New MPR flyer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverfish

Reaction score
Me again :D

Up 'till now, the largest motor that I have used is a 24mm Micro hybrid (unless you count a cluster of 4 C's as higher). I would like to build some mid-power rockets, but am not sure which to go for...

One rocket that I have always had my eye on is the QModeling Bullpup, which is a 24mm rocket. To fly this, I would buy a 24mm Rouse Tech case, and probably fly it with F24 fuel grains (I would like to try an E size BP motor, but they are unavailable in the UK).

My other option would be to buy a 29mm rocket, such as the Madcow Phoenix, and then buy a 29mm motor case and reloads.

Unfortunately I cannot afford both motor cases, and so was wondering if I would quickly find limitations with a 24mm, and so should just buy a 29mm straight away, or whether the 24 will power most of the rockets that I would want (by way of a motor mount adapter).

Silverfish

hard to advise really,

if you go for the 24mm case then you can at least put some real kick into the 24mm rockets that you have at the moment, and the reloads are cheaper.

but 29mm gives you a range of bigger, faster, better rockets, and as you are buying rouse tech, you can later buy the longer 29mm tubes (180 and 240)that can carry H123 and H180 reloads for a level 1 cert flight:) and use the forward and rear closures from your 29/120.
you could even look towards getting a rocket that could get you to level one, but still flys nicely on F and G reloads in the 29/120 case.

have you considered congreve rocket motor system? compare the prices to aerotech.
https://www.rocketmotors.co.uk/

How about buying a 24mm case, which will fly most 29mm rockets by using a motor mount adapter and up to an F reload, and then later buying a 38mm case and H and above reloads for a future Level 1 flight attempt (I am not sure exactly what you have to do to get a Level 1 cert, can you even use a 38mm rocket?)

Does this sound like a good, or terrible idea?

How about buying a 24mm case, which will fly most 29mm rockets by using a motor mount adapter and up to an F reload, and then later buying a 38mm case and H and above reloads for a future Level 1 flight attempt (I am not sure exactly what you have to do to get a Level 1 cert, can you even use a 38mm rocket?)

Does this sound like a good, or terrible idea?

that sounds okay, I cert 1 on a phobos which takes a 38mm motor, but i also have the 38/29 adapter for 29mm reloads.
all you have to do for cert 1 is to put together a reloadable rocket motor, put it in a rocket and fly the rocket!, making sure nothing goes wrong! Hardest part is finding someone to watch and then fill in the paperwork. (most club launches will have several guys that are more than willing to do this.) Go to the UKRA site for full details.

My recommendation is to always go with the largest MMT available. That will give you the most options now and in the future.

One thing you do want to watch out for on the MPR kits is that they seem to come in two flavors. Small light 24mm and heavy 29mm. Finding kits that come in 29mm and are still light enough to fly well on 24mm takes a little searching.

If you are looking for a 29mm rocket you want to fly well on 24mm motors, then stick with something about 10 - 14 oz. like the Aerotech Mustang, Initiator, and Arreaux. These will fly great on 24mm composites. They will really get up there on the larger 29mm motors.

Good Luck

Did I ever mention I flew my AT Mustang on an Estes E9?:rolleyes:

Yeah, it actually DID fly! To maybe 100 feet..:roll: Guys at the launch thought I was certifiable, now I is!

Sorry for the off-topic pull..What Handeman said about the AT kits is spot on..They are good MPR fliers and nice learning rockets to build..

Yes, you'll be able to launch your current 24mm rockets farther than you imagined. We have both 24mm RMS & 29/40-120 RMS cases..

You won't be disappointed with either choice. I will caution you tho. When you put one of your little lightweight 24mm kits outta the sky, & you lose it...you'll kick yourself for losing the motor case, not the rocket.

Yes, you'll be able to launch your current 24mm rockets farther than you imagined. We have both 24mm RMS & 29/40-120 RMS cases..

You won't be disappointed with either choice. I will caution you tho. When you put one of your little lightweight 24mm kits outta the sky, & you lose it...you'll kick yourself for losing the motor case, not the rocket.

How right you are! So far I haven't lost a case in a rocket. I always keep a supply of D12 and E9 motors on hand and use those when the conditions aren't quite right for the bigger motors.

So far I've been able to fly and recover my Estes Stormcaster and Patriot after flying them on F reloads. You just have to pick your shots.

Back