Quantcast

New Planet found

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Fore Check

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2010
Messages
4,243
Reaction score
7
Thanks for the link!

I find this stuff so fascinating, that I sometimes wish I would have studies Astrophysics instead of Mining Engineering and Blasting Dynamics.....
 

Neil

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 10, 2011
Messages
2,826
Reaction score
0
nononononoNO!!!!

We strip-mine earth, the new super-earth, and ALL the planets and moons in the solar system!!!! :D :D ;) :p :eek:


Seriosly, though, I think we might as well try and find a way to mine asteroids, if theres anything to mine in them (how am I to know? :rolleyes: ;)), and, if theres no life on the new "super earth", we might as well mine that place with robots instead of ripping up our own planet...
 

Fore Check

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2010
Messages
4,243
Reaction score
7
Originally posted by Neil
nononononoNO!!!!

We strip-mine earth, the new super-earth, and ALL the planets and moons in the solar system!!!! :D :D ;) :p :eek:


Seriosly, though, I think we might as well try and find a way to mine asteroids, if theres anything to mine in them (how am I to know? :rolleyes: ;)), and, if theres no life on the new "super earth", we might as well mine that place with robots instead of ripping up our own planet...
Hence the conundrum.

You *have* to mine this planet in order to obtain the resources to build the spacecraft to reach the asteroids, build the robots, build the tools and equipment the robots will use to mine the asteroids, build the processing equipment and refineries to make the mined ore useable, etc. etc. ad nauseum.

As far as "ripping up our own planet" I would argue that urbanization is much more destructive than mining.

It's a shame that the mining industry is perceived as it seems to be. Try to imagine your life without all of the things made possible by mining activity. Really.

Unless you enjoy being a cave man, it wouldn't be pretty.
 

Neil

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 10, 2011
Messages
2,826
Reaction score
0
good points...

Ok, if the new planet has a gosyncronous orbit (is that what its called? Well, if it each "day" on that planet was 10 of our days, and the year of the planet was 10 days, which it is, so one side is always sunny and one side is always dark), you could have a band of artificial habitats just inside the dark area so it isnt too cold, and you could have mining robots mine the far-dark side, and the bright side... That would take care of some of the population, and a lot of the mining....

Maybe. :rolleyes:
 

cls

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2009
Messages
2,217
Reaction score
0
Well, if it each "day" on that planet was 10 of our days, and the year of the planet was 10 days, which it is, so one side is always sunny and one side is always dark),
Venus is like that - its "day" is longer than its "year".
 

arthur dent

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2003
Messages
915
Reaction score
0
The daleks once tried to mine out the Earths core and replace it with an intersteller engine which would turn the Earth into a giant spaceship.Luckily DR.Who prevented them from success.:D
 

Hospital_Rocket

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2003
Messages
3,990
Reaction score
1
Originally posted by Fore Check
Thanks for the link!

I find this stuff so fascinating, that I sometimes wish I would have studies Astrophysics instead of Mining Engineering and Blasting Dynamics.....
Lets see, draglines, excavators and explosives vs. astrophysics and a pocket protector. Not that I have anything against an space scientist, but I think you might not be too bad off...

For me, it was MetEng at UT El Paso until I switched to EE (The money and job prospects seemed better) . Thinking back, I'd trade a blast furnace or rolling mill for a circuit board or wind tunnel any day.
 

Fore Check

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2010
Messages
4,243
Reaction score
7
Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket
Lets see, draglines, excavators and explosives vs. astrophysics and a pocket protector. Not that I have anything against an space scientist, but I think you might not be too bad off...
Yeah, the "toys" I get to play with on a daily basis are pretty cool... :cool:
 

Latest posts

Top