new motor data resource available

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Whitmore

Reaction score
I want to announce the posting of a project that TMT has been working on for almost 8 months. The motivation was to produce a complete list of all commercial high-power rocket motors, both in production and out of production. There are several current sources of this information, but none are complete, and the motor performance data in these resources do not always agree.

We thought that it would be valuable to gather, collate and post all the information to give rocket flyers the opportunity to evaluate the sources, and, perhaps, contribute more data to expand and edit this file. The EXCEL file is posted on the Tripoli Rocketry Association website www.tripoli.org under the “committees” tab. Click on the “Motor Testing Committee” tab and look for ‘Section 8.3 List of Lists’ option. Anybody, TRA member or not, may download this file and sort it and play with it in any way that you like. Changes to the posted version can only be made by TMT.

A full description “The Section 8.3 Project” can be found under that tab. Check it out!

Alan Whitmore

Chair, TMT

How far back are you looking to go?

Attachments

• 60121DFA-867E-46AA-A969-5A30979F3294.jpeg
    60121DFA-867E-46AA-A969-5A30979F3294.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 30
  • DB377A5E-0E2D-406B-A0EB-D5DADFC0CB9F.jpeg
    DB377A5E-0E2D-406B-A0EB-D5DADFC0CB9F.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 30
  • B0289800-14E1-4E83-9E27-0E9A43FB37EA.jpeg
    B0289800-14E1-4E83-9E27-0E9A43FB37EA.jpeg
    325.1 KB · Views: 29
Unless I'm missing something, this spreadsheet doesn't have thrust curve data, just parameters like total impulse. In the event of a mismatch with available thrust curve data, I'm not sure how one is supposed to reconcile the difference.

We already see this on thrustcurve in the differences (usually small) between "certified" and "this file". Most (all?) simulators just use the thrust curve data, and the "certified" values are for reference only.

How far back are you looking to go?
For practical data useful for the current flyers, not that far. For my own personal historic interest, YES! This fascinates me. How many pages are we talking about here? In what form are you willing to share it?

Alan

Unless I'm missing something, this spreadsheet doesn't have thrust curve data, just parameters like total impulse. In the event of a mismatch with available thrust curve data, I'm not sure how one is supposed to reconcile the difference.

We already see this on thrustcurve in the differences (usually small) between "certified" and "this file". Most (all?) simulators just use the thrust curve data, and the "certified" values are for reference only.
You are correct. Www.thrustcurve.org remains your best resource for thrust curves in numerical form for entering into altitude prediction software. A

The 1995 LDRS presentation version is about 26 pages, not every motor listed has a thrust curve. The 1996 version is about 45 pages. I can scan the 1996 sometime if you want. Also, who wouldn’t want to simulate a flight on a Dragon’s Breath M1670?:) Maybe in exchanege you can ask NAR to release the last 25 years of recertification testing data? I have tried.

Last edited:
In the 96 version, the tabes and thrust curves are 45 pages, the rest of the pages are text about TMT.

Back