New old guy in SoCal

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawn dart

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

New guy, here. Well, new to this forum anyway. Been a guy my whole life.

Not new to rocketry, though. Got into it many moons ago. But I haven't been active in quite a while. To be honest, I'm not looking to get active again. Maybe I'll do a launch occasionally. But I have way too many hobbies and way too much stuff as it is.

The too much stuff part is actually the reason I signed up. Perhaps some of the bits and pieces from my time in the hobby would be of interest to somebody and I could pass them along. And who knows? Maybe I'll even be able to add something useful to a discussion or two.

Or twenty, since the rules say that to post a Yard Sale thread I need to be a member for 14 days and have twenty posts.

Anyway, thanks for having me.

Welcome to the forum. I used to live in Yorba Linda (Orange County) with my parents when I was going to school. I couldn't afford to live there, so now I'm in AZ

Welcome. Where in OC? What do you have - maybe I can do a local pick up depending on what you have to offer. PM me, thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Where in OC?
I'm in pugachu's old neighborhood. I'll bet we've passed each other in Costco without knowing it.

As for the stuff I have to offer, out of respect for the mods I'll play by the rules and wait my turn.

But I can tell you the price, now: free-to-a-good-home

New guy, here. Well, new to this forum anyway. Been a guy my whole life.
Oh, looks like you'll fit right in.

Not new to rocketry, though. Got into it many moons ago. But I haven't been active in quite a while. To be honest, I'm not looking to get active again.
We'll try not to hold it against you.
I have way too many hobbies and way too much stuff as it is... And who knows? Maybe I'll even be able to add something useful to a discussion or two.
Well, if your rocketry limit is imposed by the time spent on other hobbies, tell us what those other hobbies are. There may be some interesting synergies.

Well, if your rocketry limit is imposed by the time spent on other hobbies, tell us what those other hobbies are. There may be some interesting synergies.

First off, I have a boatload of home improvement/maintenance projects around the house and yard, fences to rebuild, planters to reconfigure. That's actually how I got triggered back into rocketry, I was organizing my garage and finally decided I need to deal with rocket stuff.

Cycling has been a big part of my life forever, road and mountain. My wife and I guide mountain bike tours on the local nature preserve. And we do a lot of hiking. I have two mountain bikes to build up for her, my old hardtail to get back in running order and I really need to install a new drivetrain on my road bike.

I'm trying to do more woodworking/furniture making.

I wouldn't say I'm nearly as deep into audio as I once was, but I have a few A/V projects to knock out. And with the resurgence of vinyl I feel an urge to bring my turntable back online. It's been down since I traded out a 27" CRT TV for a 43" flat panel and I had to clear off my entertainment console to make room. Now that TV's are even bigger there's even less space and I'm building and extension to the console for the turntable.

I have a classic car I need to work on and get back on the road. Plus, I have buddies trying to lure me back into motorcycles.

I've been cooking a lot more lately. Most of my hobbies involve tools/technology. So of course I need more knives and pans. (mainly knives)

There's other stuff, too. Those are a few highlights.

First off, I have a boatload of home improvement/maintenance projects around the house and yard, fences to rebuild, planters to reconfigure. That's actually how I got triggered back into rocketry, I was organizing my garage and finally decided I need to deal with rocket stuff.

Cycling has been a big part of my life forever, road and mountain. My wife and I guide mountain bike tours on the local nature preserve. And we do a lot of hiking. I have two mountain bikes to build up for her, my old hardtail to get back in running order and I really need to install a new drivetrain on my road bike.

I'm trying to do more woodworking/furniture making.

I wouldn't say I'm nearly as deep into audio as I once was, but I have a few A/V projects to knock out. And with the resurgence of vinyl I feel an urge to bring my turntable back online. It's been down since I traded out a 27" CRT TV for a 43" flat panel and I had to clear off my entertainment console to make room. Now that TV's are even bigger there's even less space and I'm building and extension to the console for the turntable.

I have a classic car I need to work on and get back on the road. Plus, I have buddies trying to lure me back into motorcycles.

I've been cooking a lot more lately. Most of my hobbies involve tools/technology. So of course I need more knives and pans. (mainly knives)

There's other stuff, too. Those are a few highlights.
Huntington Beach here. Same basic stuff. Several old cars, 4 teenagers, house stuff, telescope, HO trains and now rockets after 40 yrs. Starting with repairing the surviving rockets.

.... HO trains ......
Don't get get me started on trains!

I mean that literally. Please don't let me get started on trains. It's a rabbit hole I might never be able to claw my way out of.

My FIL was a train maniac. A bedroom for HO and N, an attic full of O and a yard covered in G. Since his passing it's all been collecting dust, except for the G layout, which is growing a jungle. Pretty sure my MIL would happily give it all to us if we asked. I don't even have room for the N stuff.

My wife thinks it would make her mom happy to see some of it in action again in our yard. I've built a "small" platform, about a 10'x20' oval. Still need to lay down the G track and wire it up.

I have a classic car I need to work on and get back on the road.
What speakers and turntable?
What car?

What speakers and turntable?
What car?
Not my stuff shown below, pix snarfed from the internet that look almost identical to mine:

Speakers are Celestion UL-6, the somewhat more modest predecessor to the highly regarded SL-6. Been thinking about possibly building replacements for years, or perhaps a subwoofer to go with them.
$_86.JPG

item-photos-2019-4-18-076.jpg

Turntable is a JVC QL-50, a solid, basic Japanese DD, quartz-locked, manual deck. I actually got it as a "temporary" fill-in because I got a killer deal on an SME tonearm and I couldn't afford a Linn or something. (I was a starving student. Mostly starving because I was spending my meager earnings on records and audio gear instead of food.) Temporary, right. Forty+ years later it's still running strong. Before that I had a QL-5, the same table with a factory tonearm. My brother's kids are using it these days (he used it for years before he got married and had kids). It's nice never having to worry about belts stretching, slipping/hardening or wearing out.
img_7658a-jpg.1589153

The car is a 1974 Jensen Healey.
1974_jensen-healey_mark_2_roadster_15943008031b1c348Photo-Jul-01-10-29-02-AM.jpg

Speakers are Celestion UL-6, the somewhat more modest predecessor to the highly regarded SL-6. Been thinking about possibly building replacements for years, or perhaps a subwoofer to go with them.
Build a subwoofer, use one of these drivers. Audiophile quality bass, small box requirements, my sons company:
www.stereointegrity.com

Back