New Mercury capsule kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If that capsule is two feet long (by itself), it's going to take more than a B motor to launch it!

WOW!!!:eek:

That sucker will fit on a 5.83" tube (Redstone rocket being exactly 70" in diameter)

Man, there are going to be some really cool HPR scale models coming out of that!

A really cool cluster Little Joe I;) !

I'm pumped!

Originally posted by sandman
WOW!!!:eek:

That sucker will fit on a 5.83" tube (Redstone rocket being exactly 70" in diameter)

How about a 1/12 Mercury Atlas?:D :D :D

It was originally done by a one-person outfit called Captain Cardboard, and he worked out a deal with MRC Academy. It looks fantastic. But, isn't there a resin 1/12 Mercury capsule designed for flying also coming out? Let me do a little searching.
Drew Tomko

the mrc appears to be quite nice and very detailed including highly detailed boost packs, interior , figure

(their are more than 4 pieces), why would it be considered inferior?

Has anyone actually completed a 1/12th Mercury, using this capsule? There seemed to be a lot of excitement back in '04 on this topic, but I can't find any thread where someone actually completed it.

The Capsule is available at Hobby Lobby for $64. It is currently 1/3 off. I was waiting for a 50% off models.

Mark

this model has been out for a few years. There was one at my local hobby shop last fall for the price of $18.00. I didn't have that much money that day and when I came back it was gone. :mad:

oh well,

Paul

Originally posted by paul graf
this model has been out for a few years. There was one at my local hobby shop last fall for the price of $18.00. I didn't have that much money that day and when I came back it was gone. :mad:

oh well,

Paul

$18! Wow... That WAS a great deal!!! No wonder it was not there when ya got back!:(

I picked up one half-off at HobLob last winter, still haven't had time to build it yet but am looking forward to it. Rumor is that if sales are good enough for this one, that they're going to put out a 1/12 scale Gemini also.

Wow- a 1/12 Gemini capsule would be great - but a 1/12 Apollo capsule... now THAT would be incredible!

So I take it, that's a "no" - noone's built one yet, using this capsule . . .?

I used the decals from that kit to build this one last year, but would love to build one with this capsule, it would be great..
The best price I can find is around $59 plus shipping.

sorry heres a pic for my previous post!!! UPS destroyed this when I shipped it out!!:mad:

Got one for X mass and finished it soon after, looks good, I used extra glue with the thought of sending it up someday, Got involved in other projects, for now it's on display. Easy build with alternate windiw configurations depending on what mission you want to model.
mercuryjoe5hq.jpg

Built this one using a GI joe capsule

Brent, Sheri, and Mccr,

You guys have some pretty great Mercury projects there! I'm completely impressed!

Brent - you mentioned that you used 6' PML tubing. Was the diameter correct for the capsule to fit, or did you have to modify anything to make it work?

Originally posted by akpilot
Brent, Sheri, and Mccr,

You guys have some pretty great Mercury projects there! I'm completely impressed!

Brent - you mentioned that you used 6' PML tubing. Was the diameter correct for the capsule to fit, or did you have to modify anything to make it work?

In looking over the PML website, it appears that the 6" coupler stock would be just about perfect for a 1/12 Redstone. At 1/12 scale a Redstone body tube should be 5.83", and the PML coupler stock is 5.86". There's only about a dozen folks in the world who would quibble with figures that close...

Just as an FYI, you guys may want to take a look at the 1/12 Little Joe I built several years ago using the Pursley Mercury capsule. The correct tube size for a LJ in this scale is 6.67", so I rolled the tube out of 1/64" plywood. See:

https://homepage.mac.com/jduffy/PhotoAlbum3.html

If I were to do this project over again, I'd use the Pursley capsule combined with the escape tower from the MRC kit. The Pursley Mercury capsule accurately represents the overlapping shingles on the capsule skin, something that the MRC kit fails to do.

James

Originally posted by jduffy
In looking over the PML website, it appears that the 6" coupler stock would be just about perfect for a 1/12 Redstone. At 1/12 scale a Redstone body tube should be 5.83", and the PML coupler stock is 5.86". There's only about a dozen folks in the world who would quibble with figures that close...

Just as an FYI, you guys may want to take a look at the 1/12 Little Joe I built several years ago using the Pursley Mercury capsule. The correct tube size for a LJ in this scale is 6.67", so I rolled the tube out of 1/64" plywood. See:

https://homepage.mac.com/jduffy/PhotoAlbum3.html

If I were to do this project over again, I'd use the Pursley capsule combined with the escape tower from the MRC kit. The Pursley Mercury capsule accurately represents the overlapping shingles on the capsule skin, something that the MRC kit fails to do.

James

Do you have any links for the Pursley Capsule?

Originally posted by sheri
Do you have any links for the Pursley Capsule?

John's website may be found at:

https://accur8.com/

I don't believe that he's doing the Mercury capsule kits anymore, but the website is still quite fascinating...

James

Originally posted by aerospike
This is probably the kit originally done by Atomic City Models.

That is correct: MRC distributes the Atomic City kit...

Originally posted by jduffy
John's website may be found at:

https://accur8.com/

I don't believe that he's doing the Mercury capsule kits anymore, but the website is still quite fascinating...

James

Partly correct; Pursley has been somewhat "torn" between
continuing with the present capsule (made as is over the past
few years) and redoing it so that the conical shaped skin would
be molded conical (rather than a flat skin, as the way it's been
done). Then the idea of making a resin cast of the 1/72 scale
Apollo Little Joe kits hit him several months ago; at this time he's
basically in a holding pattern due to personal business...

Latest posts

Back