New Quest D's

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, by the way....just like the FSI motors, these would be GREAT in clusters.

Actually, they do. I bought one and a 20mm nosecone. The label will have to be peeled off to fit in the tube, and the nosecone will need a little tape on the shoulder, but it looks workable for a scratch-built high-altitude bird.

Actually they do not. They have a T-20 tube which has an outside diameter of 20mm, the D5 has an outside diameter of 20mm. You would have to peel off more than the label to get it to fit. After that its the T-25 tube which would require that you wrap tape around the D5. Trust me, I have some experience with the Quest stuff.

Last edited:
Steaming Tea Kettle, huh? This I have to hear. I just bought a dozen of these motors and I can't wait to try them out. Did the "tea kettle" sound include the whistle? :D

MarkII

A kinda whistling sound, more like a pressure relief valve venting steam than a full out tea kettle whistle.

I was glad to see it lift the Eliminator. I figured that might be a little on the large side for that motor ;)

Got my order today - guess now it's time to start designing a paper rocket design to take advantage of these motors. :p

Actually they do not. They have a T-20 tube which has an outside diameter of 20mm, the D5 has an outside diameter of 20mm. You would have to peel off more than the label to get it to fit. After that its the T-25 tube which would require that you wrap tape around the D5. Trust me, I have some experience with the Quest stuff.

Hmm. You may be right. When I started to do a test fit, my impression was that the motor would fit if the label came off, but I didn't test it all the way. Now that would be a shame, to go to the trouble of making a 20mm tube that your 20mm motor doesn't fit into.:confused2:

Hmm. You may be right. When I started to do a test fit, my impression was that the motor would fit if the label came off, but I didn't test it all the way. Now that would be a shame, to go to the trouble of making a 20mm tube that your 20mm motor doesn't fit into.:confused2:

Yeah, believe me, I know it sucks! If I was 100% sure the D5 rocket motors would have made it to market I would have had tubes made when I got the first samples last year! I think the Semroc ST-8 option is probably the best right now. Quest will have the tubes soon enough though...

Got my order today - guess now it's time to start designing a paper rocket design to take advantage of these motors. :p
Upscaled Lemon Drop? Oh, but I'd want to be sure that the trajectory took it well away from the crowd before it ejected THAT motor! :eek: :D

MarkII

Upscaled Lemon Drop? Oh, but I'd want to be sure that the trajectory took it well away from the crowd before it ejected THAT motor! :eek: :D

MarkII

Naw - I've designed a lot more rockets than just the Lemon Drop - that's just the only one I've released publicly. I was thinking of doing a paper version of one of the Centuri MiniMax designs (either the Aero Dart or Lil Hustler are neat designs) but they are both already available as kits from Semroc. So I'm thinking of an original design about 1.25" diameter and about 22 inches long with a boat tail and a dedicated 20mm motor mount with an 18mm motor adapter. Made from 110# card, such a rocket should get some decent air from the D and should still fly with a B or C. Working name of the design is the D-20 (as in 20mm D, but a play on my OTHER avocation - role playing game design). When I do it (I plan to start this week), I'll start a thread in the Cardstock section detailing how I do a paper design, and post the results so others can build it too. Should be fun!

A 20mm tube is 20mm on the outside.

A 20mm motor is 20mm on the outside.

You need a tube that is 20mm on the inside for a 20mm motor to fit into it.

The Centuri #8 tube is virtually the same as the FSI motor tube (same as CMR RB-90) and it was sized to fit the FSI 21mm outside diameter motors, so a 20mm outside diameter motor will fit inside with just a bit of masking tape. Semroc has this size tube.

Built light.

Naw - I've designed a lot more rockets than just the Lemon Drop - that's just the only one I've released publicly. I was thinking of doing a paper version of one of the Centuri MiniMax designs (either the Aero Dart or Lil Hustler are neat designs) but they are both already available as kits from Semroc. So I'm thinking of an original design about 1.25" diameter and about 22 inches long with a boat tail and a dedicated 20mm motor mount with an 18mm motor adapter. Made from 110# card, such a rocket should get some decent air from the D and should still fly with a B or C. Working name of the design is the D-20 (as in 20mm D, but a play on my OTHER avocation - role playing game design). When I do it (I plan to start this week), I'll start a thread in the Cardstock section detailing how I do a paper design, and post the results so others can build it too. Should be fun!

I keep hoping to someday maybe catch up to you in-game. You'r still playing City of Heroes, right?

My global is Ar Kain. I have 22 level 50's in Virtue with 36 total(or is that 37 :p )

I keep hoping to someday maybe catch up to you in-game. You'r still playing City of Heroes, right?

My global is Ar Kain. I have 22 level 50's in Virtue with 36 total(or is that 37 :p )

Yup - although I am giving Star Trek Online a try (Kinda have to - ST:RPG and all that! ;)). I mostly hang out on Triumph in COH. On STO I did manage to name my captain and my starship after my RPG character and ship: Capt Andrew Hollingsworth of the USS Condor (Miranda Class). :D

Sounds like the motor was made in Germany and the label was applied in China. :)

Unfortunatly not. The former German Quest motor manufacturer Weco will no longer produce D engines (even for the European market).

And usually it works vice-versa ;)

Oliver

Back