New Member / Estes Doorknob Build / High Power Mods

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spacey

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am a first year college STEM student and have seen many builds in the past but this will be my first attempt. I am working on modifying the Estes Doorknob to fly on an H motor in order to earn my Level 1 Cert. on Saturday 9/18 (included build pictures) it's still in the finishing stages.

I am super excited to be apart of the community!!

Attachments

• Cardstock.Balsa Laminated Fins.JPG
    Cardstock.Balsa Laminated Fins.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Laminated Cardstock.Balsa. Fins.JPG
    Laminated Cardstock.Balsa. Fins.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Centering Ring with Shock Cord Hardware.jpg
    Centering Ring with Shock Cord Hardware.jpg
    579.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Centering Rings with Shock Cord Hardware.JPG
    Centering Rings with Shock Cord Hardware.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Centering Ring.jpg
    Centering Ring.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Motor Mount.jpg
    Motor Mount.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Custom made Nose Cone with Electronic's Bay.jpg
    Custom made Nose Cone with Electronic's Bay.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Custom Made Electronic's Bay.jpg
    Custom Made Electronic's Bay.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Custom Nose Cone Electronic's Bay with Shock Cord Hardware..jpg
    Custom Nose Cone Electronic's Bay with Shock Cord Hardware..jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Unicorn Bottom.jpg
    Unicorn Bottom.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

I am a first year college STEM student and have seen many builds in the past but this will be my first attempt. I am working on modifying the Estes Doorknob to fly on an H motor in order to earn my Level 1 Cert. on Saturday 9/18 (included build pictures) it's still in the finishing stages.

I am super excited to be apart of the community!!
Is it just me or does the 2nd to last photo look like a weird fish...looking straight at ya?

Welcome aboard and good luck on the Level 1 flight
What motor did you decide on for your cert flight

More pictures.. Primed & waiting to be painted!!

Attachments

• IMG_8080.jpg
    IMG_8080.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_8081.JPG
    IMG_8081.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_8083.jpg
    IMG_8083.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 43
More pictures.. Primed & waiting to be painted!!
I have a Doorknob w/Vanderburn upgrade (plywood fins and centering rings) that is on pause for two reasons and your pics reminded me of one. I also cut the bottom of the nosecone off but now the length of shoulder remaining is quite short. They say it should be about 1 body diameter, but if your cut is like mine, it's about 1/2 the body diameter now. I've been considering trying to glue the lower half back on (with reinforcement) after I add some variable weight to the nose, but I haven't settled on a system for that, which would still be adjustable after I put the shoulder back together. I also thought about attaching the original card stock centering rings on the bottom of the cut nosecone. That doesn't buy me a lot of length though and still makes any variable weight system difficult to manipulate. Now I'm contemplating some kind of wireframe-like nose extension. Kinda like this https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:47015 but made of something more like popsicle sticks/tongue depressors

Welcome to the forum. You seem to have some skill, and I have no doubt you will get your L1.

My only suggestion, based on what I've seen, is for future builds, if you move on to bigger rockets and motors: stop using bent-wire eye-bolts, and use one-piece lifting or forged eye-bolts. A little over-energetic pull on the bent-wire eye-bolt can pull it apart just enough to allow the harness to slide off.

Rare, and probably not a concern for you right now. Just something to keep in mind.

Hi Spacey,

I ran an open rocket sim on a doorknob with plywood fins and rings with a little nose weight :
1.14 caliber stability
19 oz with an Aerotech H165R loaded
82 MPH off the rod
536 MPH
36 G's yikes !
2108 feet apogee
(don't blink you'll miss it)

Can't wait to see the vid !

Zeta

Last edited:
I have a Doorknob w/Vanderburn upgrade (plywood fins and centering rings) that is on pause for two reasons and your pics reminded me of one. I also cut the bottom of the nosecone off but now the length of shoulder remaining is quite short. They say it should be about 1 body diameter, but if your cut is like mine, it's about 1/2 the body diameter now. I've been considering trying to glue the lower half back on (with reinforcement) after I add some variable weight to the nose, but I haven't settled on a system for that, which would still be adjustable after I put the shoulder back together. I also thought about attaching the original card stock centering rings on the bottom of the cut nosecone. That doesn't buy me a lot of length though and still makes any variable weight system difficult to manipulate. Now I'm contemplating some kind of wireframe-like nose extension. Kinda like this https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:47015 but made of something more like popsicle sticks/tongue depressors

You are absolutely right, After running the sim, I realized my nose cone is way to light. Need to add some type of variable weight to the nose cone due to the HPM. I was thinking derby weights?

