New Planet found

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the link!

I find this stuff so fascinating, that I sometimes wish I would have studies Astrophysics instead of Mining Engineering and Blasting Dynamics.....

Originally posted by Elapid
we could trash that planet TOO!

:rolleyes:

jukejoint_1795_28845265

nononononoNO!!!!

We strip-mine earth, the new super-earth, and ALL the planets and moons in the solar system!!!! :D :D ;) :p :eek:

Seriosly, though, I think we might as well try and find a way to mine asteroids, if theres anything to mine in them (how am I to know? :rolleyes: ;)), and, if theres no life on the new "super earth", we might as well mine that place with robots instead of ripping up our own planet...

Originally posted by Neil
nononononoNO!!!!

We strip-mine earth, the new super-earth, and ALL the planets and moons in the solar system!!!! :D :D ;) :p :eek:

Seriosly, though, I think we might as well try and find a way to mine asteroids, if theres anything to mine in them (how am I to know? :rolleyes: ;)), and, if theres no life on the new "super earth", we might as well mine that place with robots instead of ripping up our own planet...

Hence the conundrum.

You *have* to mine this planet in order to obtain the resources to build the spacecraft to reach the asteroids, build the robots, build the tools and equipment the robots will use to mine the asteroids, build the processing equipment and refineries to make the mined ore useable, etc. etc. ad nauseum.

As far as "ripping up our own planet" I would argue that urbanization is much more destructive than mining.

It's a shame that the mining industry is perceived as it seems to be. Try to imagine your life without all of the things made possible by mining activity. Really.

Unless you enjoy being a cave man, it wouldn't be pretty.

good points...

Ok, if the new planet has a gosyncronous orbit (is that what its called? Well, if it each "day" on that planet was 10 of our days, and the year of the planet was 10 days, which it is, so one side is always sunny and one side is always dark), you could have a band of artificial habitats just inside the dark area so it isnt too cold, and you could have mining robots mine the far-dark side, and the bright side... That would take care of some of the population, and a lot of the mining....

Maybe. :rolleyes:

Well, if it each "day" on that planet was 10 of our days, and the year of the planet was 10 days, which it is, so one side is always sunny and one side is always dark),

Venus is like that - its "day" is longer than its "year".

The daleks once tried to mine out the Earths core and replace it with an intersteller engine which would turn the Earth into a giant spaceship.Luckily DR.Who prevented them from success.:D

Originally posted by Fore Check
Thanks for the link!

I find this stuff so fascinating, that I sometimes wish I would have studies Astrophysics instead of Mining Engineering and Blasting Dynamics.....

Lets see, draglines, excavators and explosives vs. astrophysics and a pocket protector. Not that I have anything against an space scientist, but I think you might not be too bad off...

For me, it was MetEng at UT El Paso until I switched to EE (The money and job prospects seemed better) . Thinking back, I'd trade a blast furnace or rolling mill for a circuit board or wind tunnel any day.

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket
Lets see, draglines, excavators and explosives vs. astrophysics and a pocket protector. Not that I have anything against an space scientist, but I think you might not be too bad off...

Yeah, the "toys" I get to play with on a daily basis are pretty cool... :cool:

Back