New Rocket Company

CKaul04

Reaction score
Hi all,
It is with great happiness that I announce the creation of CGK Rockets. It is in the very early stages and we currently only have ideas for kits.

The first line we are hoping to produce is our armada line. This line will hopefully include 3 Cold War-era jet-style models such as a MiG 25 type model an F15 model and U2 model.
Those are the primary rockets as of now but in the future, we plan to offer many plane-themed low power rockets.

Cape Byron

The BAR formerly known as Skippy-2
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome to the monkey house! We need more kit manufacturers, and LPR is the place where this obsession starts for most of us. I started kitting and selling a couple of years ago, and while I haven't made any real money I've made a lot of friends.

And when you see someone flying one of your kits... magic. Pure, unadulterated bliss. If you ever have any questions about what not to do, I'm probably the go-to guy!

CKaul04

Reaction score
Welcome to the monkey house! We need more kit manufacturers, and LPR is the place where this obsession starts for most of us.

And when you see someone flying one of your kits... magic. Pure, unadulterated bliss. If you ever have any questions about what not to do, I'm probably the go-to guy!

Too many HPR Companies and not enough Builder LPR companies. Thanks
LPR is for the skilled

CKaul04

Reaction score
LPR is for the skilled????....Come ON, Another one?

As a person who is heavily involved in both LPR and large high power, I respectfully disagree. I also know a good many other people who are involved in both. Each have their own skill set and difficulties. Comments like that alienate a portion of your customer base :) .

I would just like to clarify my position on this. I have built some HPR and many LPR. I find that many HPR offer standard 3FNC setups. I do understand why we have kits like this. I am setting out to build a kit for builders and someone who appreciates the quality of the kits. I understand that there are challenges associated with many HPR but many of these models are priced out of the range of many builders. I also forgot that fiberglass kits exist and those are a challenge. The flights associated with HPR are more costly as well. For those reasons I stick to LPR but to each their own. Hopefully, you look for building one of my kits in the future.

Respectively,
Colin

MidOH

Reaction score
Good luck. Nearly every small rocket company out there is "out of stock" on everything. So now's a good time to start up. Kits are definitely selling well.

A 4"+ paper rocket is easier to build than low power stuff. CP is listed in the instructions. Every internal component can be reached by hand. Huge surface areas on the cone/bay, means that even your own breath can easily eject them. Shear pins snap like a twig. Epoxy can't be defeated. There's nothing to it.

Dual deployment is easier than setting the clock on your Blueray player (assuming Missleworks boards). Although we're using DD in LPR's now as well.

Skinny HP fiberglass rockets are the ones that are harder than LPR's. I enjoy them, but they're not as relaxing and fun, to build, as 4" stuff.

The Estes SR71, and the many X15 rockets, still draw a bit of interest every time one is launched. So, cool niche to be in.

Last edited:

heada

Reaction score

That is anything but "3FNC" HPR

Nothing wrong with HPR or LPR, I fly both. To imply that HPR doesn't require skill is insulting. #1 rule here, and anywhere really, don't insult your potential customers. It doesn't end well.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
I would just like to clarify my position on this. I have built some HPR and many LPR. I find that many HPR offer standard 3FNC setups. I do understand why we have kits like this. I am setting out to build a kit for builders and someone who appreciates the quality of the kits. I understand that there are challenges associated with many HPR but many of these models are priced out of the range of many builders. I also forgot that fiberglass kits exist and those are a challenge. The flights associated with HPR are more costly as well. For those reasons I stick to LPR but to each their own. Hopefully, you look for building one of my kits in the future.

Respectively,
Colin
A builder's kit is a builder's kit no matter what size motor you put in it. Maybe that's what you meant to say?

CKaul04

Reaction score

Nothing wrong with HPR or LPR, I fly both. To imply that HPR doesn't require skill is insulting. #1 rule here, and anywhere really, don't insult your potential customers. It doesn't end well.
That is an awesome kit. I do not have one but I would venture that it is well worth the price.

Arsenal78

Reaction score
I do have to agree that low power takes more skill to build. I built and painted my L2 5.5 Goblin in like a day or two but could you build and paint things like the Saturn V/1B, Outlander, Little Joe 1/2, Rocketarium kits, etc in that time frame? I don't think so. While I enjoy high power, low/mid power provides more enjoyment and frankly a lot of high power people I've met are stuck up and think high power is the way. Sorry not sorry.

user 35280

Reaction score
It definitely would be really nice to see more kits like this available.

CKaul04

Reaction score

Odd’l kits are amazing. The partial reason for starting CGK was to produce some awesome jet type kits. I am not going to copy any of Chris’s kits. I just want to make kits that I like and hopefully you all like them too.

Thanks,
Colin

boomtube-mk2

Reaction score
One thing about LPR, is that you can design, build and fly unconventional rockets that would be extremely difficult*, as well as Bat🤬 crazy expensive, to build in HPR.

