New Motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Reaction score
Anyone notice Aerotechs new Motors? :D

G79W RMS 29/40-120 (is it the 40-120 case? Oe did they create a new 29/120 case?)
G61W RMS 38/120 (we knew about this one ;-)
I600R RMS 38/720

Gotta get my hands on some of those G69's :D

I sure did. I think the 29/120 loads would work great in any AT kits especially the G-Force. I will most likely be getting that case.

The only rocket I have that has a 38mm and is light enough to fly on the G61W would be my PML Small Endeavour but if Aerotech releases Redline and Blue Thunder loads for this case, I may get it.

As for the I600R, I'd love to get my hands on one of them and put it in my stock built Binder Stealth and pray that the fins stay on.:rolleyes:

even better

38/220 Hardware;
PVC H124 272Ns
PP H155 340Ns

38/400 Hardware;
PVC I119 416Ns
PP I146 519Ns

38/580 Hardware;
PVC I117 560Ns
PP J144 700Ns

$12-$14 each for at least a H motor, and even a J, for $14 bucks...that is cheaper than any of those motors.

Your second guess was right, it requires a new casing... They made a point to say the 40-120 case would not work... Oh well... Just one more piece of stuff to get.:) Also, Aerotech doesn't make a 640 case. There's a 600 and a 720, and the I600 goes in the 720 case, same as the J350. Makes me want a 720 case since there's more then one motor for the case now... Either way, they all look great!

Justin

As I said in the LDRS thread, another reason to get a Tethys. Darn.

:D

But the G79 and G61 should be AWESOME!

Any info on case length for the 29/120?

I got my hands on an I600R for LDRS. It's going to fly in my fiberglassed Minie Magg there, I will tell you how it does!

I think it's safe to say "NO". That was the whole point of creating this load in the first place. The BATFE got all up in arms about Aerotech circumventing the 62.5g rule by making all the grains 62.5 or less so they started claiming that the grains had to be used to make a fully assembled motor that was 62.5g or less. Aerotech never had a 38mm 1 grain motor so it always looked suspicious that you couldn't assemble a motor using loose 62.5g grains into a fully assembled motor that was 62.5g or less. With the new 38/120, now you can.

Originally posted by Justin Horne
Your second guess was right, it requires a new casing... They made a point to say the 40-120 case would not work... Oh well... Just one more piece of stuff to get.:) Also, Aerotech doesn't make a 640 case. There's a 600 and a 720, and the I600 goes in the 720 case, same as the J350. Makes me want a 720 case since there's more then one motor for the case now... Either way, they all look great!

Justin

Your right Justin. That was a typo. I knew it used a 720 case... but I was thinking as I wrote it that the I600 had a TI of 640... so I wrote what I thought ;).

The 720 case has had two loads for a while... The J350 (J444ish), and the J420 Redline. Now they Have an I600 Redline. Cool!. I think that motor will looks sweet in the Megablast :D

I will defiently shell out some doe for the new 29mm case. I hope they concider makeing BJ, BT, and Red loads for it too :D.

The motor I'm looking forward to is the new Ellis Mountain L330, which was just certified.
Single-use 54mm, 8.5 second burn, 11% L -- sweet!!!

Originally posted by n3tjm
Anyone notice Aerotechs new Motors? :D

G61W RMS 38/120 (we knew about this one ;-)

I'm not quite sure what the excitement about this motor/case is. Does this just make people happy because they no longer have to use a 38/29 adapter in some of their smaller rockets that have a 38mm MMT? (I'm not trying to be a buzzkill here. Just trying to understand what the justification for buying this motor is.) I suppose if other propellent formulations start coming out then I'll understand.

Looks like if you have a motor block in a rocket set for the 4.88" long 29/40-120 casing it will be too short, as the 29/120 casing is 5.9" long. The other specs about the new motors are on AeroTech's homepage (just scroll down a little).

Well, looks like I'll have to glue up my G-Force motor tube and sand out that motor block... I should leave thrust rings out and give them away at launches.

Looks like a great reason to build 38mm mounts for my Crayon and convertible saucers. I hope cases/loads will be generally available for this season, though I see they will have "limited quantities" for LDRS.
I have been considering a Pro38 1 grain case for a while, but I might as well go with what I know.

I personally want the G79s as a replacement for the G80s whose prices are going nuts. I wonder if this release is to keep people like me pacified.

