New Paint!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DynaSoar

Reaction score
Always on the look out for new and better paints and finishings, I am.

I was looking for something to finish a mach buster I'm working on. I wanted a good, sleek surface, but something tough enough to handle Mach+ airflow without peeling, and a tough skin so I'm not constantly touching up dings and scratches.

I found and tried Rustoleum Specialty black Appliance Epoxy. This stuff is the bee's knees!

The glossy finish is glossier than their regular gloss paint. It fills in spirals and dents better than their satin finish, which I usually use as a coat betwen primer and finish.

It says it is, and is, resistant to scratches. I banged the point of the PML conical urethane nose against the rough plaster cieling -- not a scratch to the finish, even though it took out a piece of plaster.

The surface is so shiny it looks wet, even oily: there's a rainbow effect where the light reflects off the fins. But it doesn't accumulate finger prints like regular glossy. It goes on thick without tending to run, much the same as satin finish.

It seems to weigh more than most paints. I used two coats (each of them the "two light coats a few minutes apart") and it added 3/4 of an ounce to a 3 foot long minimum diameter body, conical nose and 3 mid-to-large surface fins.

The finish has a resilient feel to it, like rubber coating. And it says it's waterproof, or at least water washable. There seem to be no need of a clear coat over it. In fact, that might defeat the purpose.

I only saw white and black. I doubt they make many colors. More's the pity -- this stuff is a great finish. $3.77 for a 12 ounce can at Lowe's (your milage may vary).

good tip, thanks! i'll keep that in mind should i want to paint my fridge, too!

...so i was just out ainting about 5 minutes ago. as a general rule i always paint lighter to darker so the dark doesn't bleed through. well i wasn't pleased with this one rocket i had painted orange. it was a krylon burnt orange. i masked off a mid section to leave alone and then painted the whole thing regular krylon gloss white. WOW! it turned the most beautiful vintage looking off white. it has this very suttle green tint to it. it is suttle, more a shade of white than green, but very visible. guess i'll have to start playing with shooting lights over darks...

Originally posted by DynaSoar
Always on the look out for new and better paints and finishings, I am.

i was wondering where you went...
;)

i'll be picking up a can of that paint for testing purposes today, thanks for the heads-up!

Neat! Exactly what I was looking for! I'll be buying some tomorrow.
Thanks.

annother excellent paint is Duplicolor engine enamel with ceramic
it leaves a super high gloss finish and obviously high temp resistant. it's by far the best gloss I've seen from a can

It'd be cool with a bronze or copper. Problem is silvers for some reason always show dribbles and stuff. They are very hard to get right.

Originally posted by stymye
annother excellent paint is Duplicolor engine enamel with ceramic
it leaves a super high gloss finish and obviously high temp resistant. it's by far the best gloss I've seen from a can

yes, those high temp paint work awesome! i just sprayed some on my scratch pad. i aslo use them all the time on my rockets. word is though, not much in the way of UV protection. being under a hood normaly, stuff fades fast in the sun....

here is a pictutre of the pad from another thread:
attachment.php

Just got some! Tested it on a small nose cone I had and it turned out pretty good, but it could have been better if there wasn't any primer on the main portion. You could tell there was certainly a smooth and shiny gloss on the shoulder of the nose where there wasn't any primer! The instructions don't recommend primer.

Thanks!

Back