New Quest Products Sell Sheet

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if the X15 is a copy of the plastic one from years back? One was recently linked to at ebay and it went for big bucks. I have wanted to get another one to replace the one I had as a kid.

I don't see what the glass bead is actually doing in this igniter...except maybe getting broken the range box? Can someone explain it's significance to me? :confused:

Jason

Originally posted by jetra2
I don't see what the glass bead is actually doing in this igniter...except maybe getting broken the range box? Can someone explain it's significance to me?
It holds the igniter wires apart so they don't short together. MRC used to sell an igniter that looked almost identical. They were a very popular and reliable igniter.

Originally posted by jetra2
I don't see what the glass bead is actually doing in this igniter...except maybe getting broken the range box? Can someone explain it's significance to me? :confused:

Jason

The glass bead is there so you can bend the leads without worrying about shorting out the leads near the initiator. If the igniter is abused... the glass bead will outlast the rest of the igniter.

Originally posted by n3tjm
The glass bead is there so you can bend the leads without worrying about shorting out the leads near the initiator. If the igniter is abused... the glass bead will outlast the rest of the igniter.
Oh, it will only work in an Aerotech rocket? hehehehe

Originally posted by Ltvscout
Oh, it will only work in an Aerotech rocket? hehehehe

Nope. You see... the Aerotech Initiator is such an intimidating rocket, that the igniter gets scared, and swivels up onto itself :)

Actually, the head of the igniter is called the initiator. It initiates the chain reaction that results in expanding gas, which we use to propel our rocekts ;)

Actually, the head of the igniter is called the initiator. It initiates the chain reaction that results in expanding gas, which we use to propel our rocekts ;)
Hmmm, the only chain reaction I've ever noticed from expanding gas is the people in my vicinity yelling, "Oh dad, that stinks!" ;)

Originally posted by Ltvscout
Hmmm, the only chain reaction I've ever noticed from expanding gas is the people in my vicinity yelling, "Oh dad, that stinks!" ;)

If he was in space... that might be enough to propell him :D.

maybe I should of said results into expanding gas :)

Nice Scan Scott!
Sorry about all of the folds!

Sorry Rbeckey,
This is not a plastic X-15 (except for the molded nose cone). It is based around the 35mm tube and has all laser cut balsa fins. Yes the igniters are essentially the same as the mrc ones. One word of advice... If you happen to have a box with about 100 of these igniters in it and you are flying on a slightly breezy day; do not leave the box of igniters open on the roof of your car. These igniters have the perfect camo job for slightly browned tall grass!!!

Originally posted by rokitflite
These igniters have the perfect camo job for slightly browned tall grass!!!

Another thing to add to the list of what not to drop in the grass at the rocket launch.... put that next to the RMS o-rings :rolleyes:

Nice Scan Scott!
No problem, Scott. I appreciate you sending it to me so I could get it online for everyone to check out. Now that you have my address, I'll be glad to do the same with any other new sell sheets you get in the future. ;) I'd like to see Bill be successful.

I have several of these new ignitors, they are very good looking and the pyrogen is shaped so some of them will fit in the MMX nozzles for clustering...

ive only used one so far, but it worked great!

Scott McNeely

They look like the MRC igniters. If they are, they will be good igniters :).

I still have a supply of these MRC ignitors, they were from a bunch of the tiny 'FX' motors (I say motors but they were smoke only - no thrust)

These things look pretty cool, but I gotta say I'm a little disappointed that Quest hasn't announced any MicroMax kits yet. I mean, the RTFs are OK, and I'm having a blast designing cardstock MMX rockets, but I'd really love to get my hands on a MMX kit or three done like a regular kit.

Ah, well, they'll come out eventually! ;)

Greg

Nice Scan Scott!

Sorry Rbeckey,
This is not a plastic X-15 (except for the molded nose cone). It is based around the 35mm tube and has all laser cut balsa fins. Yes the igniters are essentially the same as the mrc ones. One word of advice... If you happen to have a box with about 100 of these igniters in it and you are flying on a slightly breezy day; do not leave the box of igniters open on the roof of your car. These igniters have the perfect camo job for slightly browned tall grass!!!

Hey, rokitflite! Thanks for my copy, too! I was out of town so I don't know exactly when it got here, but I got it!

Thanks again.

Originally posted by gpoehlein
These things look pretty cool, but I gotta say I'm a little disappointed that Quest hasn't announced any MicroMax kits yet. I mean, the RTFs are OK, and I'm having a blast designing cardstock MMX rockets, but I'd really love to get my hands on a MMX kit or three done like a regular kit.

