New nose cone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manwithbeers

Reaction score
I have this tube I wanted to try to use to build a rocket. Actually I have a limitless suppy of them. The tube is 86mm OD and 76mm ID. Might make a good heavy 75mm motor tube but to play with it I made a simple 3 fin rocket that I designed with VCP.

I made another foam core nose cone for it. Usually when making a foam cone I fiberglass it with West Systems and standard E-cloth cut in three or four pieces for a good fit along the length of the cone.
I had this cloth tape I bought on a whim a while ago and never found a use for it. It's 2 inches wide, maybe 6oz thickness... anyway I hoed to use it for fin attachment/reinforcement and never used it so I decided to try it on the foam cone.

I wound it around as I applied epoxy with a short bristle brush. It was really easy and way cleaner than the previous method. I used a 1/4 inch overlap all the way to the tip which had two strips of the cloth tape overlaped over the tip and then the tape was wound over that. I like this appraoch and I'll do it again.

After the initial fiberglass layer I cleaned it up a bit and then used a large putty knife to put on a layer of epoxy with light filler (red stuff) to fill in the uneven valleys. when that was hard I sanded on a belt sander then coated with 2 coats of epoxy. (Wash and sand between coats). The photo shows the cone at this stage. I normally paint now with primer but my wife thinks this tye-dye look is cool and suggests I keep it this way. I'm undecided.

As shown in the picture you can make out the line that the tape was wound with filler between the overlap area. I made the cone via a hot wire cutter from a 1.7 upscale of a BT55 balsa cone I had in my scratch parts kit.

Just though I might share. It was an easy project. Took maybe 5 hours of work over the past 10 days from idea to finished... kinda. :)

The above nose cone on the rocket I made to use the sample tube. About 46 inches tall.

MWB, even your rocket looks good! I'll bet you get considerable satisfaction out of crafting the whole thing.

So this NC job required five hours over ten days? I would almost be willing to kill somebody in order to get five hours to myself around my house!

Originally posted by powderburner

So this NC job required five hours over ten days? I would almost be willing to kill somebody in order to get five hours to myself around my house!
I know what you mean! I can't really believe I did it myself. Realistically each step in the process was about 15 minutes which took place just before I left for work or something like that. The longest step was building the jig for foam cutting and then sanding the foam. Early Sunday mornings around here are the time I get to do stuff because everyone else thinks its a holliday or something. :)

Originally posted by powderburner
MWB, even your rocket looks good! I'll bet you get considerable satisfaction out of crafting the whole thing.

My wife and I are coming up on 30 years of marriage (wow, I am OLD!). You'd think she knows me by now -- she bought me a color TV for shop for Valentines Day. I'm not sure what she was thinking -- I can live in the shop, and not miss anything on Fox News! (BTW -- the TV was $39 at Long's Drug, I guess on clearance.Great picture, cable ready, remote. Not sure it will last, though ...)

Maybe she does know what she is doing! Hmmm ...

Back