The 38mm G is not too interesting for me....BUT...if they come out with loads that approach an avg thrust of 120NS I'll be buying a case.

Originally posted by rstaff3
I personally want the G79s as a replacement for the G80s whose prices are going nuts. I wonder if this release is to keep people like me pacified.

The 38mm G is not too interesting for me....BUT...if they come out with loads that approach an avg thrust of 120NS I'll be buying a case.

True. The big "if" here is whether or not the pricing is substantially lower than the G80. Besides, it'll be a WL load which will be cool. The local Hobbytown has G80s at $18.95 each. Ouch. For some reason, I don't see the G79 costing less than $14.95 in a 38mm casing. :( G64s are slowly creeping up to about $11.95 as is.

Originally posted by eugenefl
True. The big "if" here is whether or not the pricing is substantially lower than the G80. Besides, it'll be a WL load which will be cool. The local Hobbytown has G80s at $18.95 each. Ouch. For some reason, I don't see the G79 costing less than $14.95 in a 38mm casing. :( G64s are slowly creeping up to about $11.95 as is.

The G79 is a 29mm motor and should be closer to a RMS G64 than a G80. Even the small 29mm H's are in the $12-13 range. IIRC the increases in the phenolic tubing are one of the factors in the increase in SU pricing. Boy I miss ~ $10 G80FWLs :(

Both the G61 and G79 are listed for $11.95 MSRP on AT's website. So they won't break your budget. :)

The I600 lists for $45.95

yea RStaff, the G80FWL from Magnum were great...$10 a pop for an amazing motor...

Although, for $13 or so, you can fly the 29-180's (G75J, H128W, H165R and H238T), and they have a pretty good kick. Of course they require a certification, but they are still a good price for the power.

BTW: I plan to fly my I600R on Saturday. I won't be able to post pics from our friends house, but I will report how it performed...I just hope that they have certed delays...

I most like should have bit the bullet and bought some 29mm HPR casings, but with today's environment, I'll stick to 38mm for high power. The new 29mm are hobby-line and the grains will not be usable in high power cases.

I will alos wait and see what gives with Loki in the 29mm arena.

I want a couple of I600's also!

Originally posted by eugenefl
I'm not quite sure what the excitement about this motor/case is. Does this just make people happy because they no longer have to use a 38/29 adapter in some of their smaller rockets that have a 38mm MMT? (I'm not trying to be a buzzkill here. Just trying to understand what the justification for buying this motor is.) I suppose if other propellent formulations start coming out then I'll understand.

I'd like this motor because 38mm motors tend to have a longer burn time and it's not so "on-off." With 29mm motors, they kinda just pop on and off. The 38mm will have a "fuller" burn (if that makes any sense at all:rolleyes: )

Originally posted by Rocketman248
I'd like this motor because 38mm motors tend to have a longer burn time and it's not so "on-off." With 29mm motors, they kinda just pop on and off. The 38mm will have a "fuller" burn

What he said. The 38mms have a bigger web thickness, so they get a longer burn time and won't seem like "just a wimpy G". They also will have a bigger nozzle throat (probably) so the flame 'n smoke might be a little more. Not that the flame and smoke part of it is part of what I'm doing this for... :p

yeah come on Davey, its all about the power man!!!! I mean why does anyone need sparks ;) ;)

Originally posted by n3tjm
The 720 case has had two loads for a while... The J350 (J444ish), and the J420 Redline. Now they Have an I600 Redline.

Since there's another Redline for this case, and it's a J, I assume that the grains must have very large cores to lighten them up and lessen the total impulse. That probably explains the higher average thrust that gives it that awesome punch.

I guess that, and this was probably reposted somewhere else in this thread already, but that the main deciding factor for me to buy the 29/120 and the 38/120 cases is if there are DEFINATE plans for more propellants for these cases - I don't want to shell out $50+ for a case then have only one load to fly in it...what's the point in that, I say...

I want Redline! I want Redline! I want Redline! I want Redline! I want Redline! I want Redline! And a bit of Blackjack! I want Redline! I want Redline! I want Redline! And some Blue Thunder (a flame would be nice!)

Thanks to Joe and AT!

Jason

Oh yeah!!!

Redlines kick a$$. By far my favorite propellant. I may be flying an I285R in my Binder Stealth at this months launch.:D

An all black rocket riding on a two foot trail of red fire up to about 2,500 feet, what could possibly be better than that!!!:D :D :D other than a successful recovery of course;)

Back