Ah, well, they'll come out eventually! ;)

Greg

I think the problem is that since the MMX is based on a motor size that is more or less unique throughout the rest of the rocketry world, that opens up a whole new inventory of parts sizes (tubes, cones, motor mounts, etc) Quest would have to stock and deal with to introduce kits. Plus there would be a ceiling on how much you could charge for kits - if bargain basement 13mm kits are going for $4-$5 retail, what could you get for a MM kit? $2/$3?? You get to the point where it's hardly worth the money to mail it out.

Of course that's not an insurmountable barrier, but it is a significant expense, which might explain the hangup. Anyway the cardstock MMX kits are fun to fool around with. ;)

Quest IS making Micro Maxx Kits for next year! And attached is a picture of some of the tubes that they have already had made to do the prototyping!

Quest IS making Micro Maxx Kits for next year! And attached is a picture of some of the tubes that they have already had made to do the prototyping!

Oh, I had little doubt they were coming out - I'm just impatient! ;)

As I said, they'll be out eventually.

Greg

What problem?
Every comment from Bill Stine that I've heard was "2005" for the new MicroMaxx kits.

Until then, Burn up those existing plastic RTFs or make your own scratch built models. Tubing and nose cones are out there. Visit the YahooGroup Micromax (one "x" since they don't allow two x's) for complete lists of part and kit sources and tons of plans and photos.

https://groups.yahoo.com/group/MicroMaxRockets/

Originally posted by JStarStar
I think the problem is that since the MMX is based on a motor size that is more or less unique throughout the rest of the rocketry world, that opens up a whole new inventory of parts sizes (tubes, cones, motor mounts, etc) Quest would have to stock and deal with to introduce kits. Plus there would be a ceiling on how much you could charge for kits - if bargain basement 13mm kits are going for $4-$5 retail, what could you get for a MM kit? $2/$3?? You get to the point where it's hardly worth the money to mail it out.

Of course that's not an insurmountable barrier, but it is a significant expense, which might explain the hangup. Anyway the cardstock MMX kits are fun to fool around with. ;)

Hi Fore Check (builder of some cool a$$ed rockets!!!),
There are no 24mm motors in the works. The D motor will be an 18mm D20 composite.

Oh....

I thought that I read around here that Quest was going to be making some E engines and some 24mm kits. Maybe the kits were from Custom and I was dreaming about the E's? ( :confused: :confused: )

I remembered that D20... :D

JStarStar:
Where have you been? Totally tubular HAS nearly everything you could possibly want as far as Micro-maxx building materials. .013" wall .281" (Micro-Maxx minimum dia) body tubes, .246" (6mm) telescoping tubes the work wonderfully as motor stops and couplers, fibre centering rings for .281 to .375, .281 to .448 and .281 to .544(Bt-5) tubes, add your own cardstock, wafferglass or 3/64th" ply fins and turned nose cones your all set. also some 10.5mm, or BT-5 plastic nosecones will work. Many of the 13mm (BT-5 kits can be flown on MMXII.75 motors and any of the 10.5mm kits left out there can certainly be converted. High altitude? NO but they a blast to fly in your back yard.
Telfon plumbers tape recovery, or make 1/4mil chutes. Models from 1.5g to 17.4g have been successfully flown, Best Ewt is under 10g. With the introduction of these new igniters, clustering will be even easier then before. We still don't have a true booster motor but there is a way around that also;) Micro-Maxx build it kits are coming from Quest, but you don't have to wait. I have 60 some plans in the files section of the yahoo micor maxx group for everyone to build. ASP has at least 8 "kits" right now with more planned, QCR has a few and Pratt hobbies also has some in the works.. I think Jim is looking at adding a few to the fliskits line along with his great saucers and there is always Art Applewhite's micros. I'm pretty sure we have a least 100 combined Different models already available for Anyone to build... with more coming every day.
If your looking for Micro-Maxx ideas... come visit us a
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/MicroMaxRockets/
Join up, then check the files and photos sections..you just might be amazed at all there is to build and fly with these Mighty little motors.
Keep em flyin micronized!

I wish the D20 was on the line sheet. I am wondering if it will be fabbed by AT, such as the Rocket Vision and PML motors?

I stand corrected, not to mention a complete uninformed moron.

1) Get Info First
2) Then Post.

:rolleyes:

In the interest of equal time, while visiting my local hobby shop today and picking up the new Estes X-Prize kits, I also purchased one of the new Quest Kits, the Payloader One.

Unlike the picture on the facercard, the payload section tube is tinted red. The main body tube comes already slotted for the laser cut fins. Nice.

Back