Welcome to the forum. You seem to have some skill, and I have no doubt you will get your L1.

My only suggestion, based on what I've seen, is for future builds, if you move on to bigger rockets and motors: stop using bent-wire eye-bolts, and use one-piece lifting or forged eye-bolts. A little over-energetic pull on the bent-wire eye-bolt can pull it apart just enough to allow the harness to slide off.

Rare, and probably not a concern for you right now. Just something to keep in mind.

I was unable to find them @ HD, next build I'll have to order online. Thank you!!

That's a lot of negative gravity!

?? Would adding weight to the nose cone fix this, I plan on adding just trying to figure out the best way to do that. Was looking at Derby weights from the hobby shop but not 100% sure.

I finished the fillets last night, still need another coat of primer then paint but hoping to figure this stability issue out before the launch this Saturday AM! o_O

Attachments

• Fillets2.jpg
    Fillets2.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Fillets.jpg
    Fillets.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 24
You are absolutely right, After running the sim, I realized my nose cone is way to light. Need to add some type of variable weight to the nose cone due to the HPM. I was thinking derby weights?

A common way is to cast your own by mixing BB's, lead shot, fishing line weights, etc into epoxy. For a permanent weight, pour it where you want it. Cast it in slugs to stack in a tube, cylinders to slide into all-thread, dowel, smaller tube...

?? Would adding weight to the nose cone fix this, I plan on adding just trying to figure out the best way to do that. Was looking at Derby weights from the hobby shop but not 100% sure.
A lot of folks do lead shot mixed with epoxy, but I personally never have any shot laying around. I tend to use nuts/bolts/large washers. You could scuff up some large washers and epoxy them to your nose cone e-bay sled. I would try to stay away from putting the weight at the tip of the nose cone (where you'd normally want to put it) because I think that would exacerbate your short nose cone shoulder. It'll make the nose cone want to pivot back and forth while it's seated in the tube if u know what I mean. If u keep the weight closer to the shoulder, you'll have less of an issue with that.

I you wanted to do something removable you just have to make it removable from the sled, so you could put a stubby bolt or two though the sled and put some washers and a locking but in the other side to hold it in place. Then u could change the number and size of the washers, nuts, bolts etc

If your margin of stability is 1.14, then you don't need nose weight. But I would suggest a lower thrust motor. 36G might tear up a cardboard rocket. How about the H128W? Little longer burn, lower thrust, less G's pulled.

Hello Spacey. I think you’ve set yourself quite a challenge for your first rocket. Your build photos look fine but flying and recovering one of these hotrodded Estes models might be a step too far. Are you still planning on going for it tomorrow ? Where are you flying ?

I use stacked fender washers on a central eye bolt through the bulkhead.... there is a 2.75" that is space efficient for a 3 inch tube.

Hello Spacey. I think you’ve set yourself quite a challenge for your first rocket. Your build photos look fine but flying and recovering one of these hotrodded Estes models might be a step too far. Are you still planning on going for it tomorrow ? Where are you flying ?

I still hope to launch tomorrow at the SRA monthly launch. Ive equipped it with tracking on the nose cone sled, and deciding on maybe a smaller motor.

Ok, good luck. Motor deploy of recovery device, right ? Not dual deploy or delayed deploy ? What’s the SRA field like ? Have you talked to those folks yet ?

Thank you! Yes, It is motor deploy recovery. I have never used their fields, but have spoken to them a couple times as far as their inventory and directions.

I ended up using the self adhesive derby weights && attached them to the back of my sled.

Attachments

• 6A06011E-8DD4-417A-BF8C-5093EC093BBE.jpeg
    6A06011E-8DD4-417A-BF8C-5093EC093BBE.jpeg
    52 KB · Views: 13
  • 1D8AB74F-10B0-4332-A248-7E2EEDD8C80D.jpeg
    1D8AB74F-10B0-4332-A248-7E2EEDD8C80D.jpeg
    57.6 KB · Views: 12
  • F6B361D1-A683-4CAF-8887-091D258E6A22.jpeg
    F6B361D1-A683-4CAF-8887-091D258E6A22.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 12
  • DF117C97-AFB4-4489-AB16-4B2555F1E615.jpeg
    DF117C97-AFB4-4489-AB16-4B2555F1E615.jpeg