New Motors Certified, Oct 16, 2021

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quite frankly I don’t recall anyone else asking for more 75/2560 loads, at least not recently.
The L1940X for the 75/3840 case will be released soon and you should like that. Same Isp as the Shuttle boosters, and lots of weightlifting ability. That motor was requested to serve a specific market (college rocket teams).

I have been asking for 75mm 2 and 3 grain Fast Black loads for several years now .
I would also love to see X in a 2 grain motor .

Maybe the Mods could copy / paste this to the Aerotech main thread?

Quite frankly I don’t recall anyone else asking for more 75/2560 loads, at least not recently.

It can be a chicken/egg issue too. I had no idea how bad I needed that case until I saw a K560 in person.

I have to imagine sparkie 2560 and 3840 loads being a hit. But for now I am left with cesaroni K735s and L820s to thrill the crowd, and left scratching my head over why I can get both L900 and L1040 in the same case when I bump it up a notch (at least M1500 and L2200 differ significantly, but even there I would think going up or down a size or two would make a more effective lineup, technical issues notwithstanding).

I have been asking for 75mm 2 and 3 grain Fast Black loads for several years now .
I would also love to see X in a 2 grain motor .

Maybe the Mods could copy / paste this to the Aerotech main thread?
How many would you buy? Karl tells me we sold ONE large Black Max load this year. ;-)

I am wondering does the new J615ST-20A RMS (for aerospike nozzle) come with the Aerospike nozzle? (I already have the aerospike nozzle.) Also, could some one buy this reload with the comparable conventional convergent/divergent nozzle? I want to thank AeroTech for making this reload commercially available.

Last edited:
How many would you buy? Karl tells me we sold ONE large Black Max load this year. ;-)

I would buy at least 2 of each . In 2019 I purchased a 4 grainer and split it into two 2 grain motors. I like your idea of doing a limited run per year . No other manufacturer offers a black smoke motor in the 75mm 2 / 3 grain range.

I would buy at least 2 of each . In 2019 I purchased a 4 grainer and split it into two 2 grain motors. I like your idea of doing a limited run per year . No other manufacturer offers a black smoke motor in the 75mm 2 / 3 grain range.
Reminds me a bit of how ammunition manufacturers do obsolete/less popular calibers, every so often they do a run of that brass, for example 225 Winchester is one iirc.

2 grain Propellant X I would buy (and a case). I already have a 3840 case and there are a lot of loads for it. I also make Rx motors for Aerotech hardware. Have inerts for 13, 18, 29, 38, 54, 75, and 98.

2 grain Propellant X I would buy (and a case). I already have a 3840 case and there are a lot of loads for it. I also make Rx motors for Aerotech hardware. Have inerts for 13, 18, 29, 38, 54, 75, and 98.

DITTO!

I am wondering does the new J615ST-20A RMS (for aerospike nozzle) come with the Aerospike nozzle? (I already have the aerospike nozzle.) Also, could some one buy this reload with the comparable conventional convergent/divergent nozzle? I want to thank AeroTech for making this reload commercially available.
Yes, it comes with an Aerospike nozzle. It is not certified with any other nozzle.

Maybe we should publish drawings for all these boutique reloads and sell the grains and parts on the RCS store? You can then fly them at research launches.

The only reason for the aerospike nozzles in hobby motors is the :cool: factor :) There is no performance reason for them. Aerospike nozzles are a performance advantage in long burn motors where the external pressure changes a lot during the burn.

The only reason for the aerospike nozzles in hobby motors is the :cool: factor :) There is no performance reason for them. Aerospike nozzles are a performance advantage in long burn motors where the external pressure changes a lot during the burn.
Or as the upper stage in a high altitude flight? I understand that most of our motors are optimized for low altitude.

I was at the tests, I didn't witness any wow factor. Nice blue motor. Still confused on the attraction. I hope they sell well.

One thing to consider is that theoretically an aerospike motor launched at sea level would behave the same as one launched at our launch site in Montana which is at 5,660 feet or Colorado’s site which is even higher. For a standard nozzle that difference could be substantial. And, yes, as a sustainer on a two or three stage altitude seeker at Black Rock the concept of optimum nozzle performance might someday make a difference.

I was at the tests, I didn't witness any wow factor. Nice blue motor. Still confused on the attraction. I hope they sell well.
For me the “wow” lies in the fact that Aerotech made a commercial product out of a nozzle that has previously only been the subject of articles in the old HPR Magazine. By definition you would never see the advantage of an aerospike on a test stand anyway.

Long burn boosters are the best use for Aerospikes - you want to use them for the flight segment that will experience the greatest pressure differential.
So GROUND level up is the greatest gradient.

OR .... use them where you can't practically expand a regular nozzle to ambient which is higher in the atmosphere.

So they have a place beyond just being cool.

I'd be good for at least one 75-5120 FastJack a year. The idea of selling the parts for use as EX loads would be workable as long as the individual parts don't cost more than the kitted and certified motor. I would ask that somewhere the recommended nozzle, liner, etc be published.

I'd be good for at least one 75-5120 FastJack a year. The idea of selling the parts for use as EX loads would be workable as long as the individual parts don't cost more than the kitted and certified motor. I would ask that somewhere the recommended nozzle, liner, etc be published.
Ironically I think that is the only size available

Back