New member from Zeeland, mi.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spock

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have been building and flying model rockets on and off since 1966. Growing up during the race to the moon I was totally engrossed in the activity of reading and watching everything that was avaialable from mercury to the first step on the moon. I am probably one of the few that actually watched our last flight to the moon, public interest drops off quickly after the “climax” is over. I mostly build scale model rockets but also enjoy sci-fy models as well. I am recently retired and now back in the hobby full force. I am a member of the SMASH rocket club which has a launch field in Muskegon Michigan. I am just beginning construction on an Apogee Zephyr kit and this years‘ goal is to get my L1 certification. I dabble in electronics and have several 3D printers of type FDM and SLA. Currently I am utilizing Fusion 360 for modeling my rocket components to be able to create and enhace details on some of my current rockets and building up to larger scales. I have been monitoring and reading about others experiences on this forum and decided it was time to join the conversations.

:welcome:

Post up some photo's of your fleet... there are a bunch of Born Again Rocketeers (BAR) here, so you are in good company.

Live Long, And Prosper.

Well welcome aboard
Enjoy…..
definitely A lot of interesting and knowledgeable conversations take placeThroughout the forums

Oh and pictures we love rocketry photos do share

Last edited:
Rockets everywhere. Everything is a work in progress experimenting with printing my own vinyl wraps to 3D printing components. Also sorting through my vintage collection, making repairs and readying for flight yet again.

Attachments

• 20220625_103920.jpg
    20220625_103920.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220625_104225.jpg
    20220625_104225.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 0
I have several Cesaroni casings. I have been looking at the 38mm loads and I dont want to send it into orbit, just want a successful flight as this high power stuff Is new to me. May even just put an Aerotec single use in it just to keep it simple. Been doing lots of reading and it's now time to go for launch. I learn by doing and failure is part of the lessons!

I have several Cesaroni casings. I have been looking at the 38mm loads and I dont want to send it into orbit, just want a successful flight as this high power stuff Is new to me. May even just put an Aerotec single use in it just to keep it simple. Been doing lots of reading and it's now time to go for launch. I learn by doing and failure is part of the lessons!
Interesting.

AeroTech has a 38mm G casing that would be ideal for test flights. But then again, they offer plenty of more versatile options in smaller diameters that an adapter would open up.

I’d also agree that a single-use for the cert is the way to go unless you’re intimately familiar with reloadables.

Yes, want to keep it simple. After I get certified I will be able to freely play and learn the reloadables. Looking forward to the expanded possibilities that the reloadables will offer. I also have craft cutters and have been working on methods to apply more surface "textures" to my scale projects. I attached a photo of my Saturn V for example. I 3D printed a cone for the LM shroud and applied a layered vinyl detail to it. Did the same with the chrome on the command module. It came out really nice.

Attachments

• 20200613_183007.jpg
    20200613_183007.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 0
Hey I'm in Wyoming MI. I launch with SMASH all the time, they even tricked me into being secretary one year. (I'm a terrible secretary). I work in Holland too so I zoom by Zeeland just about every day. Feel free to message me if you have any questions about you level 1, I'll be happy to help and witness your flight. Also I should be launching my 5.5in super payloader DX3 on an M4500 in July, should be a fun launch!

Sounds like the July launch day is goi g to be a blast! I just received my Zephyr last Friday and then promptly headed out camping the next day. I am excited to focus on getting it built in time for July launch. It seems like a very straightforward build and I ha e a lot of faith in Apogee rockets! I will keep in contact as the date gets closer! Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum and Greetings from a place near Las Vegas. I'm a former Michigander myself. Grew up in Pinckney. Near Ann Arbor. Left in 1979. Along a long a winding way we ended up in Vegas in '91. Been here ever since. I'm 66 and watched all the space shots too. I was able to see the last Shuttle go up. In '79 I saw the Enterprise come in on the 747. And was able to walk around it later. Part of my life I lived in Melbourne Florida. When we went to the beach we could see the gantries at the Cape. I got to see a lot of launches that year.

Welcome to the party Spock! On our little forum you may not be one of the few. :)

amrstrong, aldrin, collins.JPG

Welcome! I use to live in Midland but now live near Indpls. Another club to visit is the Michiana group. They fly near New Buffalo during the winter when the crops harvested.
A goal I had for all my certs was to succeed the first time. I did this by keeping it simple, practice with lots of low and mid powered flights, learning from those around me, reading lots of info, etc. As I moved into HP, I made a lot of rookie mistakes. In fact there's an entire thread on rookie mistakes.
Plus have fun and enjoy what aspect of rocketry that appeals to you. Again, welcome back!

Thanks for the advice. I have been reading lots of threads here and take all the advice seriously. I share a major concern as many others in being as safe as possible. After 911 I was concerned we would still be allowed to even continue to pursue this sport. Successful self governing is always better than the alternative!

Hey I'm in Wyoming MI. I launch with SMASH all the time, they even tricked me into being secretary one year. (I'm a terrible secretary). I work in Holland too so I zoom by Zeeland just about every day. Feel free to message me if you have any questions about you level 1, I'll be happy to help and witness your flight. Also I should be launching my 5.5in super payloader DX3 on an M4500 in July, should be a fun launch!
I am going to really focus.on the Zephyr build this week. If you would'nt mind I would be grateful if in the coming weeks you could stop by and give it a check over and maybe some lessons on chute packing and prepping. I live very close to the Herman Miller plant which is very close to the highway and chicago drive. Thanks.

Your one exit off from my work commute. Send me a private message when you want to meet. Give me a couple of days notice I don't always check the rocketry forum.

Latest posts

Back