

Originally posted by CTulanko
Man, I have a couple of those Venus Probes...I open the box , look in , see all those sticks and say..."no, not today".

I swear one of these days I will build it and can only hope it is as resiliant as yours, Justin.

Carl

Carl-
I wouldn't say ressiliant, but it's in one piece (well 2). It looks okay now, but under the paint it's a mass of tube couplers and tite bond. It has an entirely new motor mount and rear end now too. Origional fins though, no longer through the tube, but origional.. :D

I went to test fly the red delta and my field was full of fences, part of a parking lot, and a road cut off a third of it!:mad:

I havn't been here for a year, but the construction looked new. Some still going on. I have to find a new field in the Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. area. Anyone down here?

Justin, your rocket looks great !!!! You should think about marketing it .... provided she flys that is !

THEY KILLED MY FIELD!

I went to test fly the red delta and my field was full of fences, part of a parking lot, and a road cut off a third of it!

I havn't been here for a year, but the construction looked new. Some still going on. I have to find a new field in the Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. area. Anyone down here?

"progress" sucks doesnt it? Why cant folks see the value in a good size open field left just the way it is? They've killed many of my fields, fields I used to catch snakes and lizards in, fields I used to shoot my BB guns in, fields I used to play baseball in, fields I used to build clubhouses and tree houses in, fields I used to roughhouse and wrassle with my friends in, had many a disappointment in my childhood when finding that my favorite field had been turned into a stinkin' construction site.... people wonder what's wrong with the kids today... very simple, they dont have a field to play in, they're stuck with a dumpy parking lot or some crummy shopping mall! :mad:

unfortunately, it can go the other way too...

I had a huge field that I used to fly in right here in town. It used to be hayed by a local farmer. I was always afraid that it would get built up (especially with that "For Sale" sign on it for the last 20 years...)

It never got built up but the farmer has long since left. It is not nothing but woods and tall trees, no way to fly anything there...

Originally posted by CTulanko

Carl

I found out that the Venus Probe is actually not that bad of a build... someday I will finish mine ;). All the fins got snapped off :( Somebody decided to put a box of break parts on top of it...

Well, I did start to build them...just never finished...put it back in the box for safe keeping for another time.

Carl

Carl-
No, it's not that bad. Just gotta' roll the dowls to get a clean cut. Takes a minute, but it's a cool kit. I want another. Maybe it will fair better.:)

Larry H-
I know what you mean. The places we camped and cut bows from the woods are gone. Our old Sheridan .20 cal pellet range is gone..My friend (that is older than I ) tells me we he was a kid he used to ride his bike to the old treasure island gun club to shoot his .3006 where Pinnellas county residents drive to work past condos now.."The wheel weaves"...

Aerobee 300-
That is the best compliment I have ever recieved, seeing as the Red Delta 1 is the first moderately sized scratchbuild I have ever done. My Mac is too old for an emulator (so no roc sim) and my borroman packet was a little lacking (as are some of my math skills) , so the design was a big 'ol pile of semi-educated guesses. If I get a field soon, we get tests. No more guessing. I can't wait.;)

Jim-
The land in central Florida unfortunately goes from Palmetto scrub to condominiums in about a minute. I have traveled for a living for about the past ten years, and every time I get home it's more built. As an outdoorsman and a rocketeer it sucks..

That's the one thing that stinks about living in Orange County, Ca. The biggest empty field is only big enough for maybe a "B" size, possibly a "C". I have to drive about 35 to 40 miles just to shoot some of my bigger rockets and over 100 miles for the mid to high power stuff out in Lucerne. Most of the parks have too many trees( I lost my Mars Snooper II last year to rocket eating tree). Fields, what are those? Out here if it's empty, it's probably already in development.
If Anybody knows of a place around here, let me know.

I resserected one of my first threads! Why you ask? 'Cause the particular rocket it was based on is finnaly painted! Here is a pic that took almost 7 months to get to (don't get too wound, it aint THAT cool).:D

I decided to post these on the old thread to keep them together. Here's another view....

I may actually fly this thing this year!

Here's the last one of the "Red Delta 1" for now.

I hope to fly it at LDRS. I mean to run it on a 18mm C in an adapter first (may be too heavy:( ), then a d12-3 with a spacer, then an E9, then finnaly if it survives, and E and two C's.

Awsome bit of craftmanship. I like it. Really has that "lift a payload to geosyncronus orbit" look.

Yes, VERY nice. Any chance you roc-simmed this, or could post a set of plans?

I really appreciate the compliments folks.

Astronboy-
I don't have rocsim, so like I mentioned earlier in the thread, the design is based on some semi-educated guesses and rough math skills. I can't wait to test it.
If people are interested in makining one like it I'll post basic dimensions after I'm sure it works.

I'm not sure I could duplicate it, it's covered with a billion little pieces of styrene and balsa I used for surface details.:) I still have the left over plastruct pieces in their packages so I could get you the thinknesses of the styrene I used..I think...

Stewert32-
She got named the Red Delta 1. It's a fictional comercial satalite payloader (it dosen't really have a payload bay, thought it definately has room for one). Sorta Delta look'in with Redstone-ish fins.:D I'm glad the payloader look came through.

justin, looks great! still think you should have let me have those 2 little nose cones for my x-218 though. at least they would have flown (and crashed) a few times by now. :D
hope it's more stable than said x-218

I know where to get more of those little nosecones...For only about a billion bucks at the most expensive hobby shop in the free world. Or at least in Ft. Lauderdale.....

For anyone who remembers this old thread, Thhe Red Delta 1 is a success.

I got to test it on some 24mm stuff at LDRS, and it went off without a hitch. It's a little scratched (shockcord too short), but thats all. I came down gently on an Estes 18" chute.

I still have to do the c motor and cluster tests. I think it's a winner though.. I'll post pics when I get home from NY.

Latest posts

Back