*I would have said imposable but then some smarty-pants would come along and prove me wrong.
Which isn't a bad thing it's just annoying.

neil_w

OpenRocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
With all due respect... some of y'all are making way too much of the OP's statement. Yes, it was... kinda dumb, but not exactly a capital offense. Let's take a chill pill and move on.
Both LPR and HPR have their challenges and different people sit in different camps for various reasons, or across both (that's where I fit, but mainly HPR). To each their own.
👍

BSNW

Reaction score
With all due respect... some of y'all are making way too much of the OP's statement. Yes, it was... kinda dumb, but not exactly a capital offense. Let's take a chill pill and move on.

👍

I do agree and see I am/was a part of it. I apologize to the OP

I do stand by what I said, but I do completely agree with Neil, that the comment was not a capitol offense. I am thus.....Chilled :)

I truly wish the OP all the best and hope to get one of his kits.

Peace.

BSNW

Reaction score
With respect, I also don't feel that my comments were that inflammatory which lead to their removal; as the issues I brought up are real and, IMO need to be talked and worked out.

It IS a forum and people CAN and DO disagree and people CAN be passionate (apparently not). But hey, It is what it is. I apologized and will move on.

Take care all.
Andrew

Arsenal78

Reaction score

I have a Screaming Eagle built but I lost all the decals years ago lol. I have a Cricut now so I may try finding a scan and recutting out of vinyl. It was NOT an easy build, especially with those intakes and having to curve them.

Reaction score
The challenge with winged LPR is designing a rocket that flies straight and doesn’t end up on a road or canal. Lots of decisions. Size of motor, BP or composite, balsa or plastic. You could build a dozen prototypes before making a decision. Oddl and Fliskits seems to have figured it out. I wish you luck.

teepot

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I do have to agree that low power takes more skill to build. I built and painted my L2 5.5 Goblin in like a day or two but could you build and paint things like the Saturn V/1B, Outlander, Little Joe 1/2, Rocketarium kits, etc in that time frame? I don't think so. While I enjoy high power, low/mid power provides more enjoyment and frankly a lot of high power people I've met are stuck up and think high power is the way. Sorry not sorry.
You must know some real jerks. All the HPR people I've meet are nice guys and gals. Quick to help a new flyer or someone just starting HPR. When I first joined our group nobody looked down their nose at me because I was flying MPR. So I take exception to your comment that most HPR people are stuck up. I've never meet any jerks regardless what level their at. LPR, MPR or HPR .

kyle

Space: mostly nothing, partially stars
Reaction score

No, more like an 8 FNC. Essentially a roided up Estes Bullpup with extra stickers (as are most military-style missile repros). I get the point you were trying to make, but maybe next time pick something that's not an overgrown Estes kit to claim it being special.

So what's so special about that kit that a chunk of angle aluminum and a couple clamps can't overcome? Seems like a Cherokee 3 is more complex, dual deploy aside (as many HPR 3fnc rockets are). It was obviously picked as being special for a reason.

kyle

Space: mostly nothing, partially stars
Reaction score
Where are you located so I can avoid moving there and flying with the Alpha Hotels at your club?

Arsenal78

Reaction score
Where are you located so I can avoid moving there and flying with the Alpha Hotels at your club?
Stay away from Bama Blastoff or SEARS lol. My club mainly does low/mid power but I had some issues at both BAMA and SEARS.

GlenP

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like a great idea, good luck! Dr. Zooch left a big gap to fill with his great collection of fun LPR builder kits in an ant-size set of historical space rockets. I wish I could have collected them all when they were still in production.

I always thought the Centuri Fighter Fleet kits and Strike Force kits were really cool.

81cen26.jpg

81cen24.jpg

and of course the Blackbird
81cen32.jpg

and Estes had a bunch of cool Sci-Fi themed space plane type kits too.

(images linked show up when I Edit this, but not after posting it?)

Warren Baker

Reaction score
Fairly new here but lurk a lot. I'm not surprised at all by the negative Nancy's that can't wait to be first to disagree or put down. I found the block feature was my friend. OP, my next build will be Conquest, just finished LEO last night. I will love to do a airplane type so best to you. Cranky types...block me your annoying.

After looking this morning I think the LEO needs another coat of clear. I like winged models, my first one was this xerkonian Destroyer from the 80s I think. It's been fixed and repaired a few times and now it hangs in my granddaughters room.
Again best of luck, put me on a buyers list if you are making one.

Attachments

• 20220202_085945.jpg
    20220202_085945.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220202_085921.jpg
    20220202_085921.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 30
  • 20220202_085745.jpg
    20220202_085745.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 20211201_161500.jpg
    20211201_161500.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 31

cbwho

Reaction score
The challenge with winged LPR is designing a rocket that flies straight and doesn’t end up on a road or canal. Lots of decisions. Size of motor, BP or composite, balsa or plastic. You could build a dozen prototypes before making a decision. Oddl and Fliskits seems to have figured it out. I wish you luck.

My new homebrew designs are now all winged rockets. I think this is a space with a lot of potential.

They fly very well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220202-083513~2.png
    Screenshot_20220202-083513~2.png
    849 KB · Views: 23
Last edited: